Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3) by…

Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3) (edition 2013)

by Beth Revis

Member:SusieBookworm
Title:Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3)
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2013), Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:sci-fi, read it

Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Pre-reading:

I can't frexing wait for this to come out. Oh my. Can the time be fast-forwarded? Okay. Is that even a word? Anyway, please. please. Don't prolong the agony. Fire Away. I'm so much excited for this.

02/05/14

Wow. Can I give this book a hundred stars? No. Maybe not. Because I think that this book deserves even more.

When I started reading this, I didn't think that I'm signing up for a book that will do all those crazy things to my heart. I felt everything. I felt their pain, loss, suffering, fear, and desperation. I cried, even. There's actually goosebumps everywhere. I ship Amy and Elder together.

Elder is a great male lead actually. He isn't that devastatingly, drop-dead gorgeous that we are kind of used to but you'll love him.

The ending was how I expected it to be. I admit it's a bit cheesy but I don't really care. I was so devastated when the explosion happen. I am so happy at the end.

I love this series. I really hate saying goodbye to a series I learned to love. I recommend it to everyone. READ THIS. READ THIS. READ THIS. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Pre-reading:

02/05/14

margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Nice ending, just such a shame the first book in the serie's was so slow. ( )
  Lorune | Jul 6, 2014 |
DNF

I'm not even gonna bother to write a full and thorough review. Either I am just not in the mood for this book, or this book is actually as bad as I believe it to be, but either way, I'll probably attempt to finish this when I have absolutely no books to read and I have nothing better to do.

Although I was crazy about the first one and second book, this book did not satify me. It draaaaaaaged to the point of utmost boredom, and I was making excuses just so I would not read this book. I mean, when I would rather do my homework than read this book, that's a pretty bad sign in and of itself.

Amy was a pain in the ass. I disliked her very much. But I liked Elder, who seemed to be the only one that actually had a brain.

Summary: NO ME GUSTA. ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
"Elder is a teenage boy. He doesn't hate anything with breasts."
~Colonel Robert Martin

(My opinion the best line EVER to explain the Elder/Amy relationship.)

Shades of Earth is the final part in the Across the Universe trilogy. It's a simple tale: Half of the people on Godspeed, Amy and Elder included, have landed on Centauri Earth. But their new home world isn't all it's cracked up to be. There are huge and predatory pterotactyls that will attack quickly, beautiful purple moss that, when it rains, bloom into a flower that releases a powerful neurotoxin and aliens that have solar powered indestructible glass that can be manipulated into weapons.

Not to mention, food is getting scarce, the distrust between the Sol Earth personnel and the Godspeed crew grows, and a wrench, by the name of Chris Smith, disrupts the tenuous relationship between Elder and Amy. And, it looks like Orion might just have one more clue to help the inhabitants of Centauri Earth to make it home.

Oh, how I didn't really like this book. I mean, a lot more characters died in Shades but they didn't really matter. They seem to be a waste of space and not really integral to the plot or else why would Revis have killed them in one foul swoop? Amy Martin is not a good character at all. She was very whiny and, as much as Revis try to make her a capable leader, I didn't buy.

SPOILER ALERT:
Honestly, she should have died when she became a hybrid. At first, she didn't want the biological weapon to detonate and kill the hybrids. Then when the s...t hit the fan, she was all for that weapon...until she was injected with hybrid formula. Then, it was like oh wait, don't. I don't want to die.

Really? A few seconds ago you were okay with killing a few hundred hybrids to save your people....

Until you became one of the few hundred hybrids and your people didn't matter...

Elder was his petulant and scowling self but he has always been able to see the bigger picture and actually will do anything to save his people.

ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT:
I hated Elder's death fake-out!!!!! If Revis is going to have the ending of her book be so happy with the peace agreement, there needs to be powerful loss that is going to resonate and generate sympathy for Amy. Elder's death would have mattered like that since he was the only person she cared about it. I mean, she lost her parents to very violent deaths but none of that matter except Elder. Then Revis revealed him to be alive at the end and sappiness prevailed.

I felt like this whole series could have been better. Oh well, at least I enjoyed one third of the trilogy. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |

Leaving the walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind, Amy and Elder are ready to build a home on Centauri-Earth. But they must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,094,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible