Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke…

Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:talesofabookishnerd
Title:Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 528 pages

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor (2012)

English (175)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (179)
I LOVED Daughter of Smoke and Bone. However, in the time between its publication and this sequel, I got into a bunch of other series and only just returned to it. I regret waiting so long!

Days of Blood and Starlight suffers somewhat from “middle book syndrome” in that the plot slows way down so the heroine can wallow in guilt for a while. A long while, unfortunately. This didn’t keep me from plowing through it in less than 2 days, though. Karou is a fascinating protagonist, particularly now that she knows she was/is Madrigal. The first book ended on a cliffhanger with Karou **SPOILER ALERT** learning of the complete destruction of the Chimaera stronghold, Loramendi. She feels responsible since she helped Akiva escape, never mind that it was Thiago who told him the secret of resurrection. The book opens with her working as the new resurrectionist for Thiago, whose team were not in Loramendi when the Seraphs razed it. She is reviled and alone, and now fully understands the literal pain of Brimstone’s mission.

Part of the reason the book was still so good, despite the wallowing, was the expanded worldbuilding. The book alternates between Karou and the revenants in a hideout on Earth and what is happening to Chimaera on Eretz. The Seraphs are hunting down and killing or enslaving them. Akiva (also wallowing in guilt about Loramendi) is part of such a squad but is actively working against them to save what few he can. When he reveals the truth to his brother and sister, they join in his cause. This leads to some interesting revelations about Akiva, his magic, and the mysterious Stelians – Seraphs who left the Empire. All of this kept me turning the pages well into the night.

The book really picks up once Karou’s human friend Zuzana and her boyfriend Mik track her down. They help bring her out of her despondency and give her new purpose. Meanwhile, the fallen angel Razgut has sparked a conspiracy in the Empire that will have dire consequences for Eretz...and Earth.

Overall, this was a very entertaining read and I started the final book immediately upon finishing it. Highly recommended! ( )
  jshillingford | Oct 15, 2018 |

Once upon a time,

→ an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them.
And its snap split the world in two.

→ a girl lived in a sandcastle, making monsters to send through a hole in the sky.

→ an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a new way of living

→ the sky knew the weight of angel armies on the move, and the wind blew infernal with the fire of their wings.

→ chimaera descended by the thousands into a cathedral beneath the earth. And never left

Chapter 1

As per my previous review of DOSAB, I really thing the author has an excellent sense of humor! Zuzana and her boyfriend Mik →

“Please tell me you have to pee.”
“What? No. No, I do not. Don’t even ask.”
“Oh, come on. I’d do it myself if I could, but I can’t. I’m a girl.”
“I know. Life is so unfair. I’m still not going to pee on Karou’s ex-boyfriend for you.”
“What? I wasn’t even going to ask you to.” In her most reasonable tone, Zuzana explained, “I just want you to pee in a balloon so I can drop it on him.”
“Oh.” Mik pretended to consider this for approximately one and a half seconds. “No.”
Zuzana exhaled heavily through her mouth. “Fine. But you know he deserves it.”

DID THEY DO IT? Read THE BOOK!!!

Chapter Development
Days of Blood & Starlight –continues where Daugter of smoke and bone ended.

Her relationship with Akiva is a bit strained in this instalment as she blames him for everything
The story reveals lots about Zuzana and her boyfriend Mik relationship, and I must say I truly enjoyed the portions where they interacted

Mik, contrary to appearances, was not quite asleep. He rallied to say, “I want to be someone’s hero, too.”

“Oh, you are,” Zuzana assured him, throwing herself on top of him. She kissed him with a smack.

“My fairy-tale hero, one task down and two to go.” Karou didn’t know what that was about, but she backed away as Zuzana continued to plant noisy assurances all over his face.

Quote I loved

The fear was easy to banish. The anger was something else.

a tremor of love and a chill of awe, a wave of power and a surge of hope. Hope.

dreams that invade the space between seconds, proving sleep has its own physics

Epilogue! →

… to be continued

Recommend to the following type of readers: →
Over 15 etc. LOVERS OF PNR!

Why my rating?→
Don’t be foolish read the book, IF YOU LOVE PNR!!!!

Will I read it again?→
Maybe later

My feelings while reading this: →
Excited to read next book!

To the Author

The story was different than book one, but the characters growth was extremely well done and I really enjoyed, Laini Taylor knows how to write an PNR that will keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat the whole time. ( )
  Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
Karou finally has all the answers she has been looking for. She knows who she is, what she is and is now living with the consequences of that knowledge. Heart heavy with guilt and feeling she owes a debt that can never be repaid, Karou has led what's left of her people to a hidden desert fortress so she can carry on with Brimstone's work. Survival alone is not a very good life. How do you end an unending war?

Days of Blood and Starlight is vastly different than the first book. Gone is the magical light heartedness and mystery as we were being first introduced to Karou and her family. This was a very dark book. Dealing with how an endless war affects people doesn't make for a happy story. The author did a very good job of presenting the horrors of war without being gratuitous. It makes for a slower paced, and in places, more difficult read, but was well worth it.

Karou ends up being dragged through the wringer, physically and emotionally. The effects of unending war are felt by everyone, with tons of resentment and blame to go around. Even as the chimera's only hope for survival, Karou is constantly treated like crap, which ends up being a pretty important plot point once we discover why this is so extreme. Also gone is the love story for which I'm extremely grateful. How could someone be expected to forgive and love a person who murdered her family and nearly wiped out her species? I'm glad Taylor treated this realistically instead of carrying on with the insta-love trope.

The story continues with wonderful world building. I loved seeing more of Eretz, as it was mostly left to our imaginations in the first book. We're also given an insight into Seraphim society and wow is that twisted. I'm happy to say that we have pretty solid hints that a second seraph society is not like this at all, which carries on the theme of hope that is one of the foundations of this series.

Zuzana and Mik are back and bring a much needed lightness to the story, a little levity to help us through the darkness. Karou is lucky to have them as friends.

The story leaves us with one hell of a set up for book three. I'm looking forward to it! ( )
  Narilka | Aug 26, 2018 |
I purchased this book from Amazon to #buddyread with my bestie @mycornerforbooksand. All opinions are my own. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor. This is the second part of The Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I enjoyed the action in this one way better than the first. The story continues and the characters grow. Karou has learned more about the strengths she has and begins to rebuild her chimera army side by side with The Wolf until she learns the truth of what the Wolf is doing and then she pulls her inner rebel and begins to work her own plot to save the chimera. While all of that is happening on Earth, Akiva is in Astrae planning the downfall of throne of angels. The demons and the angels are both planning downfalls that can only lead to a war in a place neither have dreamed. Can't wait to dive into part 3 soon with my bestie @mycornerforbooksand. Review also posted on Instagram @borenbooks, Library Thing, Go Read, Goodreads/StacieBoren, Amazon, Twitter @jason_stacie and my blog at readsbystacie.com ( )
  SBoren | Jul 7, 2018 |
4.25

This one was definitely more epic than the first and I loved the host of characters and multiple POVs we are introduced to. The pacing is fantastic, full of action and never stalling to breathe. I thoroughly enjoyed Karou and Akiva's separate paths and am so damn proud of both of them. Also! Zuzana and Mik are the cutest! And Ziri, my sweet, self sacrificing new fave, UGH. Hug me.

Definitely moving onto the next one as soon as I press save.
  libraryinthecountry | May 6, 2018 |

Impey, AlisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AlisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luconi, MarcusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them.

And its snap split the world in two.
For Jim, extremely
Prague, early May.

"The otherworldly Karou struggles to come to terms with who and what she is, and how far she'll go to avenge her people"--

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,630,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible