Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke…

Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:readerspeak
Title:Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 528 pages
Tags:fantasy, teen fiction

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor (2012)

English (118)  Italian (1)  Indonesian (1)  German (1)  All languages (121)
Oh, God.

Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
[b:Days of Blood & Starlight|12812550|Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)|Laini Taylor|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337964452s/12812550.jpg|17961723] is so different from [b:Daughter of Smoke & Bone|8490112|Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)|Laini Taylor|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1338613368s/8490112.jpg|13355552], but it's just as good! ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Meh. Days of Blood & Starlight was okay. It definitely didn't rock my world, and it certainly suffered from second-book-itis. The thing that bugged me the most, though, and I'm sure the reason for 3 stars instead of 4 was how quickly Karou was cowed by Thiago, and how she played the victim right up until the epilogue. (500 pages!) Her mindset drove me bonkers. Even the fight with Thiago by the pit was overshadowed by her weak thoughts and reaction. So yeah, I'm glad I read this book, but I really just wanna hurry up and get to Dreams of Gods & Monsters. (Mainly so I can forget about the Karou of Book Two.) I'm crossing my fingers Book Three has the Karou (I liked) of Book One.

3 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Jan 13, 2015 |
This was a great sequel to the first book albeit darker. It's been a while since a book was so exciting I devoured it as quickly as I could and not just to get through it. I liked it more than the first book.

Not a lot happened in the main plot with Karou. It mostly revolved around Karou being the new resurrectionist and fighting her guilt over the genocide of her people. But it was the inner turmoil that Karou goes through that made her story interesting. You see flashes of her strength and intelligence shining through the meek little mouse she feels she has to be to show her remorse to the other Chimaera. And to see her rise up and defeat Thiago in the end was satifying.

Akiva's storyline got very interesting. His growing magic gave some insight into the power that the mysterious angels (the ones from the tribe his mother comes from can't remember the name) possess. I can't wait to learn more about them. We got to see more of the angel society and how it functions as well as glean a better understand of the status the misbegotten have among the angels. We learned a lot more about individual angels like Liraz, Hazael *sniff*, and Joram. All of this adds to the world-building, making a more complete picture.

Zuze and Mik were fantastic for this book. So often in stories the side characters are boring and we can't wait to get back to the main characters. Not so with Zuze and Mik. They brought a lot of humor and most importantly, warmth. Seeing the light they brought to Karou and how the Chimaera embraced them made me smile. Ziri was a great side character addition. Definitely someone we can root for and a great ally to Karou along with Issa.

Throughout the novel we are taken away from the main plot to follow unknown characters. Normally I would hate this but it worked here. Instead of just being told of the horrors the folk were going through we followed some of them and saw it first-hand. We understand more of the angels through the eyes of the one guard watching the parade and so feel horror when we read about the 14 guards, including him, that were hung. Laini Taylor was very smart to include these things so that when we read about the struggles in Eretz, we understand everyone's viewpoint. The depth of the awful things done is more felt.

All in all a great book which left us with so many interesting cliff hangers. Off to read the next one! ( )
  krystalwhatsername | Dec 28, 2014 |
Before I get started, I just want to say that this series isn’t just for supernatural genre lovers. I feel like this can be a great read for people who don’t read much fantasy as it’s fast paced and just enough of an in-depth world to not confuse readers. I’d definitely recommend giving the first book a read, and not judge the love aspect from the get go. Trust me, it gets better.

To begin, I think Laini Taylor is automatically considered a phenomenal writer in my opinion, up there with Maggie Stiefvater. I was hoping Daughter of Smoke and Bone wasn’t a one time miracle writing debut, but her amazing and imaginative word plays carry over into this second book as well!

As you read this book, you’ll see all the special powers given to our main characters and while they arrive only a mili-second too late, the characters deal with their newfound abilities very maturely. I still think the greatest power has been given to Karou, and it becomes even better and stronger in this sequel.

There is something the reader needs to know before you start off with this book, it's so much better than the first! The only problem I HAD with the first book was that the love was more lust-y than real, and the author addresses that, fantastically. There is NO abandoning of your people or sacrificing your powers to get true love, thank goodness *ahem shadow and bone series*! My love for Zuzanna and Mik grew and I squealed more over them than any other characters. Mik also grew into his own and their loyalty and total honesty with Karou was refreshing from secondary characters.

“You have only to begin, Lir. Mercy breeds mercy as slaughter breeds slaughter. We can’t expect the world to be better than we make it.”

Oh if only someone had told Thiago that, but I doubt he’d believe any of that anyway. The Thiago vs Madrigal clash got worse in this book, and by worse, I mean it got more terrifying. You can really feel the wolf-beast inside Thiago, the way he acts so malicious but in such a quick and painful way. Unfortunately, Karou ignored all the signs against Thiago and paid a pretty dear price near the end.

I really liked how this book didn’t push at the ‘forbidden romance’ and I felt that Akiva had a pretty great development in this book. In the beginning I very much disliked him for doing what he did to Karou’s world. But by the end, you can no doubt see that he very much deserves a second chance, not to just make amends with Karou but the whole chimera civilization. Their meeting is very chilling and Laini Taylor makes it as raw as can be between a world on the brink of war.

I also enjoyed how the story focuses on Akiva’s own abilities, and not just his redemption for Karou. You can see his leadership qualities and why he’s considered Beast’s Bane among the Misbegotten. The assassination plot within the angel world was drenched in political drama and you can see the corrupt ruling on both sides of the battle. So many good sub-plots to talk about!

Nevertheless, the book does contain its fair share of supernatural aspects, but it’s something you start to understand easily as you finish the book. The book did feel very hopeless, but then that’s the whole point of the story and there IS hope, and you really feel that at every pinnacle climaxes of the story.

Overall, beautiful writing and a very creative storyline gives, I believe, the first and only 5/5 star of the year. ( )
  bubblyair | Dec 27, 2014 |

Impey, AlisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AlisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luconi, MarcusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them.

And its snap split the world in two.
For Jim, extremely
Prague, early May.

Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is--and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?

"The otherworldly Karou struggles to come to terms with who and what she is, and how far she'll go to avenge her people"--

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

150 wanted5 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,093,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible