Healing Unplugged: Conversations and…

by Bill Johnson, Randy Clark

Member:WellingtonWomble
Title:Healing Unplugged: Conversations and Insights from Two Veteran Healing Leaders
Authors:Bill Johnson
Other authors:Randy Clark
Info:Chosen Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Christian Faith, Spirituality, & Theology
Tags:Christian charismatic healing, healing ministry, John Wimber, Vineyard, miracles, revival, church renewal

Healing Unplugged: Conversations and Insights from Two Veteran Healing Leaders by Bill Johnson

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Most people studying healing ministry wants books that are laid out topically, have an index, and preferably a checklist of things to do.

This book fails in all of the above, but succeeds in being a very insightful discussion of charismatic Christian healing ministry. The authors share their experiences and insights in healing ministries in a series of interviews with each other and, in these conversations, one slowly begins to grasp that healing is not a technique or check list of things to do but a relationship with the Great Physician that is shared with those who require healing. As the conversations make clear, healing must happen on God's time and in God's way; our task is to be attentive to what God is doing or wants to do and declare it.

I will caution readers that some of the healings described in this book defy belief, and your level of trust in the testimony of the authors - and subsequently your trust in God - will determine whether you learn anything from reading it. If you have trouble believing the stories of healing and resurrection in the bible, you will have trouble reading this. But if you believe that "with God, all things are possible", this will challenge your current level of expectation of God's healing power and take it to new heights.

The book assumes that you have studied and practiced charismatic Christian healing and hence is not recommended for novices. Rather than underpin the text with scripture, the authors assume you already have that foundation and hence do not use scriptural references, which will be an issue for some prospective readers. Those critical of charismatic "revivals" like the Vineyard or the Toronto Blessing will find the book difficult and controversial - possibly heretical as well. Others will object to the use of personal experience over theological/scientific argument with references. - despite such being the usual means of sharing the gospel with non-believers. The book does pose a danger if put in the hands of people who wish to gain fame and fortune in a healing ministry and care little for the people they minister to; likewise to those who do not "test the spirits", don't seek prayerful discernment with others not intimately involved in their ministry, or who are not willing to be held accountable for their actions to a local church or denomination.

But for those who want to be astonished and encouraged in ministry by stories that reveal the desire of the Lord to heal our diseases and injuries, this is highly recommended. ( )
  WellingtonWomble | Nov 21, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The authors had much to say on their experiences of healing -- that is thought provoking and challenging. Having said that, it was also a book that was difficult to engage with and become submersed in. ( )
  bnelson520 | Oct 20, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to say I didn't like this book. It did not add anything to my admittedly limited knowledge of healing, but I don't think it would even help beginners. It came across as self-congratulatory, whether or not that was the intent. If you are interested in learning about Christian healing, there are many other, much better books out there. Try Francis MacNutt for one. ( )
  BookBlogMuse | Jul 11, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I just could not get through this book. I am physically disabled, and I found this to be another "feel good", "if you just believed God" type of books. If they were healing as they wrote, entire areas would be Christian & healthy. I think they may believe what they say, but I see no evidence that man does not suffer for Christ; in other words they say all pain is bad & God wants you happy & healthy, but I see no reason for this. Cannot recommend this book, especially for one who suffers. ( )
  SirThomasPC | Jul 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Often a review seems to say more about the reviewer than the item being reviewed. This may be the case in my review.
First of all, I should admit that I do not own a TV. That means I suppose that I am not exposed to much of the "Christian Broadcasting" phenomena. I do read Christianity Today , and Charisma magazines from time to time. BUT... when this book came available for review, I have to admit that the names of the authors did not "ring a bell" except in a very remote way. When I read that Randy Clark "is best known for helping spark the move of God now affectionately labelled 'the Toronto Blessing'" it did more to raise warning flags than a stamp of approval. As the book goes on and the authors continue to drop names of others in the healing movement, I become less and less impressed. They do not mean anything to me. I did recognize a few names. Mentioning that John Wimber had a vision of Bill Johnson moving into a healing ministry, might have been of value, but in the end comes to mean little.
Perhaps the most damaging "association" comes toward the end of the book when they mention the great influence of the Evangelist William Branham. I don't want to contradict their claim as to his humility and love of the Lord, and effectiveness, but going only on the claims of the Branhamites and their practices or beliefs, I would on that basis alone question the rest of the claims made in this book.
The most glaring problems are in part addressed by the authors when they try to convince the reader, that their approach to "faith" and healings are NOT like the New Age visualizations or psychic phenomena. But most of the testimonies suggest that they are. They make mention of feathers falling from "inside" a building as though this is a "miraculous" or special "sign".
Scripture is quoted maybe twice and not to do with healing. Their references to "power" and "breakthroughs" and "realms of healings" have NO basis whatsoever with Scripture. Their reliance on "a word" or a "declaration" that God is specializing in a particular condition on a specific night contradicts everything we read in Scripture. Not once is there a Biblical example of a disciple or apostle "healing" according to the method these men magnify throughout the book.

When I received my copy of the book it came in an envelope from Bethany House Publishers. I can not imagine Bethany publishing or endorsing such a book. It carries a Chosen Books imprint, and that would more readily explain the content. And this in turn is published under the Baker Publishing Group, which has a much wider mandate than Bethany ever did when it was part of the Bethany school.

I could only recommend this book as a resource item for critical review to see how very subjective and self approving these men are, and their approach to healing, which seems to be receiving the uncritical endorsement of many who are known in the "healing ministry". Francis MacNutt, one author whose name I do recognize says "I heartily endorse this book."
I don't want to question the sincerity of these men, or their love for the Lord, or their being led of the Holy Spirit. Nor do I question the fact that many are being healed. I will hold some reservation though as to what follow up might show about some of the healings. And I will stick with the conviction that there is little Biblical support for the practices as outlined here.
As a teenager I read a book called "How to increase your psychic power". This "testimony" sounds too familiar. As a teenager I also "mastered the art" of hypnosis and successfully gave post hypnotic suggestions that my "subject " then acted out, without their knowing they were doing so. Perhaps these experiences in my past, and my strong insistence that we come to Scripture for our example of ministry, makes me the cynic and skeptic that this review would reveal me to be. But having thus taken a tack that I suspect few will take, I do invite readers to look at "both sides now".
1 vote misterehmuseseh | Apr 25, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080079527X, Paperback)

Premier Healing Ministers Reveal Behind-the-Scenes Stories of Their Surprising Journeys

Bill Johnson, pastor of Bethel Church in Redding, California, and Randy Clark, founder of Global Awakening, are known worldwide as the eminent leaders of successful healing ministry. They witness the miraculous regularly and see thousands touched powerfully by God. Yet it wasn't always so.

For the first time, these close friends and esteemed leaders share their personal journeys behind life in the healing spotlight. In candid interviews with one another, they reveal how and why they first got into healing ministry; the breakthrough experiences that propelled them; the lessons that helped them grow over the years; how they learned--through trial and error--to see what the Father is doing in each situation; and the most amazing miracles they've seen.

Inspiring, informative, unique, and vulnerable, this once-in-a-lifetime book contains material not previously taught on or talked about by either leader. Including specialized, detailed insights about healing, Bill and Randy give a rare and fascinating glimpse into the startup, failures, and successes of a life devoted to healing prayer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:30 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Healing Unplugged by Bill Johnson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,287,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible