Batgirl Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection (The…

Batgirl Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection (The New 52) (edition 2012)

by Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf (Illustrator)

99None130,587 (3.91)3
Member:jmgold
Title:Batgirl Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection (The New 52)
Authors:Gail Simone
Other authors:Ardian Syaf (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 144 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Batgirl Volume 1: The Darkest Reflection by Gail Simone

2012 (4) 2013 (5) Adults (2) Batgirl (15) Batman (6) boys (2) capes (1) comic book (2) comic books (3) comic collection (1) comics (12) DC (8) DC Comics (9) fiction (4) girls (2) graphic novel (28) Graphic Novels/Comics (1) library book (1) mirror (2) New 52 (5) read (2) series (2) superhero (3) superheroes (13) superheroines (1) teen (8) to-read (3) unread (2) WNPL (1) YA (2)

Barbara Gordon has been wheelchair-bound ever since the Joker shot and paralyzed her. Thanks to a medical miracle, she's back on her feet as Batgirl. But is she really ready to face Gotham's criminal elite? Even Barbara herself isn't quite sure...

I'm still not sure how I feel about taking Barbara Gordon, who had been a successful member of Birds of Prey as Oracle, and giving her back her mobility. On the one hand, superhero continuity is a notoriously fickle thing. On the other hand, superheroes with disabilities are rare and could use more representation.

Regardless, Gail Simone does an excellent job, and the artwork by Ardian Syaf and Vincent Cifuentes is fantastic--even though it's gloomy Gotham, there's always a bit of brightness, whether it's Babs' red hair or the flashing mirrors of her enemy. Recommended for all comics aficionados. ( )
  RussianLoveMachine | Feb 20, 2014 |
I very much enjoyed my first foray into Batgirl -- certainly much more than I did the volume of Batman I choked down a while back for a class. Barbara Gordon is fun, and I have a thing for redheads anyway, I liked the art and her interactions with Bruce Wayne, and it's a good introduction for someone new to DC.

I had two nitpicks. One, I didn't think terribly much of the villains. They seemed almost too easily dealt with, like Gail Simone was starting Batgirl out soft because of the point I'm about to get to. It kind of makes sense, since she is being reintroduced and she is portrayed as needing to get back into the game here, but. Eh. I didn't really care about the villains, put it that way. It felt a little bit rushed, too, though when I flipped back through it didn't seem too bad. Maybe because the villain I was more interested in, Gretel, had less space.

The other thing was, well... why did we have to have a miracle cure for a disabled character? I don't know much about Barbara Gordon or how prominent she might have been as a disabled character, so maybe there have been other issues building this up, but just jumping right in and finding that she was completely paralysed and then got better "miraculously" (as several people point out), it just didn't feel right. I thought I was okay with it at first, given the way she talks about the time in a wheelchair and insists she's not delicate now she's out of it, but it didn't quite add up for me.

Still, enjoyable, and I'll pick up some more Batgirl when I get chance. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Feb 18, 2014 |
Batgirl comes back from a life altering injury.
  dejoeliz | Nov 4, 2013 |
As a part of the acclaimed DC Comics--The New 52 event of September 2011, Barbara Gordon is finally back as Batgirl The nightmare-inducing brute known as Mirror is destroying the lives of Gotham City citizens seemingly at random. Will Barbara be able to survive her explosive confrontation with this new villain, as well as facing dark secrets from her past? A new chapter in the riveting adventures of Batgirl continue in stunning fashion, with script by fan-favorite Gail Simone and stellar art by superstar Ardian Syaf This volume collctes issues 1-6 of Batgirl, part of the DC Comics--The New 52 event

3 years after being shot and paralysed by The Joker, Barbara Gordon (daughter of Gotham Commissioner Jim Gordon) is bac and suited up as Batgirl. She has moved out of her father's house and has moved into an apartment with a roomie that she secretly suspects is some kind of anarchist.

This book is split into two, where Barbara fights two villains - first Mirror, then Gretel. Both are damaged and in confronting them, Barbara realises just how easy it would be for her to have turned into something like them. Meanwhile she has to come to terms with her relationships with Nightwing (aka Dick Grayson, formerly known as "Robin") and trying to keep her knowledge of just who Bruce Wayne is and exactly what he is capable of. Her mother, who disappeared when Barbara was young, returns to Gotham, attempting to worm her way into Barbara's life - baking her favourite muffins etc - whilst Barbara is trying to work out what she wants.

Storyline is good (I never read Batgirl before now and believe that the Gail Simone work is a serious kick up the bum to a character out of the mainstream for nearly 20 years). The artwork is clear and clean as is the lettering - looking forward to Book #2 in the series (which is waiting on my bookshelf!)
  nordie | Sep 24, 2013 |
The Darkest Reflection collects the first six issues of the "New 52" Batgirl in which Barbara Gordon is no longer paralyzed from the Joker's bullet; instead she has recovered thanks in part to a miraculous surgery made possible by Bruce Wayne. While I love that Barbara is still Batgirl in this new universe, I miss her role as Oracle in which she is a role model as a disabled superhero. This book is darker and I would only recommend to mature teen readers. The first villian, Mirror, is an interesting opponent as is the second villian Gretel. Author Gail Simone does a good job showing Batgirl's humility in freezing up when Mirror points a gun at her in the same place the Joker did and also not being able to recover as fast from fighting. Another fine aspect of the story is that Barbara has to deal with the return of her mother (who abandoned the family when she was young) and how this plays out, I'm sure will be continued in the newly released Volume 2. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 15, 2013 |

Gail Simoneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cifuentes, VicenteInker, Additional Pencilsmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Syaf, ArdianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Who the devil...?

Collects: BATGIRL 1-6.

Mirror, the nightmare-inducing brute, is destroying the lives of Gotham City citizens seemingly at random. A new chapter in the riveting adventures of "Batgirl" continue in stunning fashion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible