Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke…

Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:sawcat
Title:Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 528 pages
Collections:Goodreads redo, Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:audio, angels, fantasy, paranormal, young adult, audiobook, loved-it-want-more, young-adult

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor (2012)

English (154)  Italian (1)  Indonesian (1)  German (1)  All (157)
This book felt like a bridge book that a lot of second books in a trilogy are, that connects the first book and third book but not much happens. I'm not saying that nothing happens in this book; a lot does, including a certain death which broke my heart (I didn't know I even liked that character until he died and I almost actually cried...) but none of my questions from the previous book was answered. how can Akiva use magic? why are Akiva and Karou drawn to each other the way they are? is there some magical connection between them or is it love? Why was razgat (is this how it's spelled?) cast down? What does Akiva's tribe have to do with the whole thing? Guess all of them will be answered in the next and the last book! not very satisfied with this book but still excited to start reading the Dreams of Gods and Monsters. ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
Review coming soon... excellent book ( )
  khinman7 | Feb 6, 2017 |
I finished this book over a week ago but I had no clarity around how to comment on it, on my experience of reading it. Five stars, hands down, because Laini Taylor is a terrific writer, lyrical, potent and rich, so rich!

But . . .

I didn't 'enjoy' being in this book and on reflection I'm pretty sure I wasn't meant to. It's dark in the level of self-loathing and despair. It seems that Karou, Hope, is a word deleted. There's no place for it in this world. Heart wrenching. Utterly. And cruel too.

It wasn't until I went back a reread 'Daughter' that I could feel connected to the characters again, and I realized that Taylor had warned us, right on page one. Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It didn't end well . . . We knew what we were getting into.

The story is about change and survival, and what happens to the heart when we lose too much. It's painfully sad, and hopeless, but after some time and distance from the book, I find a sense of hope rising again and this is the brilliance of the story. It reminds us of our ability to believe in the potential, at least, for something better, even when all signs point in another direction.

I look forward to where book #3 will takes us. What a journey. ( )
  KimFalconer | Jan 29, 2017 |
I liked this book almost as much as the first. It doesn't suffer from 2nd book syndrome, which is a feat! The storyline is interesting and important to the trilogy. The characters grow and get better to read about. The pace is a little slow at first, but it picks up quickly. I'm super excited to read the next one!! ( )
  ladonna37 | Dec 19, 2016 |
HOLY SMOKES, THIS BOOK BLEW ME AWAY. Thar be Daughter of Smoke and Bone spoilers ahead.

I liked but did not love Daughter of Smoke and Bone. The heroine and the worldbuilding were intriguing, but the story got derailed by an oh-so-tortured love interest, and then it became a series of flashbacks, and right when the book got back on track, it ended on a cliffhanger! But if I think of that entire book as a first act, setting up the characters and the world they live in, I am less irritated, because OH MY GOD THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING AND TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Karou is barely recognizable as the vibrant, carefree girl of that first book. She finally knows who she is, but she has lost her family, her heart has been shattered, and she is shunned by her fellow chimaera. Full of anger, guilt and shame, Karou becomes the new Resurrectionist, creating truly monstrous bodies for the chimaera to use in their war against the brutal seraphim. Meanwhile, Akiva has been shaken to his core, not just by his love of Karou, but also by his role in the massacre of her people.

Gone are the innocence and the romance of the story. Instead there is war: the violence, the horror, the pain, the weariness. The futility of vengeance is shown as blood is repaid with blood over and over and over again. Leaders on both sides are shown to have their own personal agendas, and allies are not always friends. (Remember who the real enemy is, Katniss - er, I mean Karou.) But Karou and Akiva's dream of peace stubbornly refuses to die.

Four and a half stars. ( )
  doryfish | Dec 13, 2016 |

Impey, AlisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AlisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luconi, MarcusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them.

And its snap split the world in two.
For Jim, extremely
Prague, early May.

"The otherworldly Karou struggles to come to terms with who and what she is, and how far she'll go to avenge her people"--

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,317,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible