101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books) by Dodie…

101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books) (original 1956; edition 1989)

by Dodie Smith

Title:101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books)
Authors:Dodie Smith
Info:Puffin (1989), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 184 pages

The One Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith (1956)

English (31)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
This book was about a happy couple, Mr and Mrs Dearly, and their two dogs, who were married, Pongo and Missis. The two dogs had puppies, fifteen puppies. Cruella de Vil, a lady who lives quite near the Dearlys, stole the darling pups one day, with help from the Budden brothers, Soul Budden and Jasper Budden.

But why? Oh, I'll tell you why. It's because that Cruella de Vil wanted to skin the poor pups for fur coats. Apparently, she'd 'never thought of skinning dogs' till a few days before she stole the pups...

Do you think that Pongo and Missis will be in type to save the pups? ( )
  LaviniaRossetti | Sep 6, 2016 |
I've loved the Disney movie based on this book for a long time (even as a small child, anything featuring dogs was a sure winner with me). But somehow I missed out on reading the book until now. I'm sorry not to have read it as a child, because I would have loved it, too. Disney didn't stray too far from the main story in this case, though a few details were altered and a couple of characters were conflated -- for example, in the book Pongo's wife and Perdita are two different dogs! A few bits of the story feel rather dated, particularly the parts featuring Pongo's wife, who's very much the 1950's ideal little woman in canine form, but it's not enough to put me off of the book. If you're a fan of the movie, or of dog stories with happy endings (I think is not too much of a spoiler to say, 101+ dogs and none of them die!), this is a pleasant little read. ( )
  foggidawn | Apr 20, 2016 |
This is such a lovely book, I throughly enjoyed it.
(Full review: http://wordslikemagic.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/the-hundred-and-one-dalmatians-by...) ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
This is a classic, which I first read when I was about ten. The plot is well-known due to the Disney movie version. Two dalmations go to rescue their stolen puppies, and find rather more than they were expecting. However Disney took some liberties, one of which was to call the adult dalmations Pongo and Perdita. In the book, Pongo's wife is called Missus, and Perdita is a stray dog who fosters some of their puppies.

Re-reading it, I found it unexpectedly moving in several places, as well as enjoying the gentle humour of others.

I'm not sure who would enjoy it these days. Ten-year-olds are far less innocent than I was at that age, and those who read fluently would probably find it boring, particularly if they've seen the Disney film. However it would make a wonderful read-aloud book for a younger child, as it's the kind of book which isn't condescending at all - and the humour would appeal to many parents. I would hope too that there are a few remaining more sensitive children of about 8-10 who might enjoy this for what it is. Boys as well as girls.

Update: March 2012. I just finished reading this aloud to a six-year-old friend, who loved it, despite finding a few sections rather scary. I enjoyed it very much myself, too, and was - again - oddly moved in a few places. Definitely recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Classic dog tale of 101 Dalmatians which was used as the basis for the Disney movie of the same name. I enjoyed the story although the movie does change some of it. I liked the history of the DeVil family and Cruella's eccentricities. I thought the barking times and network were great. It is fun for kids and adults. A good read! ( )
  Sheila1957 | Dec 7, 2015 |

Dodie Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dooling, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jarvis, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, Anne GrahameIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, Janet GrahameIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not long ago, there lived in London a young married couple of Dalmation dogs named Pongo and Missis Pongo.
This is the main work for the book by Dodie Smith. It should not be combined with any film adaptation, abridgement, etc.

The book that inspired the animated movie classic!

When Dearly's Dalmatians have their first litter of pups—fifteen in all—everyone is delighted. But their joy is shortlived, for the pups are kidnapped! Scotland Yard is baffled, but the keenest canine minds are on the case—and on the trail of Cruella de Vil, the most fiendish person to ever covet a fur coat.

Pongo and Missis would give everything they have to bring their puppies safely home... but will they succeed in rescuing them from the cluthes of the evil Cruella de Vil?

"A tale full to overflowing with those prime requisites of a good story—warmth and humor, imagination and suspense."—Chicago Sunday Tribune

"Superb reading. The puzzle of the hundred and one is delightful.... Highly recommended."—SLJ

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:19 -0400)

Pongo the Dalmatian and his wife Missis undertake a daring expedition to rescue their fifteen puppies from the clutches of the vicious Cruella de Vil.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,723,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible