Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Road (Movie Tie-in Edition 2009)…

The Road (Movie Tie-in Edition 2009) (Vintage International) (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Cormac McCarthy

27,213126568 (4.07)1 / 1395
Member:ThrivingKings
Title:The Road (Movie Tie-in Edition 2009) (Vintage International)
Authors:Cormac McCarthy
Info:Vintage (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (2006)

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (goodiegoodie)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (mrstreme)
    Blindness by José Saramago (browner56, ateolf, lilisin)
    browner56: Two harrowing, well-written looks at what we can expect when society breaks down
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (PDcastello)
    PDcastello: Same type of small and silent epic
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (macktan894)
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JD456)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (skroz, goodiegoodie)
    On the Beach by Nevil Shute (Navarone)
    No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (2810michael)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (owen1218)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (psybre)
    psybre: Earth Abides, a classic post-apocalyptic novel published in 1949, is a bit less dark, and as an ecological fable, contains more science than The Road. When pondering to read The Road again, read this book instead.
    I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman (Tanglewood, tottman)
    tottman: Both are dystopian novels with engaging and driven main characters. They are bleak but extraordinarily moving and compelling.
    The Pesthouse by Jim Crace (llishman, MarkYoung)
    The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosiński (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Kosinski & McCarthy were born 5 weeks apart in 1933 and were ages 6-12 during WWII. Both books are dark violent fables told from a child's view.
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Two post-apocalyptic masterpieces, with much of their power coming from their focus on a couple of characters and the exotic horrors that threaten them.
    Rivers by Michael Farris Smith (GCPLreader)
    Close Range : Wyoming Stories by Annie Proulx (chrisharpe)
    Ashes, Ashes by René Barjavel (grimm)

English (1,191)  French (20)  Spanish (15)  Dutch (8)  Italian (6)  German (5)  Danish (4)  Swedish (4)  Catalan (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Czech (1)  Hebrew (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (1,265)
This review will contain spoilers, so if you haven't read it and you read on, don't get mad at me...I did warn you.

The first thing that struck me reading The Road was the beautiful descriptive language McCarthy uses. After a while, that started to fade a bit, washed out by the repetitive drudging that made up the better part of the book. I confess that 3/4 of the way through I was ready for someone to eat them and stop the misery!

However, it was really beautiful. The man's love for the boy, forcing him to continue the struggle that felt so futile, compelling him to do anything and everything to save him. Never allowing himself to ask the question, for what was he saving him? And, the boy's honest humanity, kindness and tenderness in a world so hard and cold. While being willing to do anything to protect the boy, the boy kept the man grounded in good, carrying the fire.

My husband decided, just at the moment the man died, maybe two sentences following, to interrupt me to look at a google map of our house. So, the big dramatic ending was not quite as impactful, but I did cry. I expect if you don't have a husband with an iPhone, you might have gotten a little more out of that bit. I was preparing for the I Am Legend ending...rubbish, so I was pleasantly surprised. I had to ponder for a while though, how even they could carry on indefinitely if there were really nothing left?

I pray we never see that day! In light of the goings on in North Korea, it felt a little more "real" to me than the idea of a "post apocalyptic" world ever has. Having missed the Cuban Missile Crisis by a few years and only moderately noticing the cold war, as I was a kid, the idea has always been a fun Hollywood movie plot to me. I can tell you this, if it ever does happen in my lifetime, I hope it lands on my head... ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
A father and son walking through the remains of America, after what seems like a nuclear war or some other disaster. It is never mentioned in the book, although there are little look back through the story. ( )
  foof2you | May 20, 2019 |
The Last Of Us: The Novel ( )
  NormalMostly | May 20, 2019 |
Tana DaSilva gave me this book and said I HAD to read it. She was right; it is a compelling story. It is also a quick read; like Tana, I stayed up long past my bedtime to finish it.

My favorite lines: "Look around you, he said. There's no prophet in the earth's long chronicle who's not honored here today," (p.277) AND ...that the boy, walking [b:on the road|6288|The Road|Cormac McCarthy|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21E8H3D1JSL._SL75_.jpg|3355573] ahead, was "like a tabernacle" (pg.273 in the paperback edition.)

And, yes, it ends with some sense of hope, the faintest sliver of it, like a tabernacle. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
This is one of my top 5 books. It's a stark and uncompromising work and reflects Cormac McCarthy gift for direct narrative. Readers of McCarthy's other masterwork Blood Meridian will recall the cadence and sentence construction that is really evident in this book. As pointed out by Harold Bloom, McCarthy's prose is redolent of that in the King James Bible and in his hands this adds to the overall impression of threat and doom, ultimately reversed by the ending where the man dies, but the boy survives with hopeful prospects of some sort of renewal. I can understand that some readers may be disturbed by this book but even so they should recognise the high quality of the writing. ( )
  Howzat202 | Apr 25, 2019 |
But McCarthy’s latest effort, The Road, is a missed opportunity.

With only the corpse of a natural world to grapple with, McCarthy's father and son exist in a realm rarely seen in the ur-masculine literary tradition: the domestic. And from this unlikely vantage McCarthy makes a big, shockingly successful grab at the universal.
added by eereed | editSlate, Jennifer Egan (Oct 10, 2006)

“The Road” is a dynamic tale, offered in the often exalted prose that is McCarthy’s signature, but this time in restrained doses — short, vivid sentences, episodes only a few paragraphs or a few lines long, which is yet another departure for him.

Post-apocalyptic fiction isn't automatically better when written by Cormac McCarthy, but he does have a way of investing genre clichés with fine gray tones and morose poetry.
added by eereed | editA.V. Club, Noel Murray (Oct 5, 2006)

But even with its flaws, there's just no getting around it: The Road is a frightening, profound tale that drags us into places we don't want to go, forces us to think about questions we don't want to ask. Readers who sneer at McCarthy's mythic and biblical grandiosity will cringe at the ambition of The Road . At first I kept trying to scoff at it, too, but I was just whistling past the graveyard. Ultimately, my cynicism was overwhelmed by the visceral power of McCarthy's prose and the simple beauty of this hero's love for his son.
added by eereed | editWashington Post, Ron Charles (Oct 1, 2006)

McCarthy, Cormacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hirsch, FrançoisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Preis, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Testa, MartinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

This book is dedicated to
John Francis McCarthy
When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him.
He'd not have thought the value of the smallest thing predicated on a world to come. It surprised him. That the space which these things occupied was itself an expectation (149).
From daydreams on the road there was no waking. He plodded on. He could remember everything of her save her scent. Seated in a theatre with her beside him leaning forward listening to the music. Gold scrollwork and sconces and the tall columnar folds of the drapes at either side of the stage. She held his hand in her lap and he could feel the tops of her stockings through the thin stuff of her summer dress. Freeze this frame. Now call down your dark and your cold and be damned.
He pulled the boy closer. Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that.

You forget some things, don't you?

Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.
It took two days to cross that ashen scabland. The road beyond fell away on every side. It's snowing, the boy said. He looked at the sky. A single gray flake sifting down. He caught it in his hand and watched it expire there like the last host of christendom.
He thought if he lived long enough the world at last would be lost. Like the dying world the newly blind inhabit, all of it slowly fading from memory.

The Road follows a man and a boy, father and son, journeying together for many months across a desolate, post-apocalyptic landscape, some years – the period of time almost the same as the age of the boy – after a great, unexplained cataclysm.
His world burned away,
A man walks seaward;
Tries to save the son.
(miken32)

In a novel set in an indefinite, futuristic, post-apocalyptic world, a father and his young son make their way through the ruins of a devastated American landscape, struggling to survive and preserve the last remnants of their own humanity.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible