Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Fingersmith (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Sarah Waters

5,015None901 (4.06)802
Member:Florama
Title:Fingersmith
Authors:Sarah Waters
Info:Virago Press (2003), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 560 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, British, LGBT, Victorian, historical fiction

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (2002)

Recently added byskullduggery, patsaintsfan, lottpoet, whines, Lisa.Johnson.James, private library, pridelib
1001 (53) 1001 books (47) 19th century (112) 21st century (32) booker prize shortlist (44) British (92) British literature (34) crime (85) England (144) fiction (721) gay (36) gothic (50) historical (157) historical fiction (415) lesbian (218) lgbt (60) London (142) mystery (133) novel (84) queer (65) read (75) romance (75) suspense (37) thieves (43) thriller (37) to-read (143) unread (50) Victorian (218) Victorian England (49) women (47)

English (171)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (175)
I don't give 4 or 5 star reviews very often, so when I do, the book has to have really impressed me. This one, written in our modern age, is a true Victorian Gothic novel. This story revolves around 2 orphaned girls, Susan & Maud. Maud was raised as a gentlewoman on a large estate in the country by her uncle, an eccentric scholar. Susan was raised in an area of London known as The Borough, by a partnership of "sharpers", meaning thieves & fences. However, when a plan is cooked up & Susan sent to the country to become Maud's new maid in a money bilking scheme, is when the story starts to spin. The plot twists spin, & spin again until you're just about dizzy with it. It's funny, sad, touching, shocking, & mesmerizing all at the same time. Any fan of historical fiction is going to LOVE this one.

The author is an award winning one, & this book itself was short listed for the prestigious Man Booker prize back in 2002. Even though it didn't win, it was an honor just to be nominated, & even more to be drawn for the short list of books considered.

It's on one of the various editions of 1001 Books To Read Before You Die...which is where I found it. WELL worth the read! ( )
1 vote Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
An odd little Gothic historical fiction... Tragic, and I haven't decided whether it was sexy or not. I didn't love it but couldn't stop reading. Convoluted story. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |

Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林玉葳Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Усова, НинаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sally O-J
My name, in those days, was Susan Trinder.
"You've heard, perhaps, of my Index? ... Has there ever been its like? A universal bibliography, and on such a theme? They say the science is a dead one amongst Englishmen. ... Fantastic, when one knows the degrees of obscurity in which my subject is shrouded. ... the authors of the texts I collect must cloak their identity in deception and anonymity. The texts themselves are stamped with every kind of false and misleading detail as to place and date of publication and impress. They are burdened with obscure titles. They must pass darkly, via secret channels, or on the wings of rumour and supposition. Consider those checks to the bibliographer's progress. Then speak to me, sir, of fantastic labour!" ... "And the Index is organized --?" "By title, by name, by date when we have it; and, mark this, sir; by species of pleasure. We have them tabled, most precisely."
Please do not combine Fingersmith the novel with Fingersmith the DVD.

From Front Flap of the dust jacket:
"London 1862. Sue Trinder, orphaned at birth, grows up among petty thieves -- fingersmiths -- under the rough but loving care of Mrs. Sucksby and her 'family'. But from the moment she draws breath, Sue's fate is linked to that of another orphan growing up in a gloomy mansion not too many miles away.

From the celebrated author of Tipping the Velvet and Affinity-- a modern-day Charles Dickens or Wilkie Collins -- comes an extraordinary, ingenious tale of fraud, insanity and secrets."
"Mrs Sucksby was a devil with her dander up."  (lizchris)

Sue Trinder is an orphan, left as an infant in the care of Mrs. Sucksby, a "baby farmer," who raised her with unusual tenderness, as if Sue were her own. Mrs. Sucksby's household, with its fussy babies calmed with doses of gin, also hosts a transient family of petty thieves-fingersmiths-for whom this house in the heart of a mean London slum is home. One day, the most beloved thief of all arrives-Gentleman, a somewhat elegant con man, who carries with him an enticing proposition for Sue: If she wins a position as the maid to Maud Lilly, a nave gentlewoman, and aids Gentleman in her seduction, then they will all share in Maud's vast inheritance. Once the inheritance is secured, Maud will be left to live out her days in a mental hospital. With dreams of paying back the kindness of her adopted family, Sue agrees to the plan. Once in, however, Sue begins to pity her helpless mark and care for Maud Lilly in unexpected ways . . . . But no one and nothing is as it seems in this Dickensian novel of thrills and surprises. --Publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible