101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books) by Dodie…

101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books) (original 1956; edition 1989)

by Dodie Smith

Member:erinobrien
Title:101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books)
Authors:Dodie Smith
Info:

The One Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith (1956)

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
I learned from this book that I should be studying children's literature, not the Victorian stuff! This was actually a really nice, fun book. I would by all means recomend it, to more or less anyone. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
An adorable animal adventure tale. Some of the attitudes about feminism and patriarchy expressed in this book are antiquated, and I'm not sure how much there is in terms of depth and complexity of themes to discuss with my EL510 students. But this was still a heartwarming, good-vs.-evil tale that I'm not sure how I missed when I was younger. ( )
  stephxsu | Apr 12, 2014 |
I first read this book at the tender age of 9, after seeing the (shudder) Walt Disney cartoon. As an adult, I can appreciate more of the humor that the author, Dodie Smith, utilized in the text, such as Pongo devouring Shakespeare as a puppy (in a tasty leather binding), or Missis wondering how she can depend on something that "depends".

Not just for children, there is plenty for any age to enjoy in this story. Go FETCH a copy, then SIT and STAY until you've finished reading it, it won't be a chore or bore! ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 25, 2014 |
Oh so much better than the movie! It's getting difficult to find a copy by Dodie Smith instead of Walt Disney ~ but that's the one you want. ( )
  AmandaWrites | Dec 30, 2013 |

fuzzi | Dec 3, 2013 |

Dodie Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dooling, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grahame-Johnstone, AnneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grahame-Johnstone, JanetIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jarvis, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not long ago, there lived in London a young married couple of Dalmation dogs named Pongo and Missis Pongo.
This is the main work for the book by Dodie Smith. It should not be combined with any film adaptation, abridgement, etc.

The book that inspired the animated movie classic!

When Dearly's Dalmatians have their first litter of pups—fifteen in all—everyone is delighted. But their joy is shortlived, for the pups are kidnapped! Scotland Yard is baffled, but the keenest canine minds are on the case—and on the trail of Cruella de Vil, the most fiendish person to ever covet a fur coat.

Pongo and Missis would give everything they have to bring their puppies safely home... but will they succeed in rescuing them from the cluthes of the evil Cruella de Vil?

"A tale full to overflowing with those prime requisites of a good story—warmth and humor, imagination and suspense."—Chicago Sunday Tribune

"Superb reading. The puzzle of the hundred and one is delightful.... Highly recommended."—SLJ

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:19 -0400)

Pongo the Dalmatian and his wife Missis undertake a daring expedition to rescue their fifteen puppies from the clutches of the vicious Cruella de Vil.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible