Benang: From the Heart by Kim Scott

Benang: From the Heart (1999)

by Kim Scott

832145,226 (3.5)1 / 15

James Baldwin once said that there are no white people, only people who think they are white. (James Baldwin, 'On being "white" and other lies' reprinted in David Roediger (ed.), Black on White: Black Writers on What it Means to be White).

So one could say, then, that to think of oneself as white is fantasmatic? If whiteness is a cultural "ideal", it can not be achieved only approached - never arrived at. What then of Aboriginality? Of other shades?.

Harley the central character in Benang stumbles on to the discovery of his bloodline,and his perceptions change paradoxically losing himself while uncovering his history.

Meanwhile I find myself stuck in a similar paradox finding some personal meanings in Scott's Benang whilst becoming further lost in a labyrinth of narratives (and pages of notes I have written for this review) - I thought this might be a quick review to write but it's going to take longer than I thought & deserves more time.

so till then I can only say the effect Benang had for me was profound and most likely life altering. (i am continuing to arrange my thoughts to complete this review).

Library discard. 1 of 12 for $6. Mine has a different cover. ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
a must read book ( )
  banksia13 | Mar 8, 2011 |

A novel concerned with the reclaiming of personal and cultural history. The narrator sets out to trace his connection to family and country through the minefield of post-colonial Aboriginal history. Aust. author. True country.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,022,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible