101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books) by Dodie…

101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books) (original 1956; edition 1989)

by Dodie Smith

Title:101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books)
Authors:Dodie Smith
Info:Puffin (1989), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 184 pages

The One Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith (1956)

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
If only Disney had left it alone. I reread this recently after more than 20 years and was amazed at how excellently crafted this story is. The Midnight Bark and the network of dogs that helps Pongo and Perdy find their pups are nothing short of beautiful, on the level of "Charlotte's Web." I am still spellbound by the adventure of it all, the threat to the family, and the comforting idea of being connected to endless kind and hospitable souls just by sounding the alarm. The message is, if you find enough kindred spirits in this world, you can defeat Cruella de Vil. And now it's just a second-rate cartoon with fifth-rate sequels and Glenn Close slopping through goop in fright wigs--with the original classic possibly, but hopefully not, forgotten. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Feb 27, 2015 |
Reckon it must've been around 1986 when I read this. Can't remember too much about it now, though know I enjoyed it at the time, as I did the animated film, so think four stars should be about right. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 5, 2015 |
I learned from this book that I should be studying children's literature, not the Victorian stuff! This was actually a really nice, fun book. I would by all means recomend it, to more or less anyone. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
An adorable animal adventure tale. Some of the attitudes about feminism and patriarchy expressed in this book are antiquated, and I'm not sure how much there is in terms of depth and complexity of themes to discuss with my EL510 students. But this was still a heartwarming, good-vs.-evil tale that I'm not sure how I missed when I was younger. ( )
  stephxsu | Apr 12, 2014 |
I first read this book at the tender age of 9, after seeing the (shudder) Walt Disney cartoon. As an adult, I can appreciate more of the humor that the author, Dodie Smith, utilized in the text, such as Pongo devouring Shakespeare as a puppy (in a tasty leather binding), or Missis wondering how she can depend on something that "depends".

Not just for children, there is plenty for any age to enjoy in this story. Go FETCH a copy, then SIT and STAY until you've finished reading it, it won't be a chore or bore! ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 25, 2014 |

Dodie Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dooling, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jarvis, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, Anne GrahameIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, Janet GrahameIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not long ago, there lived in London a young married couple of Dalmation dogs named Pongo and Missis Pongo.
This is the main work for the book by Dodie Smith. It should not be combined with any film adaptation, abridgement, etc.

The book that inspired the animated movie classic!

When Dearly's Dalmatians have their first litter of pups—fifteen in all—everyone is delighted. But their joy is shortlived, for the pups are kidnapped! Scotland Yard is baffled, but the keenest canine minds are on the case—and on the trail of Cruella de Vil, the most fiendish person to ever covet a fur coat.

Pongo and Missis would give everything they have to bring their puppies safely home... but will they succeed in rescuing them from the cluthes of the evil Cruella de Vil?

"A tale full to overflowing with those prime requisites of a good story—warmth and humor, imagination and suspense."—Chicago Sunday Tribune

"Superb reading. The puzzle of the hundred and one is delightful.... Highly recommended."—SLJ

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:19 -0400)

Pongo the Dalmatian and his wife Missis undertake a daring expedition to rescue their fifteen puppies from the clutches of the vicious Cruella de Vil.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,948,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible