Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead

Liar & Spy (edition 2012)

by Rebecca Stead

Member:DWEmma
Title:Liar & Spy
Authors:Rebecca Stead
Info:Wendy Lamb Books (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 192 pages
Tags:MG

Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead

This was an amazing book that I will have in my future classroom. Teaches the lessons of being yourself and finding friends that value you for your idiosyncrasies. Also, shows that friendship can help you get over personal fears and be a stronger person. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Apr 25, 2015 |
This was an unexpectedly great book. I had only read Until You Reach Me and I loved that but this one was so different, I wasn't sure. It was so much packed into a very small book. I don't want to spoil anything about it but the basic premise is that a family moves from their house into an apartment building and the son meets a very strange friend there. Gah. That is such a sterile description but this story was anything but. Just trust me and read it.

http://webereading.com/2015/04/cleaning-slate-bunch-of-quick-reviews.html ( )
  klpm | Apr 25, 2015 |
This was a really great coming of age book that deals with some pretty tough subjects for kids, but things that all kids go through. Bullying, friendship difficulties, sickness, financial worries etc. I thought it was a really great read. I didn't think came across as dumbed down for young readers. I really enjoyed it. A very complex and touching plot with a good role model as the narrator.
  ssho2 | Jan 28, 2015 |
This brought me back to middle school; the team colors and the importance of which table you sat at and with who. It just makes me cringe! A very accurate account of what it is like to be a middle schooler. This is a surprisingly better story than I had imagined and I am glad that I took the library/media specialist's recommendation on this one; she has never steered me wrong! Even though the book takes place in a middle school with students older than my fourth graders, I still thought that it would be a good book to share as a read aloud, or to pull a few pages out of and use as a shared reading piece with the Doc Cam. The metaphors in the book would be a great example to use for a lesson in figurative language. ( )
  Taranto | Dec 3, 2014 |
This was a good read. The novel highlights the efforts of the Spy Club, the training of its newest member and the mission to uncover the mysterious Mr. X. This novel seemed straightforward at first. However, Georges and Safer's evolving friendship, lessons about taste buds, and a game of scrabble between mother and son create a surprisingly complex story. I loved how the story touched upon several issues that pre-teens confront and revealed the depths we go to to hide the matters that are closest to our hearts. This book could open up a wide array of discussions within a classroom or within a family. ( )
  lolhscybrarian | Dec 2, 2014 |
For Randi
There's this totally false map of the human tongue.

Summary from the Kindle edition: Seventh-grader Georges adjusts to moving from a house to an apartment, his father's efforts to start a new business, his mother's extra shifts as a nurse, being picked on at school, and Safer, a boy who wants his help spying on another resident of their building.

An instant New York Times bestseller, Liar & Spy is a story about games and friendship. Seventh-grader Georges moves into a Brooklyn apartment building and meets Safer, a twelve-year-old self-appointed spy. Georges becomes Safer's first spy recruit. His assignment? Tracking the mysterious Mr. X, who lives in the apartment upstairs. But as Safer becomes more demanding, Georges starts to wonder: How far is too far to go for your only friend?

Like Stead's dazzling Newbery-winner When You Reach Me, Liar & Spy will keep readers guessing until the end.

* A New York Times bestseller
   * The Horn Book's Best of 2012 List
   * The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books 2012 Blue Ribbons List
   * Barnes & Noble Best Books of 2012 for Kids List
   * NPR Outstanding "Backseat" Reads for Ages 9-14, NPR's Backseat Book Club
   * Amazon's Top 5 "Best of the Year" (Middle Grade Books)
   * The Wall Street Journal's Best Children's Books of 2012
   * The Chicago Public Library Best of the Best 2012
   * A Junior Library Guild Selection

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

Seventh-grader Georges adjusts to moving from a house to an apartment, his father's efforts to start a new business, his mother's extra shifts as a nurse, being picked on at school, and Safer, a boy who wants his help spying on another resident of their building.… (more)

24 wanted2 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,232,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible