Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3) by…

Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3) (edition 2013)

by Beth Revis

Member:SusieBookworm
Title:Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3)
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2013), Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:sci-fi, read it

Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

A mostly satisfying conclusion to the Across the Universe series. The ending was cheesy, but I liked it. Don't judge me for liking a happy ending the best.

Amy, Elder, and half of the population have left Godspeed to form a new colony on Centauri-Earth. The new planet is dangerous and isn't the world Amy hoped it would be, even with her parents unthawed along with the rest of the team from Earth. And quickly find they aren't alone and must pull together, shipbornes and earthbornes, to survive.

The dynamics of the series change with the new setting. We get far less of Elder and more about Amy, her relationship with her parents, and her survival on the planet. Even Elder's thoughts were mostly about her. I felt book 2 was more of a focus on Elder, and this book evens things out by having more of a focus on Amy. The one thing I would have liked was a epilogue set in the future to let us know how the colony survived, because I like to tie a bow on things.

I'm glad I checked out this series from the library without knowing anything about it. It is a good addition to the ever-growing young adult dystopian fiction world with the added bonus of being set in space. 3 stars. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
It was great, but it could have been better. There were many twists that I didn't expect, but some of the explanations just weren't enough for me. I felt like we should have ended with book two, but it wasn't tied in a neat bow so the story had to go on. I'm not saying that she didn't do a great job, but I would have liked the story to be a little different. I would have liked to have a bit more character development too. The world building is not as phenomenal in this book as the previous two. ( )
  manka23 | Oct 2, 2014 |
That was just one of the most amazing series I have read so far !
I'm so glad I read this for booktubeathon :D
  lisa.isselee | Sep 26, 2014 |
I felt this was the strongest of the trilogy. So nice to wrap it up in a great way. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Pre-reading:

I can't frexing wait for this to come out. Oh my. Can the time be fast-forwarded? Okay. Is that even a word? Anyway, please. please. Don't prolong the agony. Fire Away. I'm so much excited for this.

02/05/14

Wow. Can I give this book a hundred stars? No. Maybe not. Because I think that this book deserves even more.

When I started reading this, I didn't think that I'm signing up for a book that will do all those crazy things to my heart. I felt everything. I felt their pain, loss, suffering, fear, and desperation. I cried, even. There's actually goosebumps everywhere. I ship Amy and Elder together.

Elder is a great male lead actually. He isn't that devastatingly, drop-dead gorgeous that we are kind of used to but you'll love him.

The ending was how I expected it to be. I admit it's a bit cheesy but I don't really care. I was so devastated when the explosion happen. I am so happy at the end.

I love this series. I really hate saying goodbye to a series I learned to love. I recommend it to everyone. READ THIS. READ THIS. READ THIS. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

Leaving the walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind, Amy and Elder are ready to build a home on Centauri-Earth. But they must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,343,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible