101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books) by Dodie…

101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books) (original 1956; edition 1989)

by Dodie Smith

Member:erinobrien
Title:101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books)
Authors:Dodie Smith
Info:Puffin (1989), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 184 pages

The One Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith (1956)

English (28)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
This is a classic, which I first read when I was about ten. The plot is well-known due to the Disney movie version. Two dalmations go to rescue their stolen puppies, and find rather more than they were expecting. However Disney took some liberties, one of which was to call the adult dalmations Pongo and Perdita. In the book, Pongo's wife is called Missus, and Perdita is a stray dog who fosters some of their puppies.

Re-reading it, I found it unexpectedly moving in several places, as well as enjoying the gentle humour of others.

I'm not sure who would enjoy it these days. Ten-year-olds are far less innocent than I was at that age, and those who read fluently would probably find it boring, particularly if they've seen the Disney film. However it would make a wonderful read-aloud book for a younger child, as it's the kind of book which isn't condescending at all - and the humour would appeal to many parents. I would hope too that there are a few remaining more sensitive children of about 8-10 who might enjoy this for what it is. Boys as well as girls.

Update: March 2012. I just finished reading this aloud to a six-year-old friend, who loved it, despite finding a few sections rather scary. I enjoyed it very much myself, too, and was - again - oddly moved in a few places. Definitely recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Classic dog tale of 101 Dalmatians which was used as the basis for the Disney movie of the same name. I enjoyed the story although the movie does change some of it. I liked the history of the DeVil family and Cruella's eccentricities. I thought the barking times and network were great. It is fun for kids and adults. A good read! ( )
  Sheila1957 | Dec 7, 2015 |
If only Disney had left it alone. I reread this recently after more than 20 years and was amazed at how excellently crafted this story is. The Midnight Bark and the network of dogs that helps Pongo and Perdy find their pups are nothing short of beautiful, on the level of "Charlotte's Web." I am still spellbound by the adventure of it all, the threat to the family, and the comforting idea of being connected to endless kind and hospitable souls just by sounding the alarm. The message is, if you find enough kindred spirits in this world, you can defeat Cruella de Vil. And now it's just a second-rate cartoon with fifth-rate sequels and Glenn Close slopping through goop in fright wigs--with the original classic possibly, but hopefully not, forgotten. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Feb 27, 2015 |
Reckon it must've been around 1986 when I read this. Can't remember too much about it now, though know I enjoyed it at the time, as I did the animated film, so think four stars should be about right. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 5, 2015 |
I learned from this book that I should be studying children's literature, not the Victorian stuff! This was actually a really nice, fun book. I would by all means recomend it, to more or less anyone. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |

Dodie Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dooling, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jarvis, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, Anne GrahameIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, Janet GrahameIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not long ago, there lived in London a young married couple of Dalmation dogs named Pongo and Missis Pongo.
This is the main work for the book by Dodie Smith. It should not be combined with any film adaptation, abridgement, etc.

The book that inspired the animated movie classic!

When Dearly's Dalmatians have their first litter of pups—fifteen in all—everyone is delighted. But their joy is shortlived, for the pups are kidnapped! Scotland Yard is baffled, but the keenest canine minds are on the case—and on the trail of Cruella de Vil, the most fiendish person to ever covet a fur coat.

Pongo and Missis would give everything they have to bring their puppies safely home... but will they succeed in rescuing them from the cluthes of the evil Cruella de Vil?

"A tale full to overflowing with those prime requisites of a good story—warmth and humor, imagination and suspense."—Chicago Sunday Tribune

"Superb reading. The puzzle of the hundred and one is delightful.... Highly recommended."—SLJ

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:19 -0400)

Pongo the Dalmatian and his wife Missis undertake a daring expedition to rescue their fifteen puppies from the clutches of the vicious Cruella de Vil.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,191,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible