The Bone Detectives: How Forensic…

The Bone Detectives: How Forensic Anthropologists Solve Crimes and Uncover…

by Donna M. Jackson

I would use this book in an older setting of children since it deals with death and some grotesque topics, however, I do feel that it is important for the students to learn about if they can handle it. I would use this book in the classroom to teach the human anatomy of the body and relate it to career extensions. I would use this book in a literature context by having my students create a fictional crime solver story on how they used what they learned from the text inside of a murder mystery of their own. I would also have students create their own student friendly version of an informational text covering what they learned in their text. ( )
  Amanda11 | Apr 14, 2016 |
Summary: This book tells us about how the talented Dr. Michael Charney worked tirelessly to identify a skeleton that was unearthed at a Boy Scout Camp. By examining the teeth, pelvis, skull, and the radius he and Angela Nelson were able to recreate her facial features. With this recreation, a man called and said that he recognized her. From the groups hard work, they were able to determine that the woman's name was Bun Chee Nyhuis and she was accidentally killed by her husband who was prosecuted and is serving a life sentence in prison. Additionally, this book discusses the bones of Lucy, the Iceman, and Jesse James.

Reactions: I remember reading this book when I was a kid, because I was interested in some pretty morbid things :) This book started my love for bones, and made me want to work in the death industry, as either a forensic analyst or a mortician. I still want to pursue that dream sometime down the line.

Classroom Extensions: 1. This would be a great book to read in conjunction with career week. I think it is important to show children the infinite career options out there, and this is a pretty exciting one.

2. This could work well when we are learning about bones. It shows a practical application of their knowledge, so they don't feel like they are studying these things for no reason.

3. There are some pretty awesome anatomy coloring sheets out there, I would print some off and have the kids color code and study the bones in the body. ( )
  emcnally | Apr 4, 2016 |
While it is not a book I would typically read, "The Bone Detectives" by Donna M. Jackson was enthralling and I could not put it down. Jackson very artfully sheds light on how forensic anthropologists study the bones of the deceased and in most cases, bring their story to life and often bring them justice.

Forensic anthropology is something I have seen in various crime television shows over the years, but I never really had a clear understanding of how it worked, until this book. With amazing pictures, Jackson begins by introducing the field of forensic anthropology and Dr. Michael Charney, who is only one of about 175 bone detectives practicing in the U.S. and Canada. Also within the introduction is a comical picture of Dr. Charney laughing on the phone with shelves and shelves full of human skeletons behind him next to pictures of his family and grandchildren-I couldn't help but giggle at first sight of this.

Jackson then delves into the many ways in which Dr. Charney uses bones in order to write a bone biography, in which he tells what race, gender, age, signs of violence, anomalies, etc. the bones reveal. My favorite part of this book was that it actually gave case examples of bones being used to identify someone and ascertain how they were murdered. For example, the case of Bun Chee Nyhuis, whose bones lead police to her killer through various bone study techniques.

Great read and very informational, I recommend this to anyone no matter what their certain interests are!
  ADReed | Mar 30, 2015 |
For students who watch Bones on television, this is the perfect companion book! This book tells many stories of how forensic anthropologists solve crimes and uncover how someone died. Each case is presented as a “forensic file.” Details are given about where the evidence was found and photos show the crime scene as well as photos in the lab. It is amazing to see what can be discovered about a person from the study of their bones. This is a fascinating, quick read that would appeal to students in grades 4-7. ( )
  melissadorish | Dec 7, 2012 |
This book gives tons of information on bones and what they can show us. There are chapters that give brief historic stories. Also the back pages give a glossary on some tough words and a labeled skeleton. ( )
  michelleraphael | Jul 10, 2011 |

Donna M. Jacksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fellenbaum, CharliePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316829358, Hardcover)

In 1987, a skeleton was turned up near a Boy Scout camp in Missouri. A forensic anthropologist was brought and, using clues from the skeleton and some decaying clothes found nearby, determined that the victim was a young Asian woman. From there, police where able to determine the identity first of the victim and then of her killer. Using the Missouri case as a jumping-off point, The Bone Detectives provides an introduction for young readers to the science of forensics. Written for curious readers who are approaching adolescence, this book is sure to appeal to the nearly universal interest that age group exhibits for the macabre and the horrible.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:59 -0400)

Explores the world of forensic anthropology and its applications in solving crimes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,385,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible