Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Replacement Wife by Eileen Goudge

The Replacement Wife

by Eileen Goudge

I thought it was pretty good but annoying too and in the end I found it sad. I started out thinking I would like the protagonist, Camille Hart, but quickly thought she was far too self-satisfied and a good bit on the over-controlling side as well. There was a lot of miscommunication between the characers and damage that could have been avoided had they just been willing to talk to each other. The basic point of the story is that when Camille learns that her cancer has returned and has metastasized, she decides she is going to die, and she also decides that she needs to find someone to take her place for her husband and her children before she dies. But she gets to control who she chooses, and she wants him to accept her choice, but not get too involved at the same time. In short she is working from her head, and from her own unresolved issues surrounding her mothers death when she was 14 and unresolved issues with her father arising from that same event. In the end everyone gets hurt. Yes the husband behaves childishly also, but I am more inclined to forgive him because I don't see from the story that Camille every understands the way her actions felt like a complete betrayal of trust to him. In the end, she lives, they get divorced, and the husband remarries. It seems from the story he learns something about himself and about openness to relationships, and Camille seems to grow up a little but she still seems somehow to have missed something critical. Maybe I jut took the whole thing too seriously. ( )
  dooney | Mar 29, 2014 |

I picked up this book because the dress on the cover caught my eye, and the title is intriguing. The premise hooked me once I read the synopsis.
Camille is a cancer survivor with a successful career as a matchmaker and 20 years of marriage under her belt. She lost her mother when she was a young girl and always felt her life would have been better had her father remarried. So when her cancer recurs, and this time it is terminal, and she realizes her husband didn’t do so well as a ‘single parent’ the first time around, she decides to put her matchmaking skills to work and find her husband his second wife and her children the ideal stepmother! This sounds like a really good idea....until you think about it. Your instinct is to feel sorry for Camille because she is dying. Because her husband, Edward, feels the same way, he reluctantly agrees to go along with her scheme. It turns out, Camille is a bit of a control freak. She wants her husband to bond to the woman SHE picks out, but ONLY the woman she picks out, and not to get TOO intimate....she’s not dead yet! It is not a terrible story; it was actually interesting. But as I read it, I kept thinking, this is a situation where there can be no happily ever after for everyone....someone has to be the loser! Although the story is somewhat predictable, you are never quite sure which way it is going to go until the end. This would be a great ‘summer read’ even though it is not at the top of my list of books I recommend.

My Rating: ★★★ 3 Stars

Why did you choose this book? Look at the cover!
When did you read this book? May 2012
Who should read this book? anyone looking for a quick, entertaining read with a ‘not happily-ever-after’ ending
Source: library ( )
  Time2Read2 | Mar 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I usually like books by Eileen Goudge, but after 2 tries I have given up on this one. It move too slowly, and I just don't connect with any of the characters.
  busyreadin | Mar 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm really at a loss as to how I feel about this book. I loved the premise, a dying wife trying to secure her families future. I was with the book until a little more than half-way through. I understood the husbands reluctance and her insistence at finding someone to take her place and even his wondering why his wife was trying to pawn him off on someone else. I even understood (though didn't condone) the cheating. Where the book lost and irritated me was when she beat her cancer but they got divorced. From there the husband marrying his mistress and our main character ending up alone but content, I just couldn't back that. I gave this book three stars because like I said it did have an interesting premise and held my interest, but I just wasn't satisfied at the end. ( )
1 vote roseysweetpea | Nov 15, 2012 |
A novel that examines the question of to what extent should one spouse arrange for the future life of the other when faced with a fatal diagnosis. Goudge makes Camille Hart a matchmaker by profession which facilitates this story. The upheaval that results and the strained emotions between the husband and wife, and the inevitable ending to the marriage is well handled and makes for an interesting story. ( )
  CarterPJ | Oct 5, 2012 |

From New York Times bestselling author Eileen Goudge comes a poignant new novel that asks the question, “What would you do if you were told you had only six months to live?” For one professional matchmaker the answer is heart-wrenching: She must find her husband’s next wife.

Camille Hart, one of Manhattan’s most sought-after matchmakers, has survived more than her fair share of hardships. Her mother died when she was a young girl, leaving her and her sister with an absentee father. Now in her forties, she has already survived cancer once, though the battle revealed just how ill-equipped her husband Edward is to be a single parent. So when doctors tell Camille that her cancer is back—and this time it’s terminal—she decides to put her matchmaking expertise to the test for one final job. Seeking stability for her children and happiness for her husband, Camille sets out to find the perfect woman to replace her when she’s gone.

But what happens when a dying wish becomes a case of “be careful what you wish for”? For Edward and Camille, the stunning conclusion arrives with one last twist of fate that no one saw coming.

At once deeply felt and witty, The Replacement Wife is an unforgettable story of love and family, and a refreshing look at the unexpected paths that lead us to our own happy endings.

A professional matchmaker finds out she has only 6 months to live, so she goes in search of her husbands next wife.

Eileen Goudge is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Replacement Wife by Eileen Goudge was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,740,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible