The Cup of Ghosts by Paul Doherty

The Cup of Ghosts (2005)

by Paul Doherty

1191101,247 (3.58)5

Set in the early 1300s during the reign of Edward II, this is the first in a series by Paul Doherty about Mathilde of Westminster, the lady-in-waiting to Princess Isabella.

Mathilde escapes the persecution of the Templars, assumes a new identity and is placed in the service of Princess Isabella. An arranged marriage between Princess Isabella and Edward II sees them move from France to England. Mathilde has an in depth knowledge of herbal remedies and by 1322 was considered the finest physician in London.

This book was full of suspense, political intrigue and violence, coloured by Royal decadence - definitely a recipe to keep the pages turning quickly.

I am a huge fan of historical fiction, although this is the first time I've come across this author, who has written 14 books set in medieval times (which I can't wait to read).

I absolutely loved this book, and can't wait for the next one in the series. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Oct 24, 2010 |
This book is dedicated to an awe-inspiring mother
Vivien Rose Self
Lost too early in life from her loving family
Bless me, Father, for I have sinned.

1322, Mathilde of Westminster was considered the finest physician in London. But in her years as lady-in-waiting to Princess Isabella, who married the feckless Edward II, she was drawn into the murky politics of the English court, where sudden, mysterious death was part of the tapestry of life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible