In the bag by Kate Klise

In the bag (edition 2012)

by Kate Klise

62None190,481 (3.39)1
Member:Rachel31
Title:In the bag
Authors:Kate Klise
Info:New York : HarperCollins US, 2012.
Rating:**

In The Bag by Kate Klise

I like a good romantic comedy, and this one was fine, but not overly interesting, That it took me three weeks to finish is telling. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It was a little too young for me once I started reading it, so I really just skimmed. But the plot is cute. ( )
  monkeyreader | Nov 13, 2012 |
Cute novel that would be perfect for the beach or pool with the alternating four points of view and short chapters. Even reading it post-Labor Day was fun. A mixed up LL Bean duffel bag from the Paris luggage carousel turns two single parents European trips (with their respective teens) into a fun, breezy romance. Because of their alternating viewpoints, it's easy to pick up the track of the story even if you put it down. ( )
  ethel55 | Sep 11, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Light, cute story poking fun at the difference between teen romance and adult romance in the digital age and how each generation communicates, or, rather, fails to communicate with their own generation and the other. The teenagers are suitably self-absorbed and the adults struggle with their figurative "baggage" as they navigate Paris, Madrid, and Barcelona in a crazy jumble of coincidences. The story has a fun European vacation atmosphere that causes characters to do things they might not normally do. Enjoyable summer read. ( )
  bookappeal | Jul 31, 2012 |
This is Kate Klise’s first endeavor into the world of adult fiction…which due to the story itself, could easily be housed in the land of Young Adult without feeling like a wolf among sheep. In this story, we have a case of mistaken identity…of a case…a written note that was met with a heart full of skepticism despite its true intentions…and the mission of one bag to change the fate of four people for better or worse. It’s the actions of those that found and lost said bag that get things rolling, but fate seems to have a big hand in it all as well. It’s hilarious, it’s touching, it’s sweet, it’s not to be missed….which of course you’ve heard all before, but trust me, it applies.

Fans of her children’s fiction will not be disappointed as her popular style of storytelling is not completely erased despite the older audience aimed for. The appearance of correspondence throughout the book from the handwritten note to the emails that fly back and forth between Coco and Webb work wonders to put you right there in the story while giving it that air of familiarity that can’t be denied. Another deja vue moment? The included illustrations when day turns to night. The images depicted give readers a glimpse of what’s forthcoming in the next few chapters, but only enough to peek your interest while not spoiling the fun. I know, I know…pictures in an ADULT fiction book, and yet…it works REALLY well. Now on to the characters…

Daisy and Andrew are the slightly jaded adults just trying to make their way through another trip abroad. Daisy is there for pleasure with her daughter Coco; Andrew is there for work with his son Webb. All work and no play makes for one stressed out papa, but the same can be said about all play when a work opportunity that will also help out a friend is staring you in the face. Let’s just say they’d be a match made in heaven if their paths would only cross…and cross they do but they end up more crossed than anything else. It’s rather funny and a great example of how one should not assume what another means nor what their intentions are….just ask them to speak their mind already! SO much confusion could be afforded. Now on to the teens…

Coco is just graduating high school with college right around the corner, a good girl (too good at times according to Mom) and smart as a whip….Webb is right along the same paths as well, though his Dad wishes he would become technology challenged for a while at least and enjoy the European landscape. Their chance email encounter due to the bag switcheroo is entertaining to say the least…especially when they are trying to sort out if they each are who they say they are. Never has a case of “mistaken identity” been captured so fully and full of life as this….well, that I’ve seen so far at least.

Plans are made, dates are set and gasp! They agree to meet, swap bags, and maybe numbers if all goes well….but as this one is more contemporary fiction, it is given free reign to have things go wrong that can go wrong. It mostly boils down to a lack of communication…which again is pretty ironic since that’s what they were doing this whole time…and bottled up feelings, but it translates to a story you won’t be able to put down. The pages fly by and before you know it, you’ve reached the end….and although its not the one you thought you were speeding towards, it’s perfect just the same.

A great summer reading pick for young adult readers and beyond! If you enjoy a fast flowing story of mishaps, chance encounters, potential connections missed and gained, as well as time spent in a foreign land, this one is most certainly for you. There are moments that are smile inducing, moments of frustration, kindness shown and forgiveness given…but mostly there are the moments we stumble and share through a life well lived that lead us down those often unexpected but truly worthwhile paths that memories are made of. A grand adventure you won’t be able to put down that celebrates the value of the written word...

*review copy received in exchange for my honest review ( )
  GRgenius | Jun 20, 2012 |
Oh, God.

A European vacation. A luggage mix-up. A note from a secret admirer.

Meet two single parents who think they're too busy to date.
And two teenagers who can't stop writing flirty emails.
This is a tale of connections—missed and made—in a universe that seems to have its heart set on reuniting Ms. 6B and Mr. 13C.

Webb
I can't believe I picked up the wrong bag at the airport. My dad is never going to let me hear the end of it.

Coco
I don't understand why Mom told me to pack my worst underwear. And now I've lost my bag? Ack!

Andrew
I cannot stop thinking about that woman in seat 6B on the flight to Paris.

Daisy
I don't have time to worry about the creep sitting in 13C who slipped a note in my purse. I have to find my daughter's missing bag before this ruins our vacation.

In the Bag is a smart and stylish story that explores the old-fashioned art of romance in a modern world, where falling in love can be as risky as checking a bag on an international flight. Buckle your seat belt—it's going to be a bumpy vacation!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:45 -0400)

"A European vacation. A luggage mix-up. A note from a secret admirer. Meet two single parents who think they're too busy to date. And two teenagers who can't stop writing flirty emails. This is a tale of connections, missed and made, in a universe that seems to have its heart set on reuniting Ms. 6B and Mr. 13C." -- Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

In the Bag by Kate Klise was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible