Letters to Kurt by Eric Erlandson

Letters to Kurt

by Eric Erlandson

41None283,685 (2.46)5
2012 (3) addiction (1) art (1) California (1) culture (1) dating (1) drugs (1) Early Reviewers (7) ER (2) experimental (1) family (1) first person (1) friendship (1) government (1) jealousy (1) letters (1) love (1) media (1) music (9) non-fiction (6) owned (1) poetry (6) prose (2) prostitution (1) psychology (1) religion (1) sex (1) signed (1) suicide (3) to-read (2)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I must have misread the synopsis when I chose this in the early reviewers list. I started reading it soon after I received it and put it down quite quickly because I felt a bad review coming on. I've picked it up again because it ended up in the donation pile and yes, time didn't heal those earlier wounds. I could also be biased having grown up in the "Grunge" era and enjoying the music, but as a child of former addicts, never got into the martyrdom over Kurt Cobain. Try it if Nirvana was your favorite band of all time, but if not, Patty Smith's latest book is a much better find.
  mtbcranker645 | Mar 17, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought it was magical that I got the email that I'd won an Early Reviewer copy of this right before I went to see Hit So Hard (which I found very intense and good). Unfortunately, I found this disappointing and cliched (at least Courtney isn't the only member of Hole whose current work has let me down - the genius must have been in their collaboration). I'm not into much poetry but this was the most intolerable I've read, I gave up about halfway through. ( )
  storytellerslie | Jul 15, 2013 |
Great read. ( )
  sixteendays | May 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Letters to Kurt is not a bad effort--it's just not particularly great. Erlandson admits to once being the lover of Nirvana's Kurt Cobain future wife Courtney Love and it seems as if he feels some distance from the now departed songwriter. Whether or not it's the sense of coming in second in that competition his former liaison does seem to inform this work. I agree that some of these prose poems are kind of uneven. He can't quite seem to love or altogether hate his rival and that doesn't lift the book to greater heights. ( )
  lriley | Nov 21, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not all ramblings are poetry which can often be more thereputic to the writer than interesting to the reader. I have and read several books on Kurt Cobain and while there is the Nirvana/Hole connection some of the writings are a bland OK but most are not worth the effort to analyize the thought process. Perhaps it's just the punk setting or the adolesence of the writer. I'm not seeing too many positive reviews. ( )
  realbigcat | Nov 18, 2012 |

"An anguished, angry, and tender meditation on the octane and ether of rock and roll and its many moons: sex, drugs, suicide, fame, and rage."--Jacket.

Akashic Books

An edition of this book was published by Akashic Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Letters to Kurt by Eric Erlandson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible