The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Road (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Cormac McCarthy

24,901119344 (4.07)1 / 1302
Member:yeestermeister
Title:The Road
Authors:Cormac McCarthy
Info:Vintage (2006), Edition: Reprint, Paperback

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (2006)

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (goodiegoodie)
    Blindness by José Saramago (browner56, ateolf, lilisin)
    browner56: Two harrowing, well-written looks at what we can expect when society breaks down
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (mrstreme)
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (macktan894)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (PDcastello)
    PDcastello: Same type of small and silent epic
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JD456)
    On the Beach by Nevil Shute (Navarone)
    No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (skroz, goodiegoodie)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (owen1218)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (psybre)
    psybre: Earth Abides, a classic post-apocalyptic novel published in 1949, is a bit less dark, and as an ecological fable, contains more science than The Road. When pondering to read The Road again, read this book instead.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (2810michael)
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Two post-apocalyptic masterpieces, with much of their power coming from their focus on a couple of characters and the exotic horrors that threaten them.
    The Pesthouse by Jim Crace (llishman, MarkYoung)
    I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman (Tanglewood, tottman)
    tottman: Both are dystopian novels with engaging and driven main characters. They are bleak but extraordinarily moving and compelling.
    Rivers: A Novel by Michael Farris Smith (GCPLreader)
    Ashes, Ashes by René Barjavel (grimm)
    Schopenhauer's Telescope by Gerard Donovan (Cecilturtle)
    In A Perfect World by Laura Kasischke (bdav1818)

English (1,120)  French (19)  Spanish (15)  Dutch (8)  Italian (6)  German (5)  Danish (4)  Swedish (4)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Czech (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (1)  Polish (1)  All (1,192)
4.5 stars

If you find yourself being to happy and upbeat and need to tone it down, read this book. It's end of the world survival. The main characters are a man and his very young son. Some of the scenes are devastating and heartbreaking. It's very well-written. I had loads of feels. I hung on every word. It slayed me. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
4.5 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Pretty dreary. May be realistic, but it's not a "fun" read!

Makes you think about how you would interact with other people when your survival was at stake. ( )
  flyboysgu | Jan 13, 2017 |
I know I read this soon after it came out in 2008 or so, but I had forgotten much of it. I don't think it's as carefully wrought as some of McCarthy's other work, and I miss the historical richness of the Border trilogy, but in its absolutely raw and single-minded dedication to a single idea--a father's love for his son--the book is a tour-de-force. The ending of the novel, when the father dies, devastated me. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Bleak, desolate and depressing; yet paradoxically uplifting and heartwarming. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
But McCarthy’s latest effort, The Road, is a missed opportunity.

With only the corpse of a natural world to grapple with, McCarthy's father and son exist in a realm rarely seen in the ur-masculine literary tradition: the domestic. And from this unlikely vantage McCarthy makes a big, shockingly successful grab at the universal.
added by eereed | editSlate, Jennifer Egan (Oct 10, 2006)

“The Road” is a dynamic tale, offered in the often exalted prose that is McCarthy’s signature, but this time in restrained doses — short, vivid sentences, episodes only a few paragraphs or a few lines long, which is yet another departure for him.

Post-apocalyptic fiction isn't automatically better when written by Cormac McCarthy, but he does have a way of investing genre clichés with fine gray tones and morose poetry.
added by eereed | editA.V. Club, Noel Murray (Oct 5, 2006)

But even with its flaws, there's just no getting around it: The Road is a frightening, profound tale that drags us into places we don't want to go, forces us to think about questions we don't want to ask. Readers who sneer at McCarthy's mythic and biblical grandiosity will cringe at the ambition of The Road . At first I kept trying to scoff at it, too, but I was just whistling past the graveyard. Ultimately, my cynicism was overwhelmed by the visceral power of McCarthy's prose and the simple beauty of this hero's love for his son.
added by eereed | editWashington Post, Ron Charles (Oct 1, 2006)

McCarthy, Cormacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Preis, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Testa, MartinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

This book is dedicated to John Francis McCarthy
When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him.
He'd not have thought the value of the smallest thing predicated on a world to come. It surprised him. That the space which these things occupied was itself an expectation (149).
From daydreams on the road there was no waking. He plodded on. He could remember everything of her save her scent. Seated in a theatre with her beside him leaning forward listening to the music. Gold scrollwork and sconces and the tall columnar folds of the drapes at either side of the stage. She held his hand in her lap and he could feel the tops of her stockings through the thin stuff of her summer dress. Freeze this frame. Now call down your dark and your cold and be damned.
He pulled the boy closer. Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that.

You forget some things, don't you?

Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.
It took two days to cross that ashen scabland. The road beyond fell away on every side. It's snowing, the boy said. He looked at the sky. A single gray flake sifting down. He caught it in his hand and watched it expire there like the last host of christendom.
He thought if he lived long enough the world at last would be lost. Like the dying world the newly blind inhabit, all of it slowly fading from memory.

The Road follows a man and a boy, father and son, journeying together for many months across a desolate, post-apocalyptic landscape, some years – the period of time almost the same as the age of the boy – after a great, unexplained cataclysm.
His world burned away,
A man walks seaward;
Tries to save the son.
(miken32)

In a novel set in an indefinite, futuristic, post-apocalyptic world, a father and his young son make their way through the ruins of a devastated American landscape, struggling to survive and preserve the last remnants of their own humanity.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,654,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible