The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Road (2006)

by Cormac McCarthy

22,330108656 (4.09)1 / 1113
Recently added bycupocofe, KRoan, deckehoe, Jujunna, private library, pfflyernc, scott.bradley, JL963, Malcomnson
2007 (110) 2008 (85) 21st century (118) American (208) American literature (224) apocalypse (390) apocalyptic (179) cannibalism (109) death (80) dystopia (514) dystopian (87) end of the world (80) family (124) father and son (163) fathers and sons (150) fiction (2,348) future (89) literature (204) novel (344) own (82) post-apocalypse (117) post-apocalyptic (877) Pulitzer (175) Pulitzer Prize (241) read (324) science fiction (525) survival (415) to-read (343) unread (92) USA (103)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (goodiegoodie)
    Blindness by José Saramago (browner56, ateolf, lilisin)
    browner56: Two harrowing, well-written looks at what we can expect when society breaks down
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (mrstreme)
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (macktan894)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (PDcastello)
    PDcastello: Same type of small and silent epic
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JD456)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. (skroz, goodiegoodie)
    No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    On the Beach by Nevil Shute (Navarone)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (owen1218)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (psybre)
    psybre: Earth Abides, a classic post-apocalyptic novel published in 1949, is a bit less dark, and as an ecological fable, contains more science than The Road. When pondering to read The Road again, read this book instead.
    Ashes, Ashes by René Barjavel (grimm)
    The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Kosinski & McCarthy were born 5 weeks apart in 1933 and were ages 6-12 during WWII. Both books are dark violent fables told from a child's view.
    The Pesthouse by Jim Crace (llishman, MarkYoung)
    I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman (Tanglewood, tottman)
    tottman: Both are dystopian novels with engaging and driven main characters. They are bleak but extraordinarily moving and compelling.
    The day of the triffids by John Wyndham (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Two post-apocalyptic masterpieces, with much of their power coming from their focus on a couple of characters and the exotic horrors that threaten them.
    Rivers by Michael Farris Smith (GCPLreader)
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (2810michael)
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (infiniteletters)

English (1,018)  French (18)  Spanish (15)  Dutch (7)  Italian (5)  Swedish (4)  Danish (4)  German (4)  Catalan (3)  Norwegian (2)  Czech (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (1,085)
Post apocalypse novella about a father and son running from the past, trying to survive in the midst of an unexplained (nuclear war? asteroid? pole shift?) cataclysm. Sad and brave. ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
Being as big of a fan of dystopia novels as I am, it is no surprise that I liked this book. However, this book left me feeling so incredibly helpless and hopeless--I really didn't feel there was any escape.

For instance, a book like 1984, it's easy for me to decide how to survive. But in The Road, everything was so desolate and disturbing--it seems there are tricks to surviving....but would it be worth it is the question?

Perhaps what upsets me most about the book is not knowing why. Why is the world this way? What happened? I feel that that is part of the most interesting parts of a dystopia novel--the author writing a situation that could happen, and taking it to the extreme. I THINK that there was some kind of nuclear fallout, maybe. But I don't know. And I think it would have added a great deal to the book. I just don't understand why it's not included.

As a whole, the book was very thrilling and engaging. Having to beware of other humans because the lack of food on Earth has turned several people into cannibals. The literal fight for survival was something that kept me hooked.

Other questions: WHY were they headed in the direction they were? Why was it so important to always keep moving? ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Very dark, a bit weird, not as gory as I feared but gory enough. But in the end, what happened and why?
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
"Good­ness will find the lit­tle boy. It al­ways has. It will again."

Ha, ha, ha! McCarthy may be as monotonous as hell, but every once in a while he winks out an hilarious zinger... It was *meant* to be LOL funny, right? (But I think I'll cry if I find the above in the quotes database.) Alas, as ridiculous as that line was, it wasn't enough to make up for the rest of the tedious puerility.

The fire's inside you, boys, don't you forget it. Happy trails.

tmiddleton | Jun 26, 2014 |
But McCarthy’s latest effort, The Road, is a missed opportunity.

Like Steinbeck, McCarthy shepherds his protagonists from an apocalypse of man's making into a hell where man himself is the scourge. Like Steinbeck, McCarthy never holds more than a fistful of scavenged victuals between his heroes and death. And like Steinbeck, McCarthy conjures from this pitiless flight the miracle of unswerving humanity. Astonishingly, this is a book about grace.
added by eereed | editThe Telegraph, Chris Cleave (Nov 12, 2006)

With only the corpse of a natural world to grapple with, McCarthy's father and son exist in a realm rarely seen in the ur-masculine literary tradition: the domestic. And from this unlikely vantage McCarthy makes a big, shockingly successful grab at the universal.
added by eereed | editSlate, Jennifer Egan (Oct 10, 2006)

“The Road” is a dynamic tale, offered in the often exalted prose that is McCarthy’s signature, but this time in restrained doses — short, vivid sentences, episodes only a few paragraphs or a few lines long, which is yet another departure for him.

Post-apocalyptic fiction isn't automatically better when written by Cormac McCarthy, but he does have a way of investing genre clichés with fine gray tones and morose poetry.
added by eereed | editA.V. Club, Noel Murray (Oct 5, 2006)

McCarthy, Cormacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to John Francis McCarthy
When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him.
He'd not have thought the value of the smallest thing predicated on a world to come. It surprised him. That the space which these things occupied was itself an expectation (149).
From daydreams on the road there was no waking. He plodded on. He could remember everything of her save her scent. Seated in a theatre with her beside him leaning forward listening to the music. Gold scrollwork and sconces and the tall columnar folds of the drapes at either side of the stage. She held his hand in her lap and he could feel the tops of her stockings through the thin stuff of her summer dress. Freeze this frame. Now call down your dark and your cold and be damned.
He pulled the boy closer. Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that.

You forget some things, don't you?

Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.
It took two days to cross that ashen scabland. The road beyond fell away on every side. It's snowing, the boy said. He looked at the sky. A single gray flake sifting down. He caught it in his hand and watched it expire there like the last host of christendom.
He thought if he lived long enough the world at last would be lost. Like the dying world the newly blind inhabit, all of it slowly fading from memory.
This "work" contains copies without enough information. The title might refer to the book by for instance Cormac McCarthy or its movie adaptation, so this "work" should not be combined with any of them. If you are an owner of one of these copies, please add information such as author name or ISBN that can help identify its rightful home. After editing your copy, it might still need further separation and recombination work. Feel free to ask in the Combiners! group if you have questions or need help. Thanks.

The Road follows a man and a boy, father and son, journeying together for many months across a desolate, post-apocalyptic landscape, some years – the period of time almost the same as the age of the boy – after a great, unexplained cataclysm.
His world burned away,
A man walks seaward;
Tries to save the son.
(miken32)

In a novel set in an indefinite, futuristic, post-apocalyptic world, a father and his young son make their way through the ruins of a devastated American landscape, struggling to survive and preserve the last remnants of their own humanity.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,538,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible