Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead

Liar & Spy (edition 2012)

by Rebecca Stead

Title:Liar & Spy
Authors:Rebecca Stead
Info:Wendy Lamb Books (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 192 pages
Collections:2012, Your library
Tags:Nov 2012, Elementary, Fiction

Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: While intelligent young people in New York City have unusual adventures that revolve around mysteries -- Liar's Georges spies on neighbors; Claudia hides out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art -- their observations, conversations, emotions and experiences are entirely convincing.… (more)

Well I loved it. I'm not sure how broad its appeal is, though. I especially loved the formation of Blue Team. Candy's character is a little superficial. I want to get to know more of the kids at school better (sequel? but stand-alone, set in one of their stories?). An immersive read that took me one evening. Um, 4.5 stars. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This one is a slow starter, but I was glad I stuck it out. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Narrated by Jesse Bernstein. I may have to read the print to see what clues I may have missed but late in the book I pretty much figured out what Safer's situation was. Georges' story also had me going, but in the back of my mind, I had questions about the mom's double shifts at the hospital. Bernstein youthfully voices Georges' story, nicely bringing out Georges' exasperation at Safer's increasing demands on their spy missions. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
The book carried many connections for me. I couldn't relate, myself, as a middle school girl, but I could understand some of the experiences Georges experienced because my middle school son has some of the same struggles.
  JenniferNapoleon | Feb 1, 2016 |
Another wonderful book by Stead. Very different from her Newbery-winning book When You Reach Me, Liar and Spy still carries her hallmark of great character development. Georges moves into an apartment building in Brooklyn, where he meets neighbor Safer. The two begin spying on their neighbor, as Safer suspects that the elusive Mr. X is hiding something. The story unfolds as the reader uncovers the truth, not about Mr. X, but about Safer's and Georges' lives.

There isn't too much in the way of plot here; the story is very much character-based. It is still a page-turner, though, and filled with emotion. Great for fans of Stead, as well as fans of other character-driven books like Okay for Now. Ages 9-14. ( )
  AmeliaHerring | Jan 22, 2016 |
For Randi
There's this totally false map of the human tongue.

Summary from the Kindle edition: Seventh-grader Georges adjusts to moving from a house to an apartment, his father's efforts to start a new business, his mother's extra shifts as a nurse, being picked on at school, and Safer, a boy who wants his help spying on another resident of their building.

An instant New York Times bestseller, Liar & Spy is a story about games and friendship. Seventh-grader Georges moves into a Brooklyn apartment building and meets Safer, a twelve-year-old self-appointed spy. Georges becomes Safer's first spy recruit. His assignment? Tracking the mysterious Mr. X, who lives in the apartment upstairs. But as Safer becomes more demanding, Georges starts to wonder: How far is too far to go for your only friend?

Like Stead's dazzling Newbery-winner When You Reach Me, Liar & Spy will keep readers guessing until the end.
   * A New York Times bestseller
   * The Horn Book's Best of 2012 List
   * The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books 2012 Blue Ribbons List
   * Barnes & Noble Best Books of 2012 for Kids List
   * NPR Outstanding "Backseat" Reads for Ages 9-14, NPR's Backseat Book Club
   * Amazon's Top 5 "Best of the Year" (Middle Grade Books)
   * The Wall Street Journal's Best Children's Books of 2012
   * The Chicago Public Library Best of the Best 2012
   * A Junior Library Guild Selection

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

Seventh-grader Georges adjusts to moving from a house to an apartment, his father's efforts to start a new business, his mother's extra shifts as a nurse, being picked on at school, and Safer, a boy who wants his help spying on another resident of their building.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,743,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible