Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead

Liar & Spy

by Rebecca Stead

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: While intelligent young people in New York City have unusual adventures that revolve around mysteries -- Liar's Georges spies on neighbors; Claudia hides out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art -- their observations, conversations, emotions and experiences are entirely convincing.… (more)

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. Georges was an authentic character for me, and I think a character that a lot of middle grade readers would relate to. There's a lot of creativity in how Georges solves his problems, which I found fun and clever. Safer's story was a bit of a letdown for me, though I did not see the twist coming. Bob English Who Draws gets the prize for the best name in the book! Because I read and loved "When You Reach Me" a few years ago, I was inevitably comparing this book to that one, and I think that "When You Reach Me" was better done. However, this for me was a pleasant, if not earth-shattering read, and one that I would recommend to a 5th or 6th grader. ( )
  readergirliz | Mar 7, 2017 |
This one never engaged me although I read it pretty quickly. I don't see a Newbery out of this one at all. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Well I loved it. I'm not sure how broad its appeal is, though. I especially loved the formation of Blue Team. Candy's character is a little superficial. I want to get to know more of the kids at school better (sequel? but stand-alone, set in one of their stories?). An immersive read that took me one evening. Um, 4.5 stars. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This one is a slow starter, but I was glad I stuck it out. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Narrated by Jesse Bernstein. I may have to read the print to see what clues I may have missed but late in the book I pretty much figured out what Safer's situation was. Georges' story also had me going, but in the back of my mind, I had questions about the mom's double shifts at the hospital. Bernstein youthfully voices Georges' story, nicely bringing out Georges' exasperation at Safer's increasing demands on their spy missions. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
For Randi
There's this totally false map of the human tongue.

Summary from the Kindle edition: Seventh-grader Georges adjusts to moving from a house to an apartment, his father's efforts to start a new business, his mother's extra shifts as a nurse, being picked on at school, and Safer, a boy who wants his help spying on another resident of their building.

An instant New York Times bestseller, Liar & Spy is a story about games and friendship. Seventh-grader Georges moves into a Brooklyn apartment building and meets Safer, a twelve-year-old self-appointed spy. Georges becomes Safer's first spy recruit. His assignment? Tracking the mysterious Mr. X, who lives in the apartment upstairs. But as Safer becomes more demanding, Georges starts to wonder: How far is too far to go for your only friend?

Like Stead's dazzling Newbery-winner When You Reach Me, Liar & Spy will keep readers guessing until the end.

* A New York Times bestseller
   * The Horn Book's Best of 2012 List
   * The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books 2012 Blue Ribbons List
   * Barnes & Noble Best Books of 2012 for Kids List
   * NPR Outstanding "Backseat" Reads for Ages 9-14, NPR's Backseat Book Club
   * Amazon's Top 5 "Best of the Year" (Middle Grade Books)
   * The Wall Street Journal's Best Children's Books of 2012
   * The Chicago Public Library Best of the Best 2012
   * A Junior Library Guild Selection

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

Seventh-grader Georges adjusts to moving from a house to an apartment, his father's efforts to start a new business, his mother's extra shifts as a nurse, being picked on at school, and Safer, a boy who wants his help spying on another resident of their building.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,883,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible