Mortal Ties by Eileen Wilks

Well, this wasn't a favorite. The first half was very drawn out due to "magical" explanations and how specific gifts/charms/spells work. It's too much info-dumping and rehashing of things that could be simplified and explained by way of action. I felt like I was reading a textbook after awhile and kept putting the book down. Once I reached 50%, things began to pick up. I don't have any complaints about the action. That was spot on and exciting as always, even if it was a little "toned-down" from the last books.

Al's ghost just about stole the spotlight. I love how his story is developing and his interaction with Lily is neat. It was great that he got to be the hero this time. Rule seemed a bit out of character in this installment, too controlled by his emotions, but it wasn't horrible. The whole Elvin delegation thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We have an overkill of "players" already in this war, but perhaps the author is planting seeds for the series to grow later.

I almost gave this book a lower rating because the primary conflict really wasn't dealt with. The way the story ended, it feels like everyone sat around the fire and said "Eh, it's not that big of a deal." Yet they were moving heaven and earth to get Cullen's stolen artifact back I read through SO MUCH explanation about how it worked and we don't even know if the bad guy has it or if the good guys are still looking for it! That made NO SENSE to me.

Anyway, I'll keep going because I'm invested in the characters and have to see/read about Rule and Lily's wedding. Maybe the next one will be another good one. These books are hit and miss. This one was on the miss side. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
The sidhe have come to muck up things and have caused an item to be stolen from Cullen so Lilly and Rule have to find that item. Along the way Rule meets Jasper, a brother he didn't know he had. Lilly does make a friend out of a halfling. Grandmother Yu also takes a big role and Drummond pops in and out.

Looking forward to the next book in the series after the preview! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Politics, Intrigue, and Murder… Oh My!

What I Liked: I’ve totally adjusted to the new voice of Rule Turner. Actually, that only took about 30 minutes of listening. :) I also really like three of the new characters: Ghost-Al Drummond, Jasper Machek, and Alycithin. I know from the preview of Ritual Magic that Al will be back; I hope we see more of Jasper and Alycithin, too.

Grandmother puts in an appearance! I love it when Grandmother is involved. I love how she bosses everyone around, too.

I also liked that the Fey have sixteen words for “enemy” and seven words for “friend.” I’d love to hear more about those definitions.

What I Didn’t Like: I’m noticing more and more that the GraphicAudio books are abridged–not because they are done poorly by any means; I think GA has adapted the books for production very well–but because I notice storylines that aren’t quite finished or a lack of details that I imagine would be in the book.

For example, in Mortal Ties, the story never comes back to Lily’s sister, Beth, whose call starts off the story. The fey describe friendships “of the third degree” and “of the fifth degree,” but the meanings are never explained in the audio. The ending scene with Al Drummond makes me think there is more about him in the books, too. So, as much as I love listening to the GA versions, I have a feeling I’m going to have to switch to the books soon, or finish the series in GA and then reread the books.

Plus the books have a glossary of characters and terms. With as wonderfully complex as Wilks’ world is getting, a glossary might be necessary!

Purchased. Review courtesy of onebooktwo.com | one book, two reviews. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Dec 18, 2015 |
More a 4.5

Excellent series!! ( )
  Fidget78 | Jan 5, 2014 |
While the ending tells us Drummond would be back, he didn't really make much of an impact on me in this book, or the one before. Still haven't figured out what the gold rings on the ghosts mean.

I get that Lily was raised a certain way. and her being in law enforcement, and she works a certain way. What I don't like is the fact that she is questioning everything re Lupi, almost as if they explain it to her she can condone it. And she and Rule have been together long enough that she shouldn't still be getting her back up re bodyguards.

I also felt it was anti-climatic and too convoluted that Rule's half-brother just happened to be a thief who had slept with Robert Friar. Lily's sister Beth just happened to be in lust with her boss, Sean Friar, who happens to be half-brother to Robert Friar.

I was going to originally give it 4 stars, but too many things were tidied up too neatly. This one felt off to me. ( )
  DrkCherry | Sep 21, 2013 |

When the prototype of a magical device is stolen from their clan, FBI agent Lily Yu and her fiancé, lupi Rule Turner, must race against time to recover their missing property before it falls into the hands of Robert Friar, a killer, madman, and acolyte of the Old One the lupi are at war with.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible