Hide And Seek by Ian Rankin

Hide And Seek (original 1991; edition 2005)

by Ian Rankin

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Hide And Seek
Authors:Ian Rankin
Info:Orion (2005), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Crime, Inspector Rebus, TBR

Hide & Seek by Ian Rankin (1991)

English (42)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (44)
A fairly easy read. Rebus is an interesting character and the story was well plotted with a less than obvious outcome. It has a realistic feeling to it and lives within the time that it was written, although much of that would still work now.

I read it because it was cheap and I have always wondered if the Rebus novels were any good. I think that they are based on this one (the second of many) and I can see why they sell by the truckload. ( )
  jmkemp | Jul 5, 2016 |
An enjoyable book. Set in Edinburgh. My first in the series but will not be the last. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
From Amazon:

At night the summer sky stays light over Edinburgh. But in a shadowy, crumbling housing development, a junkie lies dead of an overdose, his bruised body surrounded by signs of Satanic worship. John Rebus could call the death and accident--but won't. Instead, he tracks down a violent-tempered young woman who knew the dead boy and heard him cry out his terrifying last words: "Hide! Hide!" Now, with the help of a bright, conflicted young detective, Rebus is following the girl through a brutal world of bad deals, bad dope and bad company. From a beautiful city's darkest side to the private sanctums of the upper crust, Rebus is seeking the perfect hiding place for a killer.

My Thoughts:

Like most cities, there are two sides of Edinburgh, Scotland. There's the side that tourists see: the city of Grayfriar's Bobby, of the annual Summer Festival, of the quaint pubs and the scenic castle sitting on a hill called Arthur's Throne. Then there's the other side of Edinburgh, the domain of Detective Inspector John Rebus. Rebus is a believable cop - with lots of personality quirks and a not-so-perfect personal life. The descriptions of his work environment and the politics involved in being a cop are on the money. He makes Scotland comes alive...the weather, the moods, the citizens, and above all...the crime. Anyone who is looking for something different, and compelling will want to read Ian Rankin's John Rebus novels. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I am slightly warming up to Inspector Rebus but he still doesn't interest me as much as other fictional detectives I'm familiar with. Nevertheless, I will keep on going both because of all the comments on my reading thread and because it is a long series. In this novel, a junkie dies of an apparent overdose in a squalid house he is squatting in with his girlfriend after he tells his girlfriend to hide because "they're coming" and "they've murdered me." He is found downstairs in a room painted with mystical symbols and a packet of good heroin next to him, although his girlfriend said she found him upstairs (and ran out) and an autopsy revealed he died of rat poison. He has bruises on his body, was a photographer when he wasn't strung out, and prostituted himself with men to gain money for heroin. Inspector Rebus is ordered by his boss to star in an antidrug campaign and lunches at Edinburgh's fanciest restaurant with the city's movers and shakers who are funding the campaign, thus meeting them. Needless to say, the movers and shakers have a definite role in the death of the junkie, through complicated plotting and a somewhat shocking conclusion.
  rebeccanyc | May 30, 2016 |
Detective Inspector John Rebus is back following the case in Knots and Crosses; this time he finds himself on a case that that may have supernatural elements to it. The body of a drug addict is found in a squat, in between two burnt down candles and a pentagram painted on the wall next to it. While most people were quick to discard this of a heroin overdose, Rebus is determined to investigate to find the true circumstances surrounding this death. What transpires is something far more sinister than a simple overdoes, is it murder? Or even worst, is it a conspiracy?

One thing that I really enjoyed about Knots and Crosses was the way Ian Rankin took on a different approach to the crime genre. The crime took a back seat in the story and the novel spent most of the time developing characters and building the backstory that will set up the rest of the series. I understand that Hide and Seek would not be able to continue developing John Rebus as a character the same way Knots and Crosses but I still expected more. I knew Rankin could write a crime novel that was not formulaic or unoriginal, but Hide and Seek was not on the same level as the first book in the series.

It has been come out that Hide and Seek was Ian Rankin’s attempt in presenting a modern take on The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. A story that fascinates Rankin; he has even filmed a documentary (Ian Rankin Investigates Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde) exploring the origins of this classic from fellow Scottish writer Robert Louis Stevenson. There are a few nods to the classic found in this book from ‘Hide’ in the title of the novel and the private member’s club known as the Hyde club.

Ian Rankin found himself in the middle of a scandal when a case featuring similarities to the novel became apparent. This scandal was mentioned in parliament and two lawyers opened an investigation into Rankin to determine if there was any connection. While any allegations made towards Ian Rankin turned out to be false, this real life scandal gave this book some extra attention in the public eye.

I was very disappointed with Hide and Seek and will continue my search for a new crime series. I have very particular taste, but mostly I want a series that is dark, gritty, original and does not feel like a ‘crime of the week’ situation; is this too much to ask for? I thought Inspector Rebus may have been a good series to explore, but this novel convinced me otherwise. Not sure if the next book (Tooth and Nail) is any good but I do not think I will be finding out.

This book originally appeared on my blog; http://www.knowledgelost.org/book-reviews/genre/crime/hide-and-seek-by-ian-ranki... ( )
  knowledge_lost | Apr 25, 2016 |
"My devil had long been caged, he came out roaring."--The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
To Michael Shaw, not before time
'Hide!'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312963971, Mass Market Paperback)

At night the summer sky stays light over Edinburgh. But in a shadowy, crumbling housing development, a junkie lies dead of an overdose, his bruised body surrounded by signs of Satanic worship. John Rebus could call the death and accident--but won't. Instead, he tracks down a violent-tempered young woman who knew the dead boy and heard him cry out his terrifyng last words: "Hide! Hide!" Now, with the help of a bright, conflicted young detective, Rebus is following the girl through a brutal world of bad deals, bad dope and bad company. From a beautiful city's darkest side to the private sanctums of the upper crust, Rebus is seeking the perfect hiding place for a killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

A junkie lies dead in an Edinburgh squat, spreadeagled, cross-like on the floor between two burned-down candles, a five-pointed star daubed on the wall above. Just another dead addict, until John Rebus begins to chip away at the indifference, treachery, deceit and sleaze that lurks behind the facade of the Edinburgh familiar to the tourists.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,425,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible