Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke…

Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:sophronia82
Title:Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 528 pages
Collections:Teen Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:teen fiction, romance, war, fantasy, angels, demons, urban fantasy, love, heroine

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor (2012)

English (123)  Italian (1)  Indonesian (1)  German (1)  All languages (126)
The end of Daughter of Smoke and Bone let us -- and its characters -- in on some secrets. Days of Blood and Starlight is what happens once those secrets are revealed.

I have to be honest and say that I almost wasn't going to review this title. Something about it just did not click with me. I did love Daughter of Smoke & Bone -- yet my least favorite part was the Karou and Akiva relationship (for whatever reason, one I could not pinpoint) and that is so much a basis for this book. Don't hate me yet for still choosing to review this!

The reason I am reviewing it despite the disconnect I felt from it is because of the movie news. (Still don't hate!)

There's something about both Daughter of Smoke & Bone and Days of Blood and Starlight, as well that fall back to more of a storytelling time. Days was better for me as an audiobook, hearing someone tell me the story, brought me into it a bit more.

I think what I missed -- and part of why I'm so hopeful the movie will happen soon -- in Days was the gorgeous, exquisite world Laini Taylor created in Daughter. It reminded me a lot of if Sara Crewe from the Little Princess movie had grown up in the magical world she imagined -- and dyed her hair blue.

I did love that some of my favorite characters, like Zuzana were back in this second book. I love that human marionette ballerina -- and her friendship with Karou. As always Laini Taylor's writing is fantastic and she always has lines I'm ready to quote. It just didn't all add up to a story that's so far (see #4 below) worked for me.

So, what I'm taking forever to say is this, no, I never did really connect with Days of Blood & Starlight (I hate that!), but four things: 1) Don't let that discourage you from trying either book 2) Try the audiobook(s) for this series 3) This book/series should be crazy brilliant as a movie, if adapted well - read the book(s) so you know what's up 4) I loved Daughter of Smoke & Bone so much I'm giving this one a try again later to see if I just read it at the wrong time.

(This may be my least sense-ical and/or logical review in a long, long time if not ever . . . . hoping my four points help a bit!)

(egalley received via NetGalley from LBYR; review originally posted on my blog)
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
It was good! I thought it was much better than the 1st in the series... I liked that there was more happening and less of the mindless mushy gushy love stuff.... (I mean, it is definitely also a love story, but the first one just felt kind of eyes-glaze-over dull, and this was much more interesting). I agree w/ one reviewer that this book probably makes light of genocide-type behavior when compared with the relationship woes... but if you read it as a fantasy (which I did) and not a commentary on real-life tragedies, and take it as a teen romance (which I did), I think you can move right past that ;) I'm looking forward to reading the 3rd! ( )
  avanders | Apr 26, 2015 |
Even though the story unravelled in a VERY SLOW pace, boring me out of my mind at times and confusing me about where the said story is supposed to be going, after reading Days of Blood & Starlight from cover to cover, I started to appreciate it for its darkness and twistedness. Those of us watching Supernatural have known for years that angels are not fun (Cas is, of course, a different kettle of fish), but here they are REALLY NOT FUN AT ALL. Having the most interesting characters being human says a lot about human race. And even though I like Apocalypse stories as much as the next girl, I really hope this one will not take the oh-my-god-we-are-all-going-to-die-and-the-supervillain-is-going-to-rule-the-world-and-we-have-to-have-the-end-of-the-world-party direction. If it does it is going to be a very boring series finale, which I am going to read anyway, obviously, because right now the story is going places. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
I hate to start out with the negative but I've got to lay thoughts out as they come to me. The first third of this book seemed like a mountain climb that was mostly unnecessary. The second third was much more interesting, and the last third the story finally came alive.

Akiva and Karou are an emotional roller coaster all on their own, add in the other angels, chimera and humans and we almost have an emotional explosion. I felt so much closer to Zuzana and Mik this go round. Such a sweet couple and such good friends. Our new love to hate character turned out to be quite a surprise, much like our old love to hate character. These are the things that kept me hanging on.

I'm overall very satisfied with the read and am very excited for the next chapter in the story. Stars 3.5 ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I find no words to describe the beauty of this book.

I loved the way it went from one POV to another. I got to know the characters, their personalities, their thoughts, their fears and their hopes. They are so many and yet by the end of the book you could name each one of them. My heart broke so many times. This book described the awfulness of war, the loss each side feels be cause they had to follow a "leader" they don't agree with. Then the thoughts of uprising, the doubt, the HOPE.

I can't wait to start the third book. ( )
  Inessova | Mar 28, 2015 |

Impey, AlisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AlisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luconi, MarcusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them.

And its snap split the world in two.
For Jim, extremely
Prague, early May.

Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is--and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?

"The otherworldly Karou struggles to come to terms with who and what she is, and how far she'll go to avenge her people"--

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

150 wanted5 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,219,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible