The Woman at the Light: A Novel by Joanna…

The Woman at the Light: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Joanna Brady

Member:ciridan
Title:The Woman at the Light: A Novel
Authors:Joanna Brady
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***

The Woman at the Light by Joanna Brady

An interesting and easy to read historical fiction novel. I've always liked the idea of living on an island in a survival type situation. Colorful character descriptions and wonderful love story. I began to get a bit disappointed at the end of the book as the main character was basically left with the impression of a very modern liberal woman. Her black lover (not all that unusual in this era), her kinky sex with one of her husbands, smoking marijuana, and her quick acceptance of her gay son and his lover seemed a bit out of place for that time. It was as though the author was trying to interject her own liberal beliefs in this 1800's historical woman, thus taking some of the romance out of the story. The ending also had a feeling of abruptness. ( )
  tippygirl | Nov 13, 2013 |
{ I won this as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. }

Great historical fiction with just the right amount of romance. I really enjoyed the 1800s Key West setting - Brady made me feel like I was there. We follow Emily throughout a good portion of her life as she deals with the loss of her husband, raising her children, a new romance, staggering losses and good fortune. There are some twists along Emily's path, and while some seemed just a little far-fetched, it was still overall a fantastic novel, one which I would definitely recommend to other historical fiction lovers. ( )
  PidginPea | Feb 2, 2013 |
I love the fact that this author was inspired by the lady lighthouse keepers in the early and mid 1800's and that she uses two of them in this novel. So much I didn't know and loved reading about such as the history of Key West, the cigar plantations and factories, the wreckers who resented the lighthouses because they lived off of these wrecks. Judges actually adjudicated the gains from these wrecks. Emily is a very strong woman, yet naive at the same time, but this story covers so much of her life and believe me she had a very full one. This novel really had so many things going on, from Indian attacks to death, hurricanes, slavery and a very unusual relationship for the period. It is all handled very well and my only disappointment was that things just seemed to be a little to pat at the end. I loved the title of this book and appreciate the authors afterward because she tells us who in the story was a real person and who was inserted just for the story. ( )
  Beamis12 | Jul 10, 2012 |
I love lighthouses, so when I found out this book was about lighthouses I grabbed the chance to read it. The main concept of the story is the disappearance of Emily Lowry's husband Martin. He leaves one day to go out to sea and just does not return. Emily hopes against hope that he will return, but as time goes by, the likely hood of that happening grows slim. Emily is left with three children and one on the way and is also responsible for the maintenance of the lighthouse and seeing that it is lit every night. If this is not done, ships could wreck upon the coral reefs that abound in the area.
After the appearance of a runaway slave, Andrew, the lives of Emily and her children change irrevocably. Because of the morals of the time she decides that when someone comes ashore she must hide Andrew. Life is more bearable with Andrew around to help her with the light and other work needed around the island. She and her children become quite attached to Andrew, but life changes again for Emily when a hurricane threatens her life, the children and Andrew. But still in the background is the issue of Martin. What happened to him? Is he still alive??
I loved the characters, especially Emily, a strong willed and capable woman who must do what she can to protect those she loves. A totally readable story, rich with the history of Key West and surrounding islands in a time that is full of conflicting feelings toward slavery. The history of the shipwrecks and the salvaging of these wrecks is also a part of the story. There is definitely an element of romance, along with loss and family devotion and love. I highly recommend this novel.
I give it 5 stars... ( )
  celticlady53 | Jul 3, 2012 |
Emily Lowry and her family tend to an isolated lighthouse off the coast of Key West. When her husband mysteriously vanishes, Emily decides to take over his duties. Once discovering that she is pregnant, she is determined to hide her condition and maintain her job. When a runaway slave washes up on the beach, Emily is at first wary, then accepting of his offer to help. Soon she finds herself relying on Andrew and slowly falling in love with him. When they are separated due to a hurricane, she is devastated, believing Andrew and her baby daughter were lost.

I thought this was an extremely interesting book. It showed me life in the 1840's, the prejudices of the time and the development of Key West. It was very well written and the characters were interesting and engaging. The plot moved at a nice pace and characters were well developed. Overall, this was a great book, one I highly recommend. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Jun 22, 2012 |

One afternoon in 1839, Emily Lowry’s husband vanishes from Wreckers’ Cay, an isolated island off the coast of Key West where he tends to the lighthouse. As days stretch into months, Emily has no choice but take charge of Wrecker’s Cay and her husband’s duties tending the light to support her three children—and a fourth on the way. Unexpected help arrives when a runaway slave named Andrew washes up on their beach. At first, Emily is intensely wary of this strange, charming man, whose very presence there is highly illegal. But Andrew proves himself an enormous help and soon wins the hearts of the Lowry family. And—far from the outside world and society’s rules—his place in Emily’s life, as steadfast now as the light, will forever change their futures. When Emily’s family is ripped apart once again, she faces untold hardships that test her love and determination and show how the passionate love of a defiant, determined woman can overcome any obstacle.

"One afternoon in 1839, Emily Lowry's husband vanishes from Wreckers' Cay, an isolated island off the coast of Key West where he tends to the lighthouse. As days stretch into months, Emily has no choice but take charge of Wrecker's Cay and her husband's duties tending the light to support her three children-and a fourth on the way. Unexpected help arrives when a runaway slave named Andrew washes up on their beach. At first, Emily is intensely wary of this strange, charming man, whose very presence there is highly illegal. But Andrew proves himself an enormous help and soon wins the hearts of the Lowry family. And-far from the outside world and society's rules-his place in Emily's life, as steadfast now as the light, will forever change their futures. When Emily's family is ripped apart once again, she faces untold hardships that test her love and determination and show how the passionate love of a defiant, determined woman can overcome any obstacle."--Dust jacket.… (more)

23 wanted1 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Woman At The Light by Joanna Brady was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible