Mortal Ties by Eileen Wilks

Mortal Ties

by Eileen Wilks

Series: The World of the Lupi (9)

Cullen Seaborn, the Nokolai werewolf and sorcerer has created a prototype that could change so much for the world – helping reduce the ongoing problem of the magical turn which is so destructive for technology. Albeit with a few side effects that still need ironing out

Those side effects make it all the more important to track it down when it is stolen. Made even more of a problem when the very existence of that prototype was supposed to be a carefully kept secret only known to Nokolai loyalists.

It becomes even more complicated when the thief gets in it – and it’s Rule’s unknown half-brother with additional problem of both Robert Friar’s evil manipulations and two different factions of sidhe.

I love Lily. I don’t think I’ve stressed this enough about how utterly awesome this character is. Because above everything else she is professional and she is sensible – and my gods that is so very rare in this genre

Lily is a cop and it permeates her character. I love to see that professionalism in everything –how she looks at every scene as a crime scene, how she sums up every person as a witness or suspect. Her logical, sensible way of summing up every situation she’s in with intelligence and logic. This is, more than anything, Lily’s super power. Not her abilities, not her immunity to magic, not any kind of fighting skill – but her intelligence and her professionalism. The way she approaches every mystery and investigation with keen intellect and steady progress is so excellent. Especially in this genre where most protagonists decide to “solve” crimes by hanging around until the bad guy tries to kill them (often with no apparent reason). Lily is a dedicated and capable investigator.

I also like the conflict of her development, especially how she needs rules to ensure she doesn’t step outside the law, I like the way she recognises what she is actually capable of rather than, again, so many protagonists who are happy to decide they are the ultimate authority and don’t need any pesky rules.

She’s also a woman of deep passion who cares desperately for those around her but makes decisions without emotion. All her decisions are rational. She cares about Beth, her sister and Rule, her fiancé but she doesn’t let caring for them make ridiculous decisions. She doesn’t have massive over-dramatic reactions to things like Rule not telling her everything or them having a disagreement. When Rule is going through difficult times Lily is so perfect, she’s there for him while giving

In fact that’s something else I love about this book – the relationships between the characters is so sensible without being emotionless. Beth, Lily’s little sister, is obviously a very different woman from Lily – but their relationship was meaningful and deep, their disagreements present but handled in a sensible manner without either side doing something ridiculous or turning against each other. I love the dramatic emotional moments of Beth, the complexities of her dealing with things like killing someone, even in self defence and what that does to someone.

Lily’s relationship with her friends and colleagues doesn’t feature as massively in this book but part of that is how awesomely those characters are presented – because Cyna, Ruben, Sam etc all have their own lives, their own issues and their own battles. They’re not all their for Rule and Cullen and Lily to call upon whenever they want – because every character is so very heavily involved in the meta plot of this world

Which, again, I say is amazing and I would head this review with that because it’s awesome – but Lily is definitely one of my top 10 favourite protagonists in the genre and has to take first billing

I love this world. I love the epic, I love the building of the ever more epic conflict. I love the development of the differing factions and societies: honestly, I would gladly read a textbook on sidhe culture in this world because the development is so excellent. Including differing factions – yes differing factions and complicated politics and beings that are not so much good or evil but just alien. This is what I really like is how we realise that the Sidhe just have radically values and culture to humanity – as they should. Even with their goal being for reasons completely beyond anything Cullen and Lily had imagined because the Sidhe goals and values are society is so different from anything they knew.

Which brings me back to relationships – because so often Lily can be in opposition to someone yet still have a lot of respect for them which we see here again. She can build a rapport even with her kidnapper because she respects them and can see their point and because they’re actually characters and not just demonised evil. This applies to the odd twist of Beth’s love interest as well.

That political and cultural development also is expanded excellently with the werewolves, the different lupi packs, the different relationships between their packs and what it means for Rule to be both second in command of one pack and Alpha of a different pack as well as relationships between the

This world building continues not just from cultures and magic and also mechanics. Again, I would read an entire book of Cullen exploring the possibilities of magic and how it works. I love how they don’t have all the answers, that they do have theories and a lot of exploration and experimentation and thinking which is very real.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jan 3, 2017 |
Well, this wasn't a favorite. The first half was very drawn out due to "magical" explanations and how specific gifts/charms/spells work. It's too much info-dumping and rehashing of things that could be simplified and explained by way of action. I felt like I was reading a textbook after awhile and kept putting the book down. Once I reached 50%, things began to pick up. I don't have any complaints about the action. That was spot on and exciting as always, even if it was a little "toned-down" from the last books.

Al's ghost just about stole the spotlight. I love how his story is developing and his interaction with Lily is neat. It was great that he got to be the hero this time. Rule seemed a bit out of character in this installment, too controlled by his emotions, but it wasn't horrible. The whole Elvin delegation thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We have an overkill of "players" already in this war, but perhaps the author is planting seeds for the series to grow later.

I almost gave this book a lower rating because the primary conflict really wasn't dealt with. The way the story ended, it feels like everyone sat around the fire and said "Eh, it's not that big of a deal." Yet they were moving heaven and earth to get Cullen's stolen artifact back I read through SO MUCH explanation about how it worked and we don't even know if the bad guy has it or if the good guys are still looking for it! That made NO SENSE to me.

Anyway, I'll keep going because I'm invested in the characters and have to see/read about Rule and Lily's wedding. Maybe the next one will be another good one. These books are hit and miss. This one was on the miss side. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
The sidhe have come to muck up things and have caused an item to be stolen from Cullen so Lilly and Rule have to find that item. Along the way Rule meets Jasper, a brother he didn't know he had. Lilly does make a friend out of a halfling. Grandmother Yu also takes a big role and Drummond pops in and out.

Looking forward to the next book in the series after the preview! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Politics, Intrigue, and Murder… Oh My!

What I Liked: I’ve totally adjusted to the new voice of Rule Turner. Actually, that only took about 30 minutes of listening. :) I also really like three of the new characters: Ghost-Al Drummond, Jasper Machek, and Alycithin. I know from the preview of Ritual Magic that Al will be back; I hope we see more of Jasper and Alycithin, too.

Grandmother puts in an appearance! I love it when Grandmother is involved. I love how she bosses everyone around, too.

I also liked that the Fey have sixteen words for “enemy” and seven words for “friend.” I’d love to hear more about those definitions.

What I Didn’t Like: I’m noticing more and more that the GraphicAudio books are abridged–not because they are done poorly by any means; I think GA has adapted the books for production very well–but because I notice storylines that aren’t quite finished or a lack of details that I imagine would be in the book.

For example, in Mortal Ties, the story never comes back to Lily’s sister, Beth, whose call starts off the story. The fey describe friendships “of the third degree” and “of the fifth degree,” but the meanings are never explained in the audio. The ending scene with Al Drummond makes me think there is more about him in the books, too. So, as much as I love listening to the GA versions, I have a feeling I’m going to have to switch to the books soon, or finish the series in GA and then reread the books.

Plus the books have a glossary of characters and terms. With as wonderfully complex as Wilks’ world is getting, a glossary might be necessary!

Purchased. Review courtesy of onebooktwo.com | one book, two reviews. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Dec 18, 2015 |
More a 4.5

Excellent series!! ( )
  Fidget78 | Jan 5, 2014 |

Eileen Wilksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Long, GeorgeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauro, TonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

When the prototype of a magical device is stolen from their clan, FBI agent Lily Yu and her fiancé, lupi Rule Turner, must race against time to recover their missing property before it falls into the hands of Robert Friar, a killer, madman, and acolyte of the Old One the lupi are at war with.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,482,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible