The Book Lover by Maryann McFadden

The Book Lover (edition 2012)

by Maryann McFadden

Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:2013

The book lover by Maryann Mcfadden

Recently added byJudithDCollins

I absolutely loved this book! I had previous read Mary Ann McFadden's prior two books over the past years "Richest Season" and "So Happy Together" , which I thoroughly enjoyed.

"The Book Lover" was brilliant and belongs on the best seller list! Being an avid reader, I could not put this book down! Her honesty and challenges of being a writer and becoming published was portrayed wonderfully (hats off to MaryAnn), and as a bonus the other correlations and poignant stories between the characters so beautifully portrayed (Ruth/Thomas - the bookstore owner, woman, mother-history and struggles; Lucy's past and present; Colin and the injured birds/healing), the lovely characters you fall in love with at the book store, and Ruth taking Hannah under her wing - did not want the book to end (loved the ending). I would love to see a series or movie with Lucy/Thomas, Colin/Lucy, and a new man possibly for Hannah, and the continuation of Megan and her inspirations with the book store and the quaint town.

McFadden is an excellent writer and storyteller and she was able to take so many elements and tie them together for a powerful, healing, and uplifting story! In addition, the setting in the quaint small downtown village, woods, nature, cabins, and coast..(my favorite places). Oh, and the St Augustine, FL setting, as well which I lived and worked covering this area previously, so could relate with the surroundings.

Wow, this book covered all my passions and McFadden put it together and packaged it beautifully - you do not get any better than this! Highly Recommend!! Cannot wait for her next masterpiece! You will want to read her previous works as well. Excellent!" ( )

| Nov 26, 2014 | edit |

Ruth Hardaway has had one passion all her life: books. For thirty years she's devoted her life to her book store, trying to bury her painful past. But now the store is in jeopardy, and the past is catching up with her. Lucinda Barrett lost everything in a life-shattering betrayal. Desperate, she goes after one last dream - to be an author. Alone and broke, she embarks on a journey, eventually landing on Ruth's doorstep. Ruth takes Lucy under her wing, championing her book and even offering her refuge at a nearby lake cabin. In return, she wants Lucy to keep an eye on her son, Colin, who's recovering from a war injury. As the two women grow closer and begin to face the past, neither has any idea that their toughest decisions lie ahead - or that their friendship is about to fall apart because of a little white lie.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:29 -0400)

When Lucinda Barrett's husband destroys their marriage in a shocking betrayal, she's left with nothing but the shattered remnants of her life-- and her novel. Desperate to keep one last dream alive, she sets out on a 1,000 mile journey to get it into the hands of readers-- one bookstore at a time. Ruth Hardaway knows all about shattered dreams. For the last 30 years she's devoted her life to her store, The Book Lover, trying to bury her painful past. When Ruth discovers Lucy's novel, their lives intertwine as they move steadily toward the revelation of long-hidden secrets.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,038,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible