The Yard by Alex Grecian

The Yard (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Alex Grecian

Member:thiscatsabroad
Title:The Yard
Authors:Alex Grecian
Info:Putnam Adult (2012), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:***

The Yard by Alex Grecian (2012)

Recently added byseth_g, mtnmdjd, randy_h, SherrieB, vnesting, books_ofa_feather, private library, Jon_Terry, trishaj
    The Alienist by Caleb Carr (majkia)
    majkia: similar in that both books - although one in New York, one in London - follow the beginnings of modern forensics and modern policing.
    The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye (InvisiblerMan)
    In the Shadow of Gotham by Stefanie Pintoff (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both of these works deal with the emerging science of forensics to solve difficult cases.

Fans of The Interpretation of Murder will love The Yard? I am not surprised, the former being one of the most boring books it has ever been my misfortune to read. The author is totally ignorant of Victorian Britain, Scotland Yard not to mention Dickens and Poe.
Another disgruntled reader having already noted the many Americanisms present; there is no need for me to mention them.
Was this an attempt to emulate Patricia Cornwell and introduce a Victorian Kay Scarpetta? Maybe, but that would have taken talent... and, by the way, I am not one of Patricia Cornwell's fans. Give it a miss. ( )
  Boyard | Oct 22, 2014 |
40 pages. That's all I could do. The narrative is sparse and unoriginal. The dialogue aimless and fit for 7 year-olds. Absolutely nothing interesting to see here. It made me ask myself once again, can a good story still be good if written poorly? My answer is on its way to a big fat NO. Because most stories have been told, it seems the only indication or requisite of a modern "good" work of fiction is that it's written well, written with peculiar insight, written with a modicum of fucking talent. I never thought we'd live in a time where Stephen King is the literary genius of the age, but he has become so because the crap that has come out in the past ten years has made him appear our generation's Nabokov. Nothing against Mr. King, of course. He writes well. He's just not a genius. We're talking relativism here.

If you have a discerning mind, this ain't gonna cut it. If you're into airport reads, give a whirl and go kill yourself when you're done.

Listen, I didn't expect Mr. Grecian to floor me with his literary prowess, but I did expect him to deliver, at the very least, a solid Victorian prose, or at least put me in the heads of the characters with a unique perspective on their psychology. Nope. Maybe he researched the era and he gives us a good, accurate history, but part of the fun of reading a period piece is that you put us there with your language, with your depth of understanding of the people of the time. If one does not begin with this the history of it falls apart, for we are not convinced, nor are we even moderately entertained. For we do not believe you.

Congratulations, Mr. Grecian, on getting your work published, but it's not good. You've got the platform, now put some effort into your prose and don't get cute with the dialogue, it's transparent and juvenile. Do this, or stick to comic books. There are talented writers out there that are dying for the shelf space at Barnes and Noble. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
"The Yard" started out slowly for me. It took a bit of reading to get to know the characters because there were quite a few. About a third of the way through the action picks up and it is easy to follow the chapters as they go from one set of characters to another. The historic details are well done and the characters' back stories are interesting and give an idea of their motivation but some of the flashbacks seem a bit awkwardly placed.

This was an interesting first novel in an historic police procedural series. I look forward to learning more about the main characters in the next installments.
  Familyhistorian | Sep 21, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lots of potential in this Victorian Age mystery but the story seems to come out in fits and starts. Not a series that I will rush to read. ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 2, 2014 |
Rather disappointing. This could have been an excellent novel, but somehow Alex Grecian never really seemed to get hold of it, and the plot and characters just slipped away.

It is set in 1889, when London is still bruised by the unsolved 'Jack the Ripper' murders. As the novel opens, newly promoted Inspector Day is summoned to Euston Square Station where an abandoned trunk has been found. The trunk contains a body, and not just any body but that of Inspector Little. He has been murdered and his lips have been sewn together. Day's investigations anre helped by Dr Kingsley, perhaps the earliest forensic scientist.

This could all have been so good! Sadly, the writer seemed to lack the ability to pull this all together in any convincing manner. There seems to be a prevailing fascination with crime stories set in bygone ages, but I worry that while the writers make huge efforts to ensure historic verisimilitude, researching their context fully, they forget the basics such as having a robust, credible plot, or creating characters who behave like people! ( )
  Eyejaybee | Aug 23, 2014 |
Readers who enter The Yard’s world-on-the-edge-of-change will be counting days until the sequel, hoping to meet some of these great characters again.

Alex Grecianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cavanaugh, MeighanBook designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, SaraJacket designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you wake at midnight, and hear a horse's feet,
Don't go drawing back the blind, or looking in the street.
Them that asks no questions isn't told a lie.
Watch the wall, my darling, while the Gentlemen go by!

- Rudyard Kipling, "A Smuggler's Song"
For Charity,
who will inspect this dedication
for plot holes.
London, 1889. Nobody noticed when Inspector Christian Little of Scotland Yard disappeared, and nobody was looking for him when he was found.

Victorian London is a cesspool of crime, and Scotland Yard has only 12 detectives - known as “The Murder Squad” - to investigate thousands of murders every month. Created after the Metropolitan Police’s spectacular failure to capture Jack the Ripper, The Murder Squad suffers rampant public contempt. They have failed their citizens. But no one can anticipate the brutal murder of one of their own... one of the 12....
When Walter Day, the squad’s newest hire, is assigned the case of the murdered detective, he finds a strange ally in the Yard’s first forensic pathologist, Dr. Bernard Kingsley. Together they track the killer, who clearly is not finished with The Murder Squad.... but why?
Filled with fascinating period detail, and real historical figures, this spectacular debut in a new series showcases the depravity of late Victorian London, the advent of criminology, and introduces a stunning new cast of characters sure to appeal to fans of The Sherlockian and The Alienist.

Suffering public contempt after the Metropolitan Police's failure to capture Jack the Ripper, Walter Day, a member of Victorian London's recently formed "Murder Squad," partners with Scotland Yard's first forensic pathologist to track down a killer who is targeting their colleagues.… (more)

84 wanted2 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Yard by Alex Grecian was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,511,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible