Scotland's Empire 1600-1815 by T. M. Devine

Scotland's Empire 1600-1815

by T. M. Devine

I cannot argue that this book fails in research. It is a wonderful look into the history of nearly every event that changed the direction of the Scots in one way or another. I think that many readers who are looking for historical facts will find them here, if you do some looking through the bouncing around of time. More a textbook of the history than an intriguing compilation of facts, anyone expecting a little colorful storytelling with their history should look elsewhere.

Personally, I didn't exactly get what I was expecting and perhaps that is why I found it hard to keep my mind focused on what I was reading. I felt that what I was trying to get out of the book didn't quite seep into my mind the way other books on history have done. This is truly the history of Scotland overall, not only how the recruitment into the British Army and how others participated in slave trade changed how things worked out in America. Australia was included, as well as other parts of the world and I found myself interested in every new section. I really do wish I had been able to remain focused on it in order to retain more.

A wonderful history, well researched, but you really need to be in the mind for the strict factual alignment of the book. Don't pick it up because you want a story of what was, pick it up because you want the exact facts of what happened. ( )
1 vote mirrani | Jun 18, 2013 |
Shows that the defeat of the Highlanders in 1715 and '45 was the condition of the creation of 'Highlandism' as the Scottish ethos, as they were recruited wholesale into the British Army, to earn their stripes in wars against France and America. Good, too, on Eric Williams' thesis of imperial plunder as original accumulation, especially in Glasgow, with useful references on the refutation of Williams' thesis. ( )
  Heartfield | Sep 12, 2006 |

A dazzling account of Scotland's role in the world by Scotland's bestselling historian. The Scots had an enormous impact on the global development of the British Empire as emigrants, soldiers, merchants and colonial administrators. Scotland's Empire provides a comprehensive examination of their crucial role during the formative era of the long eighteenth century. The book ranges from the Americas to Australia and from the Caribbean islands to India. It explores in depth many key themes including the slave trade, the Scots on the colonial frontier, Highland soldiers, the saga of the Ulster Scots, the effect of the Scottish Enlightenment and the connection between empire and the economic revolution in Scotland itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:48 -0400)

The Scots are one of the world's greatest nations of emigrants. This text takes many famous stories and removes layers of myth and sentiment to reveal the no less startling truth, paying particular attention to the exceptional Scottish role as traders, missionaries and soldiers.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible