Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead

Liar & Spy

by Rebecca Stead

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: While intelligent young people in New York City have unusual adventures that revolve around mysteries -- Liar's Georges spies on neighbors; Claudia hides out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art -- their observations, conversations, emotions and experiences are entirely convincing.… (more)

Not as good as "When You Reach Me" but still worth the read. ( )
  rebeccar76 | Jun 24, 2015 |
This book is beautifully written and a joy to read. The characters are well drawn and the plot moves swiftly but certainly not superficially. I will recommend this to all my fourth and fifth grade students. ( )
  Ms.Elkins | Jun 1, 2015 |
Georges' life is in flux. His family just moved, he's trying to get used to the new people in his apartment building, and he's dealing with some bullies at school. I enjoyed how the truth was slowly revealed to readers with Georges eventually taking control and coming to terms with the realities in his life.
An enjoyable, well-written read. ( )
  ewyatt | May 31, 2015 |
This was an amazing book that I will have in my future classroom. Teaches the lessons of being yourself and finding friends that value you for your idiosyncrasies. Also, shows that friendship can help you get over personal fears and be a stronger person. I loved the complexities of the characters and how believable they were. As a reader, I could see everyone's perspectives and that is a really impressive feat for a writer to accomplish. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Apr 25, 2015 |
This was an unexpectedly great book. I had only read Until You Reach Me and I loved that but this one was so different, I wasn't sure. It was so much packed into a very small book. I don't want to spoil anything about it but the basic premise is that a family moves from their house into an apartment building and the son meets a very strange friend there. Gah. That is such a sterile description but this story was anything but. Just trust me and read it.

http://webereading.com/2015/04/cleaning-slate-bunch-of-quick-reviews.html ( )
  klpm | Apr 25, 2015 |
For Randi
There's this totally false map of the human tongue.

Summary from the Kindle edition: Seventh-grader Georges adjusts to moving from a house to an apartment, his father's efforts to start a new business, his mother's extra shifts as a nurse, being picked on at school, and Safer, a boy who wants his help spying on another resident of their building.

An instant New York Times bestseller, Liar & Spy is a story about games and friendship. Seventh-grader Georges moves into a Brooklyn apartment building and meets Safer, a twelve-year-old self-appointed spy. Georges becomes Safer's first spy recruit. His assignment? Tracking the mysterious Mr. X, who lives in the apartment upstairs. But as Safer becomes more demanding, Georges starts to wonder: How far is too far to go for your only friend?

Like Stead's dazzling Newbery-winner When You Reach Me, Liar & Spy will keep readers guessing until the end.

* A New York Times bestseller
   * The Horn Book's Best of 2012 List
   * The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books 2012 Blue Ribbons List
   * Barnes & Noble Best Books of 2012 for Kids List
   * NPR Outstanding "Backseat" Reads for Ages 9-14, NPR's Backseat Book Club
   * Amazon's Top 5 "Best of the Year" (Middle Grade Books)
   * The Wall Street Journal's Best Children's Books of 2012
   * The Chicago Public Library Best of the Best 2012
   * A Junior Library Guild Selection

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

Seventh-grader Georges adjusts to moving from a house to an apartment, his father's efforts to start a new business, his mother's extra shifts as a nurse, being picked on at school, and Safer, a boy who wants his help spying on another resident of their building.… (more)

37 wanted2 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,994,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible