Skylark (The Skylark Trilogy) by Meagan…

Skylark (The Skylark Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Meagan Spooner

2041557,485 (3.46)2
Title:Skylark (The Skylark Trilogy)
Authors:Meagan Spooner
Info:Carolrhoda Books (2012), Hardcover, 344 pages
Tags:Teen, 16 year old Lark, Harvested for magic, Oren, Dome, Iron Forest, renewables

Skylark by Meagan Spooner

Divergent by Veronica Roth (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

Skylark is a very enjoyable book to read. My only complaint is that it's way too short. You just get comfortable with the characters, get to know them and the plot thickens... when bam! it's all finished. I had the same problem with Sister Assassin. TOO SHORT. Is it because it's YA? Do the publishers think that teens suffer from short attention spun? Can any teen tell me if they are alright with short books or if they get bored with something longer than 200 pages? I just want to know.

Lark is a nice young girl who has a great sense of justice. She is determined to set things right even if it means that she will suffer and feel humiliated. That takes great courage. She also doesn't turn the blind eye towards certain truths and doesn't stay in denial like many YA heroines I know.

In short, she is an asset, not a liability, and I greatly admire that.

I loved how Skylark was about friendships not silly love triangles or even a love interest. There is Oren - a wonderful, lonely, wild boy who helps Lark on her journey to the Iron City and there is a tiny pixie Nix, who has a consciousness of its own and who swiftly captures readers hearts.

Although there is an attempt to market Skylark as a steampunk, it's only vaguely steampunk-ish the way City of Ember might have been. It is a clear mix of genres - fantasy and dystopia with bits of clockwork mechanisms thrown in.

The world itself is very vague, but as it's a simple linear plot, it doesn't take from the enjoyment of the book. Overall, a great read! Don't hesitate to buy it for your son or daughter or read it yourself. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I have been enjoying The Starbound Trilogy co-written by Meagan and Spooner and Amie Kaufman, so I thought I would try this series by Spooner alone (albeit dedicated to Kaufman).

This is a sort of steampunk-ish dystopia featuring a post-apocalyptic world in which survivors live inside a wall. When they are deemed ready to be “adults,” they are selected for “harvesting” by the governing power. Harvesting means that the magic, inherent in children, is tapped by the rulers to keep the city going, to preserve the remaining technology. After harvesting, the chosen children are tested for aptitude, and assigned roles in the city based on the results.

With Lark, however, the process is different. She is 16 before she is harvested, a relatively late age. Furthermore, she is not harvested once, but repeatedly, and discovers that her treatment is not the only sinister thing going on behind the scenes. Her only hope is to escape, but there are rumors of what lies beyond the wall, and none of them are encouraging.

Evaluation: Unfortunately, I did not like this book nearly as much as the collaborated books. The story, while it had potential, seemed to drag in spite of the tension in the premise, and I found myself wanting to skim. At the end, I didn’t feel much desire to continue with the series. ( )
  nbmars | Jan 10, 2015 |
I read the book first to last without putting it down. Lark, our 16 year old hero discovers when her city is ready to "harvest" her magic that she is different. Her world is run by machines that run on magic. And the magic is harvested from it's citizens when they are young. It's a coming of age rite within the culture. But something is wrong with Lark and this leads her away from everything she was ever raised to believe.

Skylark is written in the first person. Spooner gives our innocent heroine a natural voice that reflects the wonder, the fear, the curiosity and the revulsion of innocence turned loose in a savage world where she has no skills for survival.

It is at once a coming of age and stripping of illusions about the true nature of the world.

When the book ended I was sad to leave Lark and her adventures. I hope we see more of her in the future. ( )
  blatherlikeme | Sep 28, 2014 |
Remember when you saw Danny Boyle's Sunshine, and for the first two thirds of it, you were like, "Holy shit, this is the most perfect science fiction movie ever made?" and then the last third happened and you felt stunned and betrayed and...lost? This book is the reverse of that. The first two thirds are boooooring and typical and just nearly impossible to slog through. But then the last third of the book hits, and something starts to click, and it keeps clicking, and before you know it, you're just utterly enchanted and pleasantly surprised, and... I don't know.

The characters and love story are pretty typical of any YA dystopian whatever you've read, until, again, the last third of the book. I saw every twist that occurred at the end well before it happened, but it didn't matter because there is one moment between our heroine and her boy that...I don't know how to say this without spoiling anything. But it felt right. And it felt real. And it was really heartbreaking. I'm talking about when she kisses him and he tastes like blood and she is complete grossed out by his monsterness And for that moment alone, I think everyone who likes this sort of thing should read this novel.

Actually, I take that back. If you're a slower reader, wait for the second book to come out and see what people say about it. THEN, if THAT feedback is good, read book one. Because the beginning really is such a slog. I read at least one novel per day, and I forget sometimes what an undertaking a book of this length might be for a person, so again, if reading time is rare for you, hold off. Read [b:Angelfall|11500217|Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)|Susan Ee|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1319887835s/11500217.jpg|16435765] instead. Ain't no shame. ( )
  KateBond | Sep 20, 2013 |
Full Review to be posted soon:

Skylark started off a bit slow for me but once the story got going, I really enjoyed the atmosphere and tone of a world filled with magic that feeds clockwork machines, Shadow people, and magic gone wild. ( )
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |

Lark Ainsley has yearned to become an adult by having her magical energy harvested, but when she is finally chosen a special talent is revealed and, rather than become a human battery powering the dome that protects humanity, she escapes hoping to find the Iron Wood, a wilderness rumored to be inhabited by others like herself.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible