Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3) by…

Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3) (edition 2013)

by Beth Revis

Title:Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3)
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2013), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:sci-fi, read it

Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

English (51)  Danish (1)  All languages (52)
An excellent end to the trilogy that began with Across the Universe. Starting up right where book two left off, on a cliffhanger, the action continues quite speedily. I don't want to spoil book two for anyone, but I figure anyone reading this has either already read A Million Suns or is not planning to. They've reached Centauri Earth, and once they manage to land, they're in for lots of surprises as to what really is on the supposedly empty planet they've come to colonize. I just love these books for the action and romance and the "what's out there?" suspense. There's a bit of a mystery involved in this one, and several new characters are introduced when the "frozens" are awakened. There was some interesting tensions between Earthborn and shipborn colonists. Just a really good yarn, this book, and I enjoyed it a lot. ( )
  GoldieBug | Sep 19, 2015 |
The Good: Shades of Earth was the absolute perfect ending to this series. So much action. So many unexpected twists. So much emotion I could barely contain myself. Every single question I had was answered fully. I could not have asked for a better book to finish out this amazing world. Everyone experiencing life on land for the first time. The wildness and unknown. An entire hidden past that changes everything. This is how you end a trilogy.

The Bad: Not a thing. ( )
  TequilaReader | Sep 9, 2015 |
This was an excellent conclusion to an an absolutely spectacular young adult science fiction series. I really enjoyed this conclusion and this series as a whole.

Amy and Elder are finally leading those people willing to leave the Godspeed to their new home planet. The threat of exactly what type of monster the leaders of Godspeed were staying on Godspeed to avoid hangs over those traveling to the new planet. Added to that threat is the threat of those who have been frozen on Godspeed. When they land on the new planet it’s time to unfreeze all the people who have been sleeping for hundreds of years and that brings threats and complications of its own.

This is an exciting book because we finally get to see this new and awesome planet with our own eyes. However some of that wonder is crushed by all the problems the ex-Godspeed inhabitants end up facing.

It was fun to get to meet and know Amy’s parents; they are unfrozen shortly after landing. As expected there are issues between the Godspeed residents, who are genetically engineering to all look the same, and the original Earth inhabitants. The original Earth residents don’t feel like the Godspeed residents are real people. Because of these issues the group ends up somewhat torn between two factions. The Godspeed residents who are lead by Elder and the Earth residents who are lead by Amy’s father.

As you can imagine the above puts a lot of stress on Amy and Elder’s relationship. To add to this is the introduction of another character named Chris, who is a solider that it Amy’s age. Chris is somewhat infatuated with Amy and is causing more tension between Amy and Elder.

Most of the story is a thiller/mystery. The characters are desperately trying to unravel the mysteries of this new planet, while dodging dangers both unknown and unseen.

The only thing I found disappointing about this story was the predictability. The first two novels in this series just floored me with some of the twists and turns. This novel wasn’t like that. Chris has a big secret which I figured out pretty much right away. The mystery of who/what the threat on this new planet is was also very easy to predict. So while this was a very entertaining and engaging read; it wasn’t as awe-inspiring as the first two books in the series.

I also felt like things were a bit rushed at the end. I would have liked a little bit more closure and maybe a glimpse into the future to see how events played out.

Overall this was an awesome and engaging young adult science fiction novel. I really really loved the first two books in this series and I did think this book was more predictable and less gripping than the first two books. I also thought the ending was a bit rushed. However, despite that this was still an incredibly engaging story with awesome characters. I really loved it and would recommend to science fiction fans. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 16, 2015 |
A mostly satisfying conclusion to the Across the Universe series. The ending was cheesy, but I liked it. Don't judge me for liking a happy ending the best.

Amy, Elder, and half of the population have left Godspeed to form a new colony on Centauri-Earth. The new planet is dangerous and isn't the world Amy hoped it would be, even with her parents unthawed along with the rest of the team from Earth. And quickly find they aren't alone and must pull together, shipbornes and earthbornes, to survive.

The dynamics of the series change with the new setting. We get far less of Elder and more about Amy, her relationship with her parents, and her survival on the planet. Even Elder's thoughts were mostly about her. I felt book 2 was more of a focus on Elder, and this book evens things out by having more of a focus on Amy. The one thing I would have liked was a epilogue set in the future to let us know how the colony survived, because I like to tie a bow on things.

I'm glad I checked out this series from the library without knowing anything about it. It is a good addition to the ever-growing young adult dystopian fiction world with the added bonus of being set in space. 3 stars. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
It was great, but it could have been better. There were many twists that I didn't expect, but some of the explanations just weren't enough for me. I felt like we should have ended with book two, but it wasn't tied in a neat bow so the story had to go on. I'm not saying that she didn't do a great job, but I would have liked the story to be a little different. I would have liked to have a bit more character development too. The world building is not as phenomenal in this book as the previous two. ( )
  manka23 | Oct 2, 2014 |

Leaving the walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind, Amy and Elder are ready to build a home on Centauri-Earth. But they must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,889,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible