The Yard by Alex Grecian

The Yard (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Alex Grecian

Member:thiscatsabroad
Title:The Yard
Authors:Alex Grecian
Info:Putnam Adult (2012), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:***

The Yard by Alex Grecian (2012)

The Alienist by Caleb Carr (majkia)
    majkia: similar in that both books - although one in New York, one in London - follow the beginnings of modern forensics and modern policing.
    The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye (InvisiblerMan)
    In the Shadow of Gotham by Stefanie Pintoff (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both of these works deal with the emerging science of forensics to solve difficult cases.

Being a fan of Anne Perry, I thought I would expand my Victorian mystery circle. I was disappointed in this as I found it a confusing and once the author tells us who did it, I lost interest as none of the other characters had caught my attention. I have read other mysteries where the killer is revealed early on and kept reading because I liked the others in the book or because I was curious as to how the killer was finally caught. Unfortunately, this this not happen with this book. Also, I didn't find the investigation credible. ( )
  Maya47Bob46 | May 28, 2014 |
Debut novel concerning Scotland Yard Murder Squad in the 1890s. Intriguing characters, good plot, great dialogue. Even though you know whodunit by the middle of the book, you want to read to the end to see how it works out. ( )
  powertriangle | May 26, 2014 |
This is one damn good mystery novel. I could barely put it down and when I got close to the end I had to finish it. I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  Philip100 | Apr 24, 2014 |
Since you find out who-done-it pretty early on in the book, I was surprised how tense and thrilling this book was. Enjoyable read. ( )
  Aronfish | Apr 22, 2014 |
This is the first book in the Scotland Yard Murder Squad series.
I would have never picked this up on my own, since mainly when I go into a bookstore I make a bee-line for the YA section. However, my boyfriend was searching through the New Release display at our local bookstore and saw The Black Country (the second book in the series) on the shelves. He read the back and immediately said, “You need to read this series, Jas. This book IS you.”
Of course, I am neither a book series NOR am I an 18th century London detective, however, The Yard has many of my favorite Bookish ingredients: mystery, the somehow-both-gritty-and-elegant ambiance of Victorian London, murder, and of course, a hint of adorable romantic dynamics as well; the perfect book for a frigid, overcast January day.
In the wake of their failure to capture and bring to justice the infamous Jack the Ripper, one of Scotland Yard’s homicide detectives is murdered – and the police fear that there are other serial murderers, like Jack, may now be at large – and targeting their own.
The task of solving the murder falls to Walter Day, a young, newly appointed detective on the recently formed Murder Squad at Scotland Yard. The safety and reputation of Scotland Yard rest on Day’s shoulders as he struggles to fill the very talented and loved shoes of his predecessor. I will not go into detail about the plot, since I prefer to let readers go into a book as blind as possible.
The mystery itself is nothing special – especially if you like to watch a lot of CSI (or, like me, marathon Castle whenever you get the chance), but it is captivating and easy to get absorbed into. I fell in love with Walter’s humility and determination and the almost child-like tenacity of incredibly perceptive and intellectual Dr. Bernard Kingsley, who is a pioneer of forensics. I usually find it difficult to really love characters in adult fiction, but I found myself heavily invested in each character’s stories.
I also loved how the story was told from multiple points in time, focusing on multiple characters. It gives the reader a chance to piece together the several cases and mysteries that arise and work out how each character fits into the story. Knowing more than each character does alone is incredibly frustrating at times – but it’s not a decent novel unless you have a strong urge to throw it against the wall at least once.
On a five-star rating system, I’d give this a 3.5. Just shy of t 4 because it gets a little slow/hard to read at some points, however definitely worth the read if you’re into criminal dramas and mysteries. ( )
1 vote jseguin | Mar 31, 2014 |
Readers who enter The Yard’s world-on-the-edge-of-change will be counting days until the sequel, hoping to meet some of these great characters again.

Alex Grecianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cavanaugh, MeighanBook designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, SaraJacket designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you wake at midnight, and hear a horse's feet,
Don't go drawing back the blind, or looking in the street.
Them that asks no questions isn't told a lie.
Watch the wall, my darling, while the Gentlemen go by!

- Rudyard Kipling, "A Smuggler's Song"
For Charity,
who will inspect this dedication
for plot holes.
London, 1889. Nobody noticed when Inspector Christian Little of Scotland Yard disappeared, and nobody was looking for him when he was found.

Victorian London is a cesspool of crime, and Scotland Yard has only 12 detectives - known as “The Murder Squad” - to investigate thousands of murders every month. Created after the Metropolitan Police’s spectacular failure to capture Jack the Ripper, The Murder Squad suffers rampant public contempt. They have failed their citizens. But no one can anticipate the brutal murder of one of their own... one of the 12....
When Walter Day, the squad’s newest hire, is assigned the case of the murdered detective, he finds a strange ally in the Yard’s first forensic pathologist, Dr. Bernard Kingsley. Together they track the killer, who clearly is not finished with The Murder Squad.... but why?
Filled with fascinating period detail, and real historical figures, this spectacular debut in a new series showcases the depravity of late Victorian London, the advent of criminology, and introduces a stunning new cast of characters sure to appeal to fans of The Sherlockian and The Alienist.

Suffering public contempt after the Metropolitan Police's failure to capture Jack the Ripper, Walter Day, a member of Victorian London's recently formed "Murder Squad," partners with Scotland Yard's first forensic pathologist to track down a killer who is targeting their colleagues.… (more)

84 wanted2 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Yard by Alex Grecian was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,249,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible