Skylark (The Skylark Trilogy) by Meagan…

Skylark (The Skylark Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Meagan Spooner

1941461,408 (3.41)2
Member:lprybylo
Title:Skylark (The Skylark Trilogy)
Authors:Meagan Spooner
Info:Carolrhoda Books (2012), Hardcover, 344 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Teen, 16 year old Lark, Harvested for magic, Oren, Dome, Iron Forest, renewables

Skylark by Meagan Spooner

Divergent by Veronica Roth (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

I have been enjoying The Starbound Trilogy co-written by Meagan and Spooner and Amie Kaufman, so I thought I would try this series by Spooner alone (albeit dedicated to Kaufman).

This is a sort of steampunk-ish dystopia featuring a post-apocalyptic world in which survivors live inside a wall. When they are deemed ready to be “adults,” they are selected for “harvesting” by the governing power. Harvesting means that the magic, inherent in children, is tapped by the rulers to keep the city going, to preserve the remaining technology. After harvesting, the chosen children are tested for aptitude, and assigned roles in the city based on the results.

With Lark, however, the process is different. She is 16 before she is harvested, a relatively late age. Furthermore, she is not harvested once, but repeatedly, and discovers that her treatment is not the only sinister thing going on behind the scenes. Her only hope is to escape, but there are rumors of what lies beyond the wall, and none of them are encouraging.

Evaluation: Unfortunately, I did not like this book nearly as much as the collaborated books. The story, while it had potential, seemed to drag in spite of the tension in the premise, and I found myself wanting to skim. At the end, I didn’t feel much desire to continue with the series. ( )
  nbmars | Jan 10, 2015 |
I read the book first to last without putting it down. Lark, our 16 year old hero discovers when her city is ready to "harvest" her magic that she is different. Her world is run by machines that run on magic. And the magic is harvested from it's citizens when they are young. It's a coming of age rite within the culture. But something is wrong with Lark and this leads her away from everything she was ever raised to believe.

Skylark is written in the first person. Spooner gives our innocent heroine a natural voice that reflects the wonder, the fear, the curiosity and the revulsion of innocence turned loose in a savage world where she has no skills for survival.

It is at once a coming of age and stripping of illusions about the true nature of the world.

When the book ended I was sad to leave Lark and her adventures. I hope we see more of her in the future. ( )
  blatherlikeme | Sep 28, 2014 |
Remember when you saw Danny Boyle's Sunshine, and for the first two thirds of it, you were like, "Holy shit, this is the most perfect science fiction movie ever made?" and then the last third happened and you felt stunned and betrayed and...lost? This book is the reverse of that. The first two thirds are boooooring and typical and just nearly impossible to slog through. But then the last third of the book hits, and something starts to click, and it keeps clicking, and before you know it, you're just utterly enchanted and pleasantly surprised, and... I don't know.

The characters and love story are pretty typical of any YA dystopian whatever you've read, until, again, the last third of the book. I saw every twist that occurred at the end well before it happened, but it didn't matter because there is one moment between our heroine and her boy that...I don't know how to say this without spoiling anything. But it felt right. And it felt real. And it was really heartbreaking. I'm talking about when she kisses him and he tastes like blood and she is complete grossed out by his monsterness And for that moment alone, I think everyone who likes this sort of thing should read this novel.

Actually, I take that back. If you're a slower reader, wait for the second book to come out and see what people say about it. THEN, if THAT feedback is good, read book one. Because the beginning really is such a slog. I read at least one novel per day, and I forget sometimes what an undertaking a book of this length might be for a person, so again, if reading time is rare for you, hold off. Read [b:Angelfall|11500217|Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)|Susan Ee|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1319887835s/11500217.jpg|16435765] instead. Ain't no shame. ( )
  KateBond | Sep 20, 2013 |
Full Review to be posted soon:

Skylark started off a bit slow for me but once the story got going, I really enjoyed the atmosphere and tone of a world filled with magic that feeds clockwork machines, Shadow people, and magic gone wild. ( )
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |
I honestly enjoyed this read. There were a few things that niggled a little, hence the 4 and not higher but overall it was an enjoyable read.

Lark Ainsley lives behind a wall, she has never seen the sky, the wall protects her city inside and out from the aftermath of wars outside. She's waiting impatiently to give her Resource or Magic to the city to help power it and become a productive member of society. She's older than most and when she goes in it's not all straightforward, she's heard how it's supposed to be but there's something wrong and it appears that she's going to become a power source for the city.

She escapes and finds others like her and some very scary other people, some rumours about outside are true and some are false but can she trust anyone?

I liked the story and Lark, a great character, Nix was excellent too and entertaining. This is a series I want to read more of. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 10, 2013 |

Lark Ainsley has yearned to become an adult by having her magical energy harvested, but when she is finally chosen a special talent is revealed and, rather than become a human battery powering the dome that protects humanity, she escapes hoping to find the Iron Wood, a wilderness rumored to be inhabited by others like herself.… (more)

25 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,294,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible