Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke…

Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:mscott1
Title:Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 528 pages
Collections:Have Already Read
Rating:*****

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor (2012)

English (121)  Italian (1)  Indonesian (1)  German (1)  All languages (124)
Even though the story unravelled in a VERY SLOW pace, boring me out of my mind at times and confusing me about where the said story is supposed to be going, after reading Days of Blood & Starlight from cover to cover, I started to appreciate it for its darkness and twistedness. Those of us watching Supernatural have known for years that angels are not fun (Cas is, of course, a different kettle of fish), but here they are REALLY NOT FUN AT ALL. Having the most interesting characters being human says a lot about human race. And even though I like Apocalypse stories as much as the next girl, I really hope this one will not take the oh-my-god-we-are-all-going-to-die-and-the-supervillain-is-going-to-rule-the-world-and-we-have-to-have-the-end-of-the-world-party direction. If it does it is going to be a very boring series finale, which I am going to read anyway, obviously, because right now the story is going places. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
I hate to start out with the negative but I've got to lay thoughts out as they come to me. The first third of this book seemed like a mountain climb that was mostly unnecessary. The second third was much more interesting, and the last third the story finally came alive.

Akiva and Karou are an emotional roller coaster all on their own, add in the other angels, chimera and humans and we almost have an emotional explosion. I felt so much closer to Zuzana and Mik this go round. Such a sweet couple and such good friends. Our new love to hate character turned out to be quite a surprise, much like our old love to hate character. These are the things that kept me hanging on.

I'm overall very satisfied with the read and am very excited for the next chapter in the story. Stars 3.5 ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I find no words to describe the beauty of this book.

I loved the way it went from one POV to another. I got to know the characters, their personalities, their thoughts, their fears and their hopes. They are so many and yet by the end of the book you could name each one of them. My heart broke so many times. This book described the awfulness of war, the loss each side feels be cause they had to follow a "leader" they don't agree with. Then the thoughts of uprising, the doubt, the HOPE.

I can't wait to start the third book. ( )
  Inessova | Mar 28, 2015 |
I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed returning to Karou’s world of chimaera. And then I was surprised again when I found myself incredibly bored, heartened only by the short chapters and a few moments of brilliance from Karou.

The first half of this book was really difficult for me to get through. All of the main characters (Karou, Akiva, Zuzana) are separated and for some reason it takes 200 pages to basically catch the reader up on each of their lives. Interspersed were chapters from other characters points-of-view that were stuck in just as plot movers so that the reader could see parts of the war that the main characters weren’t privy to. This really slowed down the story and made me feel like I was drowning in plot (and misery).

The second half of the book picks up when Zuzana and Karou are finally reunited, but I can only admit to being fully rapt for about half of the remaining chapters. Very little of Akiva’s story held my interest, and as I have no personal stake in Karou/Akiva I didn’t really care if they found their way back to each other or not. (In fact, after this book, I am firmly in the Karou/Ziri camp.)

This book was written with the knowledge that there would be one more book to come, and it really shows. There is no end to this one; it ends more like a breath is held. The purpose, I’m sure, is to make me really want to read the next book, but honestly this one wore me out and I’m going to have to take a break from Karou’s world yet again. ( )
  sixteendays | Feb 26, 2015 |

Impey, AlisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AlisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luconi, MarcusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them.

And its snap split the world in two.
For Jim, extremely
Prague, early May.

Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is--and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?

"The otherworldly Karou struggles to come to terms with who and what she is, and how far she'll go to avenge her people"--

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

150 wanted5 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,701,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible