The Complete Adventures and Memoirs of…

The Complete Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"The Yellow Face"
Thus far, this is my favorite of the Sherlock Holmes short stories. It's wonderful to see Sherlock be wrong, for a change. It humanizes him. Yet, even being wrong, he delighted in the resolution in the case, rather than being resentful - a sign of humility. The ending was wonderful. I truly enjoyed it.

"The Stockbroker's Clerk"
Meh. It just feels like a re-imaging of the Red-Headed League, to me.

"The Gloria Scott"
Not as captivating as some of his other stories, but it was still an interesting peak into the mind of Sherlock Holmes.

"The Musgrave Ritual"
Yay! I love it when I can solve the puzzle before the final reveal. At the same time, given how horrible I am at puzzles and mysteries, it makes me feel that this must have been lazily written if I could figure it out so readily.

"The Final Solution"
Ummm...What the hell is this crap? There's no real build of story, no interesting events, and then it just ends. It's far too obviously how Doyle felt about Sherlock by this story. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 24, 2013 |
This took me a LONG time to get through, because I picked up this book pretty infrequently to squeeze in a story between other books, but I am SO GLAD that I have finally read all of these. My first exposure to Sherlock Holmes came in my eighth grade classroom when we were assigned "The Hound of the Baskervilles." Eighth-grader me no likey, but all growned-up me really enjoyed these stories. I should have taken some reading notes on the individual stories, because there are so many and I read them over such a stretch of time that they are all a bit of a jumble. But, in short, I loved these stories and they were so much more enjoyable than my twelve-year-old self would have anticipated. ( )
  leirali | Feb 18, 2012 |
Everyone seems to like The Scandal In Bohemia because it hat what they say Sherlock Holmes refers to as The Woman. But will Irene Adler appear or be acknowledged again in this book? Just wondering.
  ennedroC | May 14, 2011 |
After reading A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of the Four, I wasn't psyched to continue with Holmes, but I soon formed the opinion that the character works way better in short stories. I was disappointed that Dr. Watson leaves Holmes to get married (although he comes back later), since that relationship is really the key to the stories for me. They manage to continue to work together, and Watson has some interesting speculations on Holmes's life on his own. The end of the Memoirs collection is a bit of a shock, and rather anti-climactic - literally, it turns out. ( )
  scootm | Jan 25, 2011 |
I had a great time reading the Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, although in hindsight I wish that I'd begun at the beginning of Sherlock Holmes' story with A Study in Scarlet. It was easy enough to piece together the background since each short story adds bits and pieces of their history, but it made for a choppy intro. There were some adventures and memoirs that I enjoyed more than others, but they were all enjoyable. It took me a while to get through the book simply because I felt no pressing need to get to the end. I'd read a story here and there, in-between other books. There are 12 stories in the Adventures, and 11 stories in the Memoirs. Overall I probably enjoyed the Adventures more because they were, well, more adventurous. ( )
  melopher | Sep 27, 2009 |

Is contained in

Contains

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Scandal in Bohemia by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Red-Headed League [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

A Case of Identity [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Boscombe Valley Mystery (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #4) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Case of the Five Orange Pips by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

This omnibus collection only contains short stories from works listed as item numbers 3 and 4 on the series page; The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. It does not contain any novels, nor stories from later collections.

Sherlock Holmes is a detective that is very smart ,he has a helper named Watson.Watson is a married man and he had left Sherlock because of that.When Watson left Sherlock he noticed that he was the same person he was when he left him.
the book start with one case about a

A facsimile edition of the original 24 Sherlock Holmes stories from London's The Strand Magazine, written between 1891 and 1893, with black and white illustrations by Sidney Paget.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:52 -0400)

Collects twenty-three stories featuring Sherlock Holmes as he is pitted against the Ku Klux Klan, confronted by his archenemy Professor Moriarty, and outwitted by the most unlikely of persons. Includes book club questions by noted educator Arthur Pober, Ed. D.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,149,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible