Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Fingersmith (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Sarah Waters

5,258192842 (4.07)946
Member:Florama
Title:Fingersmith
Authors:Sarah Waters
Info:Virago Press (2003), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 560 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, British, LGBT, Victorian, historical fiction

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (2002)

English (188)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (192)
Wow, I don't want to give it away, so I won't, but Waters' does a great job playing the waiting game. She also creates huge tension and then, I felt, satisfaction, with a major event or information that gives the story another facet. ( )
  jenngv | Jun 25, 2015 |
Me la pasé sorprendiendome mientras lo leía .

Al menos cada diez capítulos me sobresaltaba , boquiabierta y exclamando : "Nooo!!!" y "OH!" .

Si fuese un hombre del SXIX vestido de frac y sombrero de copa , se me hubiera caído el monóculo varias veces . ( )
1 vote LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Decent read from what I remember ( )
  libgirl69 | May 22, 2015 |
Now this really is a cracking novel. I recommend you read it. It's as if Wilkie Collins had sat down to write The Woman in White and had thought "Actually, I think she might be a lesbian..."

It's not quite as shock-packed as it's progenitor but there's enough to make you gasp more than once. Great red-herrings too. At one point I was thinking "My God, they're sisters and they've just..!" Let's just say that there's a double meaning in the title. ( )
  Lukerik | May 13, 2015 |
I really, REALLY wanted to love this one. I enjoy Water's atmospheric settings, the way she gets inside the characters' minds and the intricate plots she weaves, but darn it all..... this was a bit of slog for me. I have learned that Waters works best as an author when I am able to commit 100% to reading her stories, like when I am on vacation, and RL doesn't interrupt my reading. I plowed through the first 150 pages in one afternoon and was hooked but having to resort to dipping in and out of the story with a busy RL schedule made it impossible for me to reconnect with the story. I had lost that bond. I also found the story to be rather Dickensian in feel, more so than her other books I have read so far - The Night Watch and The Little Stranger - which didn't work in my favor after my somewhat disastrous encounter with [Bleak House] this time last year. I still have evil thoughts about that one. ;-)

On the positive side, I really like the way Waters shifts the point of view from Susan, to Maud and back to Susan again. I just wish the story didn't go on and on and on for the last 150 pages and as for the ending.... well,.... a bit sloppy IMO and kind of a quick out for Waters to wrap up the story. All that being said, I still appreciate the gifted writer that Waters is and will probably read more of her books, but not rushing out to pick up Tipping the Velvet or Affinity any time soon. ( )
1 vote lkernagh | Mar 9, 2015 |

Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林玉葳Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Усова, НинаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sally O-J
My name, in those days, was Susan Trinder.
"You've heard, perhaps, of my Index? ... Has there ever been its like? A universal bibliography, and on such a theme? They say the science is a dead one amongst Englishmen. ... Fantastic, when one knows the degrees of obscurity in which my subject is shrouded. ... the authors of the texts I collect must cloak their identity in deception and anonymity. The texts themselves are stamped with every kind of false and misleading detail as to place and date of publication and impress. They are burdened with obscure titles. They must pass darkly, via secret channels, or on the wings of rumour and supposition. Consider those checks to the bibliographer's progress. Then speak to me, sir, of fantastic labour!" ... "And the Index is organized --?" "By title, by name, by date when we have it; and, mark this, sir; by species of pleasure. We have them tabled, most precisely."
Please do not combine Fingersmith the novel with Fingersmith the DVD.

From Front Flap of the dust jacket:
"London 1862. Sue Trinder, orphaned at birth, grows up among petty thieves -- fingersmiths -- under the rough but loving care of Mrs. Sucksby and her 'family'. But from the moment she draws breath, Sue's fate is linked to that of another orphan growing up in a gloomy mansion not too many miles away.

From the celebrated author of Tipping the Velvet and Affinity-- a modern-day Charles Dickens or Wilkie Collins -- comes an extraordinary, ingenious tale of fraud, insanity and secrets."
"Mrs Sucksby was a devil with her dander up."  (lizchris)

Sue Trinder is an orphan, left as an infant in the care of Mrs. Sucksby, a "baby farmer," who raised her with unusual tenderness, as if Sue were her own. Mrs. Sucksby's household, with its fussy babies calmed with doses of gin, also hosts a transient family of petty thieves-fingersmiths-for whom this house in the heart of a mean London slum is home. One day, the most beloved thief of all arrives-Gentleman, a somewhat elegant con man, who carries with him an enticing proposition for Sue: If she wins a position as the maid to Maud Lilly, a nave gentlewoman, and aids Gentleman in her seduction, then they will all share in Maud's vast inheritance. Once the inheritance is secured, Maud will be left to live out her days in a mental hospital. With dreams of paying back the kindness of her adopted family, Sue agrees to the plan. Once in, however, Sue begins to pity her helpless mark and care for Maud Lilly in unexpected ways . . . . But no one and nothing is as it seems in this Dickensian novel of thrills and surprises. --Publisher.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,916,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible