Batgirl Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection (The…

Batgirl Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection (The New 52) (edition 2012)

by Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf (Illustrator)

Member:jmgold
Title:Batgirl Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection (The New 52)
Authors:Gail Simone
Other authors:Ardian Syaf (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 144 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Batgirl Volume 1: The Darkest Reflection by Gail Simone

This Batgirl is Barbara Gordon, the classic one everyone was harping for before the reboot and everyone was cursing when this was announced. First thing to note is that "The Killing Joke" did occur so she was paralyzed and she was Oracle but now she's been healed.

Barbara Gordon is handled by the only person suitable to handle Barbara Gordon's return, Gail Simone, the writer who made her name by establishing the modern Barbara Gordon. This Barbara Gordon is very interesting as she's coping with getting out of the wheelchair, finally, and returning to crimefighting. She's out of her game and trying to regain the confidence that was shattered by the Joker.

The first villain is decent and seems fitting. The Mirror does a great job at challenging the heroine on multiple levels, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally by making her doubt her recovery. This makes the heroine interesting and the villain threatening.

The dialogue is well done and scenes are being set into place for later stories. Artwork is excellent with the mirror shots being really nice to look at. It also makes the fight scenes clear and interesting.

The second villain is not very memorable and if I didn't look up her name I wouldn't be able to tell you. She has an interesting backstory but she feels like a throwaway and we'll probably never see her again. She doesn't add much, but at least I could still enjoy the comic because of the main character, something that I find hard to do with Batman comics since the villains are always the best part. The story is interesting simply because the character is interesting. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
Medianíssimo. ( )
  Ritinha_ | Aug 26, 2015 |
I feel like reading one of DC's current series, and chose this one for a variety of unimportant reasons. So far, it's unmemorable, but perfectly okay. There's potential, and I think I'll keep going with it. ( )
  comfypants | Nov 30, 2014 |
Okay. So, Barbara Gordon didn't get permanently paralyzed and become Oracle exactly anymore. Instead, in this New 52 Batgirl reboot, after getting shot in L1 and being paralyzed for 3 years she's regained the ability to walk through some sort of miracle cure-ish thing, and she's back to being Batgirl (As an aside. Although I love what Simone has done with this title here, I still miss Oracle terribly).

So, there's a new psycho in Gotham. (actually in this TPB there are a couple of different new Gotham villains). The Mirror, (or Mirror Man, I wasn't quite sure what his name was). And Gretal. Both were interesting and definitely had different stories.

I also thought that how they interspersed how Barbara went from paralyzed to walking was good. It was given in dribs and drabs. I also really liked the interactions that happened with Batgirl and Batwoman, Batgirl and Batman, Batgirl and Nightwing.

But (aside from me wishing that Barbara was still Oracle) some of the Batgirl angst over her walking/not walking, the cure, etc, seemed to overwhelm the rest of the story. ( )
1 vote DanieXJ | Nov 25, 2014 |
I read Vol. 3 as part of the "Death of a Family" cross-over and really liked it, so wanted to back-up and start from the beginning with this character. I've never read the Oracle character so am quite happy with the new background given to BG, since I know no other. This was quite intense, and especially knowing how much more intense it's going to get, I thought it was a great intro to Barbara/Batgirl. As with all the Bat-family books I love how other characters will pop-up. Here BG has an interlude with Nightwing [sigh] and she helps Batman out of a tight spot. The Mirror was a bit of a lame villain but I thought Gretel was pretty cool and it would be neat to have her show up in Arkham in the future. Having read V3 already, I'm now getting the background on some plotlines and I really like what Simone is writing. I like the art as well, it has the dark, moody Batman feel to it, just the way I like my Gotham City! ( )
  ElizaJane | May 28, 2014 |

Gail Simoneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cifuentes, VicenteInker, Additional Pencilsmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Syaf, ArdianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Who the devil...?

Collects: BATGIRL 1-6.

Mirror, the nightmare-inducing brute, is destroying the lives of Gotham City citizens seemingly at random. A new chapter in the riveting adventures of "Batgirl" continue in stunning fashion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,719,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible