The Road (Movie Tie-in Edition 2009)…

The Road (Movie Tie-in Edition 2009) (Vintage International) (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Cormac McCarthy

26,356123842 (4.07)1 / 1365
Member:blakslaks
Title:The Road (Movie Tie-in Edition 2009) (Vintage International)
Authors:Cormac McCarthy
Info:Vintage (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (2006)

Blindness by José Saramago (browner56, ateolf, lilisin)
    browner56: Two harrowing, well-written looks at what we can expect when society breaks down
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (goodiegoodie)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (mrstreme)
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (PDcastello)
    PDcastello: Same type of small and silent epic
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (macktan894)
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JD456)
    On the Beach by Nevil Shute (Navarone)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (skroz, goodiegoodie)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (owen1218)
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (2810michael)
    No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (psybre)
    psybre: Earth Abides, a classic post-apocalyptic novel published in 1949, is a bit less dark, and as an ecological fable, contains more science than The Road. When pondering to read The Road again, read this book instead.
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Two post-apocalyptic masterpieces, with much of their power coming from their focus on a couple of characters and the exotic horrors that threaten them.
    The Pesthouse by Jim Crace (llishman, MarkYoung)
    The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosiński (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Kosinski & McCarthy were born 5 weeks apart in 1933 and were ages 6-12 during WWII. Both books are dark violent fables told from a child's view.
    I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman (Tanglewood, tottman)
    tottman: Both are dystopian novels with engaging and driven main characters. They are bleak but extraordinarily moving and compelling.
    Ashes, Ashes by René Barjavel (grimm)
    Rivers by Michael Farris Smith (GCPLreader)
    In A Perfect World by Laura Kasischke (bdav1818)

English (1,166)  French (19)  Spanish (15)  Dutch (8)  Italian (6)  German (5)  Danish (4)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Czech (1)  All (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Polish (1)  All (1,238)
This is a bleak tale of father and son wading through the ash of an unspecified apocalypse, trying to survive.
It's really depressing and almost painful to read at times, but also beautiful: the descriptions of scenery are lyrical, the love of father for son is poignant and the desire to be "good guys" instead of succumbing to the horrible acts other humans are engaging in and this young boy is forced to witness.
One thing I don't get: If there aren't any trees or vegetation still alive, and haven't been for a decade or so, how are they breathing? ( )
  EmScape | Jun 18, 2018 |
“Nobody wants to be here and nobody wants to leave.”—P. 169.
Having finished this shortly after the suicides of Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain, I couldn’t help reading the world of The Road as McCarthy’s landscape of depression. For the depressed person, the everyday life we take for granted is seen as a dystopia. “In reality” thinks the depressed person, nobody wants to be here, they just don’t know it, but I see the gray ashen truth and the struggle is to somehow remain in this barren place and not put a bullet in my head (and maybe “liberate” my loved ones) in order to become one with this lifeless world. Perversely, moments of happiness can be an inducement to suicide and must be resisted, because they promise future hope if we could only resist the instinct to survive and go on to the unreal dream of a future life. Remaining grounded in the dead world by caring for our loved ones is the only thing that holds us back from moving on to the imaginary other world – think of the dialog about life on Mars late in the book --while at the same time the underlying desire is to become lifeless ash. Some of the extreme negative responses to the book might have something to do with the way the story sucks you into the suicidal world-view of the depressed mind. ( )
  featherbear | Jun 10, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Apr 2009):
- I listened to this.., very well narrated.
- Exceptionally sad, bleak, but mesmerizing tale of an unnamed father and son, doggedly trudging southward in a barren wasteland of the former good 'ol USA. The fact that much is untold here - what happened?, where are they exactly?, how far into the future? - does not deter from the story, and to me adds a macabre darkness to it. The young boy and the father ARE the story, their avoidance of cannibals, hideous discoveries, and heartbreaking efforts of survival..
- The dialogue between them rings plainly true, the father's landwise folksiness suggesting a lower midwest origin. An otherworldliness, perhaps even religious resurrection is suggested in the boy. For anyone hesitating to read or listen for fear of permanent melancholy, don't be dissuaded. McCarthy is perhaps the resident laureate of American fiction, and he wisely ends this black tale with a glimmer of hope that man's inherent goodness, or at least those who "carry the fire", will insure we do not perish from this earth. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | May 6, 2018 |
Very Dark and poignant, but it grips the reader and doesn't let go. I saw the movie before I ever read the book, and I am quite pleased that Hollywood's interpretation mirrored the novel....but, as is nearly always the case: The book is so much better than the movie. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
I should probably turn in my English degree along with a piece of paper that reads, "I'm sorry. I didn't like this book. Please forgive me," and hope that the powers that be forgive my transgression.

Seriously, though, I've searched through the Internet and can't seem to find one bad review of The Road...but I just couldn't get into it. The first time I sat down to read it, I got halfway through and stopped reading. This time, I forced myself to not put it down until I finished it. I still wasn't impressed. I want to be impressed. I want to like this book. I really do. I just...can't.

It's the story of an unnamed man and his son walking through a postapocalyptic world, down a road, toward what they hope will be a better place.

I wish I had more to add to that summary, but...that's about it. The whole book is the rising action, then it comes to a predictable climax towards the end which is followed by a small dénouement. Most of the reviews I've read have spoken of how moving and personal the book is, but I just...wasn't interested in the man or the boy. I was actually more interested in the wife/mother.

Of course I'm interested in the character that's dead before the book even begins.

That's the book I'd actually like to read. ( )
  amsee | May 1, 2018 |
But McCarthy’s latest effort, The Road, is a missed opportunity.

With only the corpse of a natural world to grapple with, McCarthy's father and son exist in a realm rarely seen in the ur-masculine literary tradition: the domestic. And from this unlikely vantage McCarthy makes a big, shockingly successful grab at the universal.
added by eereed | editSlate, Jennifer Egan (Oct 10, 2006)

“The Road” is a dynamic tale, offered in the often exalted prose that is McCarthy’s signature, but this time in restrained doses — short, vivid sentences, episodes only a few paragraphs or a few lines long, which is yet another departure for him.

Post-apocalyptic fiction isn't automatically better when written by Cormac McCarthy, but he does have a way of investing genre clichés with fine gray tones and morose poetry.
added by eereed | editA.V. Club, Noel Murray (Oct 5, 2006)

But even with its flaws, there's just no getting around it: The Road is a frightening, profound tale that drags us into places we don't want to go, forces us to think about questions we don't want to ask. Readers who sneer at McCarthy's mythic and biblical grandiosity will cringe at the ambition of The Road . At first I kept trying to scoff at it, too, but I was just whistling past the graveyard. Ultimately, my cynicism was overwhelmed by the visceral power of McCarthy's prose and the simple beauty of this hero's love for his son.
added by eereed | editWashington Post, Ron Charles (Oct 1, 2006)

McCarthy, Cormacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Preis, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Testa, MartinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

This book is dedicated to
John Francis McCarthy
When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him.
He'd not have thought the value of the smallest thing predicated on a world to come. It surprised him. That the space which these things occupied was itself an expectation (149).
From daydreams on the road there was no waking. He plodded on. He could remember everything of her save her scent. Seated in a theatre with her beside him leaning forward listening to the music. Gold scrollwork and sconces and the tall columnar folds of the drapes at either side of the stage. She held his hand in her lap and he could feel the tops of her stockings through the thin stuff of her summer dress. Freeze this frame. Now call down your dark and your cold and be damned.
He pulled the boy closer. Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that.

You forget some things, don't you?

Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.
It took two days to cross that ashen scabland. The road beyond fell away on every side. It's snowing, the boy said. He looked at the sky. A single gray flake sifting down. He caught it in his hand and watched it expire there like the last host of christendom.
He thought if he lived long enough the world at last would be lost. Like the dying world the newly blind inhabit, all of it slowly fading from memory.

The Road follows a man and a boy, father and son, journeying together for many months across a desolate, post-apocalyptic landscape, some years – the period of time almost the same as the age of the boy – after a great, unexplained cataclysm.
His world burned away,
A man walks seaward;
Tries to save the son.
(miken32)

In a novel set in an indefinite, futuristic, post-apocalyptic world, a father and his young son make their way through the ruins of a devastated American landscape, struggling to survive and preserve the last remnants of their own humanity.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,176,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible