The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Road (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Cormac McCarthy

Info:Picador (2007), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:2009, post-apocalyptic

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (2006)

2007 (110) 2008 (84) 21st century (115) American (208) American literature (218) apocalypse (388) apocalyptic (179) cannibalism (109) death (77) dystopia (498) dystopian (80) end of the world (79) family (124) father and son (162) fathers and sons (150) fiction (2,317) future (89) literature (205) novel (338) own (79) post-apocalypse (116) post-apocalyptic (861) Pulitzer (171) Pulitzer Prize (241) read (323) science fiction (511) survival (410) to-read (289) unread (92) USA (102)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (goodiegoodie)
    Blindness by José Saramago (browner56, ateolf, lilisin)
    browner56: Two harrowing, well-written looks at what we can expect when society breaks down
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (mrstreme)
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (macktan894)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (PDcastello)
    PDcastello: Same type of small and silent epic
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JD456)
    No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. (skroz, goodiegoodie)
    On the Beach by Nevil Shute (Navarone)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (owen1218)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (psybre)
    psybre: Earth Abides, a classic post-apocalyptic novel published in 1949, is a bit less dark, and as an ecological fable, contains more science than The Road. When pondering to read The Road again, read this book instead.
    The Pesthouse by Jim Crace (llishman, MarkYoung)
    Ashes, Ashes by René Barjavel (grimm)
    I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman (Tanglewood, tottman)
    tottman: Both are dystopian novels with engaging and driven main characters. They are bleak but extraordinarily moving and compelling.
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Two post-apocalyptic masterpieces, with much of their power coming from their focus on a couple of characters and the exotic horrors that threaten them.
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (IamAleem)
    The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Kosinski & McCarthy were born 5 weeks apart in 1933 and were ages 6-12 during WWII. Both books are dark violent fables told from a child's view.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (2810michael)
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (infiniteletters)

English (1,000)  French (18)  Spanish (15)  Dutch (7)  Italian (5)  Swedish (4)  Danish (4)  German (4)  Catalan (3)  Norwegian (2)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,066)
One of the best if not the most chilling books I have ever read. Quite honestly I was unable to sleep peacefully for several days after having read this epic tale. I can not praise it enough for taking a plot that is singularly sombre and depressing and being able to weave such a tale out of it. And despite the realistic no-hold-barred tragedy it represents a ray of hope a sense moans everlasting optimism in the face of adversity. When I read this title, and indeed watched the associated film me world turned ashen grey. There were scenes that ran shivers up my spine. This was definitely a love hate relationship, but one that made me reflect deeply and profoundly upon out own temporal and fragile existence in the world. Without a doubt one of the books in my life that had a deep impact on my thinking.A game changer, uniquely unique.

Highly recommended. ( )
  Phoenixangelfire | Apr 6, 2014 |
I listened to the audiobook version of The Road read by Tom Stechschulte. It was powerful, horrifying, and depressing. I was near the end of the book when I needed to attend my daughter’s soccer game and I couldn’t put it down so I finished it up just as the game ended with a win for my daughter’s team. I am sure a few of the other soccer moms were wondering why I was crying. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Survival, bleakness and hope. A beautiful novel. ( )
  LisaFoxRomance | Apr 6, 2014 |
Note to self: don't read books that describe your worst nightmare. And yet...I cannot...look...away.

I gave it four stars only because it was so depressing in a too likely to happen kind of way. But it was really good. The ending was a little lame, but I'm sure this was a tough book to write an ending to. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
amazing story of man and his son, walking through post apocayptic ash, "carrying the light," looking for "the good guys," perfectly read by Tom Stechschulte. Beautifully rendered story of father - son love. Very difficult; very beautiful. ( )
  DavidO1103 | Apr 3, 2014 |
But McCarthy’s latest effort, The Road, is a missed opportunity.

Like Steinbeck, McCarthy shepherds his protagonists from an apocalypse of man's making into a hell where man himself is the scourge. Like Steinbeck, McCarthy never holds more than a fistful of scavenged victuals between his heroes and death. And like Steinbeck, McCarthy conjures from this pitiless flight the miracle of unswerving humanity. Astonishingly, this is a book about grace.
added by eereed | editThe Telegraph, Chris Cleave (Nov 12, 2006)

With only the corpse of a natural world to grapple with, McCarthy's father and son exist in a realm rarely seen in the ur-masculine literary tradition: the domestic. And from this unlikely vantage McCarthy makes a big, shockingly successful grab at the universal.
added by eereed | editSlate, Jennifer Egan (Oct 10, 2006)

“The Road” is a dynamic tale, offered in the often exalted prose that is McCarthy’s signature, but this time in restrained doses — short, vivid sentences, episodes only a few paragraphs or a few lines long, which is yet another departure for him.

Post-apocalyptic fiction isn't automatically better when written by Cormac McCarthy, but he does have a way of investing genre clichés with fine gray tones and morose poetry.
added by eereed | editA.V. Club, Noel Murray (Oct 5, 2006)

McCarthy, Cormacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, Cormacmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to John Francis McCarthy
When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him.
He'd not have thought the value of the smallest thing predicated on a world to come. It surprised him. That the space which these things occupied was itself an expectation (149).
From daydreams on the road there was no waking. He plodded on. He could remember everything of her save her scent. Seated in a theatre with her beside him leaning forward listening to the music. Gold scrollwork and sconces and the tall columnar folds of the drapes at either side of the stage. She held his hand in her lap and he could feel the tops of her stockings through the thin stuff of her summer dress. Freeze this frame. Now call down your dark and your cold and be damned.
He pulled the boy closer. Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that.

You forget some things, don't you?

Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.
It took two days to cross that ashen scabland. The road beyond fell away on every side. It's snowing, the boy said. He looked at the sky. A single gray flake sifting down. He caught it in his hand and watched it expire there like the last host of christendom.
He thought if he lived long enough the world at last would be lost. Like the dying world the newly blind inhabit, all of it slowly fading from memory.

The Road follows a man and a boy, father and son, journeying together for many months across a desolate, post-apocalyptic landscape, some years – the period of time almost the same as the age of the boy – after a great, unexplained cataclysm.
His world burned away,
A man walks seaward;
Tries to save the son.
(miken32)

In a novel set in an indefinite, futuristic, post-apocalyptic world, a father and his young son make their way through the ruins of a devastated American landscape, struggling to survive and preserve the last remnants of their own humanity.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible