Dead Before Dying by Deon Meyer

Dead Before Dying (1996)

by Deon Meyer

Series: Mat Joubert (1)

This book took awhile to get going but I'm glad that I stuck with it. It's more than just a mystery. The book central character's personal and professional life is the central focus, the mystery is secondary. The African setting is interesting. It gave me a glimpse into a culture that I know very little about. I look forward to reading Deon Meyer's next book. ( )
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
Good suspense!
read in french!"jusqu'au dernier" titre français. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 1, 2016 |
It was my first Meyer's but definitely not my last one. The story is taking place in Cape Town with all its problems as violence, difficulties of racism, politic etc.. M.A.T. Joubert working as a Captain at the Murder and Robbery department is the main character. He struggles with the murder of his wife as well with his smoking habit, his bad shape and his heaviness. With his team he has to solve a series of murders and in a side show to stop a series of bank hold-up. He has got some good colleagues which are helping him. I've got familiar very quickly with all the protagonists and liked their character as well. It's a fast-paced and gripping reading and kept me guessing until the very last page. ( )
  Ameise1 | Jul 21, 2013 |
Mat Joubert has a lot of troubles. The mid-30's Capetown police captain has been a widower for two years, following the on-duty murder of his undercover police wife - and he still has difficulties dealing with the void in his life. Mat has a new boss who makes it clear that he wants a fit team, and before he knows it Mat has visits scheduled with a physician, dietician and psychologist. His good friend Benny has problems with the bottle and Mat questions his own manhood since he has been out of practice ever since......Then there is the serial killer on the loose using a rather distinctive handgun more than 100 years old. Is this random, or is there a tie that unites all the victims. Oh, and there's the bank robber with all the odd disguises. As you might imagine the story is fast paced and continues to switch between Mat's job and his personal issues - but both are deliciously intertwined. This is Deon Meyer's first book, written in the late 1990's. It is a stand-alone of sorts since there isn't a Joubert #2 but other characters such as Benny reappear in future books. I'm a big fan of Meyer and I had the impression that his first books weren't quite as good as the current ones, but in my book (pun) if there are quality differences, they are small. I thought the ending of this one could have been a bit better and a tad less obvious but I still rated this 4.5 stars. My biggest disappointment is nothaving another Mat book. ( )
  maneekuhi | Nov 12, 2012 |
captain marcus joubert, large Africaaner. very enjoyable read. ( )
  magentaflake | Sep 21, 2012 |

Deon Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
van Biljon, MadeleineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tutta la vita è morte

—Giuseppe Verdi
He grimaced in the dark but he didn't realize it.
In the afternoon hush of the last day of the year, Mat Joubert thought about death. (Chapter I.)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316018694, Mass Market Paperback)

This brilliantly atmospheric new suspense novel from a rising South African thriller writer--the acclaimed author of "Heart of the Hunter" and "Dead at Daybreak"--revolves around a Cape Town detective racing to solve a terrifying series of murders.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

In the wake of a series of murders by a killer who has been using a century-old German handgun, Cape Town police captain Mat Joubert struggles with personal demons while trying to identify a link between the three victims.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,356,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible