The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Road (2006)

by Cormac McCarthy

23,013110750 (4.08)1 / 1182
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (goodiegoodie)
    Blindness by José Saramago (browner56, ateolf, lilisin)
    browner56: Two harrowing, well-written looks at what we can expect when society breaks down
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (mrstreme)
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (macktan894)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (PDcastello)
    PDcastello: Same type of small and silent epic
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JD456, sturlington)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (skroz, goodiegoodie)
    No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (owen1218)
    On the Beach by Nevil Shute (Navarone)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (psybre)
    psybre: Earth Abides, a classic post-apocalyptic novel published in 1949, is a bit less dark, and as an ecological fable, contains more science than The Road. When pondering to read The Road again, read this book instead.
    The Pesthouse by Jim Crace (llishman, MarkYoung)
    Ashes, Ashes by René Barjavel (grimm)
    Rivers by Michael Farris Smith (GCPLreader)
    The Stand by Stephen King (2810michael)
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Two post-apocalyptic masterpieces, with much of their power coming from their focus on a couple of characters and the exotic horrors that threaten them.
    The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosiński (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Kosinski & McCarthy were born 5 weeks apart in 1933 and were ages 6-12 during WWII. Both books are dark violent fables told from a child's view.
    I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman (Tanglewood, tottman)
    tottman: Both are dystopian novels with engaging and driven main characters. They are bleak but extraordinarily moving and compelling.
    Schopenhauer's Telescope by Gerard Donovan (Cecilturtle)

English (1,037)  French (19)  Spanish (15)  Dutch (8)  Italian (6)  German (5)  Danish (4)  Swedish (4)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Czech (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (1,109)
Les despertó el frío esa mañana, en un bosque de árboles calcinados. El hombre y el niño echan a andar a lo largo de una carretera, abren una lata de X y se la van turnando para comer. El niño está muy delgado y muy triste, mira a su padre y le dice: ¿Vamos a morir, papá?" Siguen caminando, pasan mucho frío y se empiezan a cansar. Pueblos abandonados, cadáveres por el camino. El niño le dice a su padre "Tengo miedo". Hace mucho frío y tienen hambre y están cansados..."

Esto es La carretera. Un fragmento como este repetido en bucle una vez y otra vez y otra vez a lo largo de 224 páginas. Para cuando llega el final, que me pareció bastante bueno, yo ya estaba aburrida, y había desconectado. No comprendo la unanimidad que existe al considerar este libro con capacidad para transmitir ya sea angustia, miedo o tristeza. Yo fui incapaz de sumergirme en la historia.
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |
Brutal, but couldn't put it down. Definitely not for the very sensitive reader. Terribly depressing yet there is the glimmer of hope in the human spirit, if you choose to read it that wat.
  TLkirsten | Mar 21, 2015 |
I could not put this down, such was the compelling characterisation of the father and son and their need to survive in this post-apocalyse. Haunting and somehow uplifting, that despite the worst that could happen, the father brought up the son to believe in, and accept a chance to return to, humanity (the good guys). ( )
  celerydog | Feb 27, 2015 |
Its taken me 2 years to write this review. I am not going to say much. Its a book that will eviscerate you. I read it in one sitting. Okay, I put the book down because I felt I could not read another word through my tears, but 20 minutes later I absolutely had to keep reading. It left me wrung out. I hugged my child. I have made it a point to tell him everyday how much I love him. Writing these worlds has brought back the intensity of this story and I might start crying again. I plan on re-reading this at some point in time. ( )
2 vote jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
1 vote jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
But McCarthy’s latest effort, The Road, is a missed opportunity.

Like Steinbeck, McCarthy shepherds his protagonists from an apocalypse of man's making into a hell where man himself is the scourge. Like Steinbeck, McCarthy never holds more than a fistful of scavenged victuals between his heroes and death. And like Steinbeck, McCarthy conjures from this pitiless flight the miracle of unswerving humanity. Astonishingly, this is a book about grace.
added by eereed | editThe Telegraph, Chris Cleave (Nov 12, 2006)

With only the corpse of a natural world to grapple with, McCarthy's father and son exist in a realm rarely seen in the ur-masculine literary tradition: the domestic. And from this unlikely vantage McCarthy makes a big, shockingly successful grab at the universal.
added by eereed | editSlate, Jennifer Egan (Oct 10, 2006)

“The Road” is a dynamic tale, offered in the often exalted prose that is McCarthy’s signature, but this time in restrained doses — short, vivid sentences, episodes only a few paragraphs or a few lines long, which is yet another departure for him.

Post-apocalyptic fiction isn't automatically better when written by Cormac McCarthy, but he does have a way of investing genre clichés with fine gray tones and morose poetry.
added by eereed | editA.V. Club, Noel Murray (Oct 5, 2006)

McCarthy, Cormacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to John Francis McCarthy
When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him.
He'd not have thought the value of the smallest thing predicated on a world to come. It surprised him. That the space which these things occupied was itself an expectation (149).
From daydreams on the road there was no waking. He plodded on. He could remember everything of her save her scent. Seated in a theatre with her beside him leaning forward listening to the music. Gold scrollwork and sconces and the tall columnar folds of the drapes at either side of the stage. She held his hand in her lap and he could feel the tops of her stockings through the thin stuff of her summer dress. Freeze this frame. Now call down your dark and your cold and be damned.
He pulled the boy closer. Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that.

You forget some things, don't you?

Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.
It took two days to cross that ashen scabland. The road beyond fell away on every side. It's snowing, the boy said. He looked at the sky. A single gray flake sifting down. He caught it in his hand and watched it expire there like the last host of christendom.
He thought if he lived long enough the world at last would be lost. Like the dying world the newly blind inhabit, all of it slowly fading from memory.

The Road follows a man and a boy, father and son, journeying together for many months across a desolate, post-apocalyptic landscape, some years – the period of time almost the same as the age of the boy – after a great, unexplained cataclysm.
His world burned away,
A man walks seaward;
Tries to save the son.
(miken32)

In a novel set in an indefinite, futuristic, post-apocalyptic world, a father and his young son make their way through the ruins of a devastated American landscape, struggling to survive and preserve the last remnants of their own humanity.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,145,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible