Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

Days of Blood & Starlight (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor, Khristine Hvam (Reader)

Member:xicanti
Title:Days of Blood & Starlight
Authors:Laini Taylor
Other authors:Khristine Hvam (Reader)
Info:Little, Brown Young Readers (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Permanent Collection
Tags:fantasy, contemporary fantasy, magic users, angels, family, american, 2x, 2013, 2014

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor (2012)

English (118)  Italian (1)  Indonesian (1)  German (1)  All languages (121)
I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed returning to Karou’s world of chimaera. And then I was surprised again when I found myself incredibly bored, heartened only by the short chapters and a few moments of brilliance from Karou.

The first half of this book was really difficult for me to get through. All of the main characters (Karou, Akiva, Zuzana) are separated and for some reason it takes 200 pages to basically catch the reader up on each of their lives. Interspersed were chapters from other characters points-of-view that were stuck in just as plot movers so that the reader could see parts of the war that the main characters weren’t privy to. This really slowed down the story and made me feel like I was drowning in plot (and misery).

The second half of the book picks up when Zuzana and Karou are finally reunited, but I can only admit to being fully rapt for about half of the remaining chapters. Very little of Akiva’s story held my interest, and as I have no personal stake in Karou/Akiva I didn’t really care if they found their way back to each other or not. (In fact, after this book, I am firmly in the Karou/Ziri camp.)

This book was written with the knowledge that there would be one more book to come, and it really shows. There is no end to this one; it ends more like a breath is held. The purpose, I’m sure, is to make me really want to read the next book, but honestly this one wore me out and I’m going to have to take a break from Karou’s world yet again. ( )
  sixteendays | Feb 26, 2015 |
Oh, God.

Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
[b:Days of Blood & Starlight|12812550|Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)|Laini Taylor|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337964452s/12812550.jpg|17961723] is so different from [b:Daughter of Smoke & Bone|8490112|Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)|Laini Taylor|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1338613368s/8490112.jpg|13355552], but it's just as good! ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Meh. Days of Blood & Starlight was okay. It definitely didn't rock my world, and it certainly suffered from second-book-itis. The thing that bugged me the most, though, and I'm sure the reason for 3 stars instead of 4 was how quickly Karou was cowed by Thiago, and how she played the victim right up until the epilogue. (500 pages!) Her mindset drove me bonkers. Even the fight with Thiago by the pit was overshadowed by her weak thoughts and reaction. So yeah, I'm glad I read this book, but I really just wanna hurry up and get to Dreams of Gods & Monsters. (Mainly so I can forget about the Karou of Book Two.) I'm crossing my fingers Book Three has the Karou (I liked) of Book One.

3 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Jan 13, 2015 |
This was a great sequel to the first book albeit darker. It's been a while since a book was so exciting I devoured it as quickly as I could and not just to get through it. I liked it more than the first book.

Not a lot happened in the main plot with Karou. It mostly revolved around Karou being the new resurrectionist and fighting her guilt over the genocide of her people. But it was the inner turmoil that Karou goes through that made her story interesting. You see flashes of her strength and intelligence shining through the meek little mouse she feels she has to be to show her remorse to the other Chimaera. And to see her rise up and defeat Thiago in the end was satifying.

Akiva's storyline got very interesting. His growing magic gave some insight into the power that the mysterious angels (the ones from the tribe his mother comes from can't remember the name) possess. I can't wait to learn more about them. We got to see more of the angel society and how it functions as well as glean a better understand of the status the misbegotten have among the angels. We learned a lot more about individual angels like Liraz, Hazael *sniff*, and Joram. All of this adds to the world-building, making a more complete picture.

Zuze and Mik were fantastic for this book. So often in stories the side characters are boring and we can't wait to get back to the main characters. Not so with Zuze and Mik. They brought a lot of humor and most importantly, warmth. Seeing the light they brought to Karou and how the Chimaera embraced them made me smile. Ziri was a great side character addition. Definitely someone we can root for and a great ally to Karou along with Issa.

Throughout the novel we are taken away from the main plot to follow unknown characters. Normally I would hate this but it worked here. Instead of just being told of the horrors the folk were going through we followed some of them and saw it first-hand. We understand more of the angels through the eyes of the one guard watching the parade and so feel horror when we read about the 14 guards, including him, that were hung. Laini Taylor was very smart to include these things so that when we read about the struggles in Eretz, we understand everyone's viewpoint. The depth of the awful things done is more felt.

All in all a great book which left us with so many interesting cliff hangers. Off to read the next one! ( )
  krystalwhatsername | Dec 28, 2014 |

Impey, AlisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AlisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luconi, MarcusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them.

And its snap split the world in two.
For Jim, extremely
Prague, early May.

Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is--and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?

"The otherworldly Karou struggles to come to terms with who and what she is, and how far she'll go to avenge her people"--

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

150 wanted5 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,141,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible