A Winter Kill by Vicki Delany

A Winter Kill (2012)

by Vicki Delany

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A WINTER KILL by Vicki Delany is, as advertised, a "rapid read." It took me about twenty minutes. I was really interested to see whether a book written in this fashion (short sentences, limited vocabulary, novella-length) could provide a captivating mystery, and I'm delighted to report that it can. These books are designed for adults, but written at a grade level similar to the chapter books I read aloud to my five-year-old. Delany takes a complicated mystery, a rookie cop, and a host of witnesses and weaves it into an interesting tale. Highly recommended for reluctant readers, ESL learners, readers with literacy challenges, high school age and adult. ( )
  noranydrop2read | Jun 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm a bit torn about this book. I thought it was a pretty good story as far as mysteries go. It had a surprise (if abrupt) ending and I enjoyed that. However the writing style was more for a young person and although there's nothing wrong with that, I found the theme to be a bit mature for the book to be considered YA. Perhaps the writing style is what fits with a 'rapid reads' book, ergo the short, clipped and very simple sentences. True to its promise of being a quick read, I zipped through it in just over an hour.

I liked it but I'm just a little confused about who its audience is supposed to be.

ETA: I heard from the author, Vicki Delany, regarding my confusion about the target audience for this book. She clarifies that the book is intended for adults with reading skills at the grade 2 to 3 level or adults whose mother tongue is not English. ( )
  Myckyee | May 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Rookie police constable Nicole Patterson has only been on the job for about 6 months and most of the crime in the rural area outside Toronto where she works is predictable. Petty theft, bar fights, domestic disputes. But murder is another matter.

On patrol, she finds the body of a young woman in the snow, strangled to death by her scarf. She turns out to be a local high school student, known by sight to Patterson, who is a local girl, returned home after college. And while Patterson is far from being a detective who would investigate a crime like this, her local knowledge may prove invaluable..especially after it is found the murdered girl was four months pregnant.

This is a nice little read, with a good plot, an interesting main character in Patterson and well written. ell, enough written that I will investigating other books Delany, including her Klondike Mystery series, her Constable Molly Smith series and a number of standalones. But the key to this book is little, weighing in at just over 100 pages, and a big fonted 100 pages at that. Actually this is much more a story story than a novel. But with this series, Orca/Raven's Rapid Reads, that is the point.

"Orca Book Publishers is excited to introduce Rapid Reads, a line of short novels and non-fiction books for adult readers. In our increasingly fast-paced world we believe there is a need for well-written, well-told books that can be read in one sitting. Rapid Reads are intended for a diverse audience, including ESL students, reluctant readers, adults who struggle with literacy and anyone who wants an high-interest quick read.

Rapid Reads focus first and foremost on strong writing and storytelling. We are committed to providing books that will help adults achieve their literacy goals in an interesting and accessible way. Each novel in the Rapid Reads series is written between a 2.0 and 4.5 reading level. The plots are contemporary and entertaining, with adult language and themes."

Personally, I think it is a great idea. The story, the language, makes it a book for adults. There are topics introduced in this short volume, like teen pregnancy, growing up in a dysfunctional home, what a hostile place high school can be, that adults will find interesting. And it is really remarkable that it can be done so well it what is really just a short story.

Yet for someone who has literacy issues, someone that does not have English as their first language, as the publisher says "reluctant readers", this series of about 20 books, by a variety of authors, might be just the thing. The writing style is simple and direct, yet not obviously so. It might get those potential readers started in the idea of actually enjoying reading books and give a real sense of accomplishment at finishing a book. The fact that they are reading real books, with adult stories, not books written for kids, would make a huge difference. I am a big fan of the idea.

That being said, I have one major issue with this book.
The price.At $9.95 for such a short, little paperback, I really think that is outrageous and can not but work to discourage the target audience.

Which is a great shame.
Still, an entertaining book, in a series based on a good idea. ( )
  caitemaire | May 14, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an Library Thing Early Reviewer. This is the second Rapid Reads book that I have read (Rick Blecha's "Orchestrated Murder" is the other one). I enjoyed both of them, this one more than the Blecha one. It is definitely a rapid read as I was able to finish it in an hour or so.

A young rookie police constable Nicole Patterson finds the body of a local teen with a bad reputation. The girl's father is the immediate suspect in the minds of Nicole's boss, but she does not agree with this. She conducts her own informal investigation and because of her efforts the identity of the real murderer is uncovered.

Nicole would make a good protagonist in a full length police procedural. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | May 1, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Did not realize that this was a 'rapid reads' book. I'm sure it's wonderful, but I want to hold out for the regular edition before reading.
  Yllom | Apr 21, 2012 |
Sometimes you just can't tell. When they're dead. they don't have to even look dead. Not really. More like they're sleeping.

When young and inexperienced constable Nicole Patterson discovers the body of a young woman in a snow-covered field, she decides to do what she can to contribute to the investigation, even though she is unauthorized and underqualified.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Winter Kill by Vicki Delany was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,273,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible