Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

Carnival of Souls

by Melissa Marr

Perhaps one of the better novels for young adults/adults that has come out a la Twilight formula. ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
3.5 *

Mallory was raised to hate daimons and to protect herself at all costs from those who are hunting her and her father.

Aya is determined to win a deadly competition that will give her the power and freedom she so desperately craves but just might cost her the man she loves and her life.

Kaleb is a blood-thirsty daimon who wants to win the competition as well for the chance to gain him and his pack better status in The City. He's also a bounty hunter who was sent to retrieve Mallory from the human realm but when his feelings for her start to interfere with his work, he puts himself in an awkward position to lose it all. When a twist of fate brings these three together, they unite for a common cause to take on The City and the daimon who runs it.

This is a fast-paced and action-packed story that had me hooked from the opening pages. My only problem with this book is that it was published in 2013 and I'm wondering...WTH is the sequel?? Ms. Marr, how can you leave this story unfinished after that draw-dropping, cliffhanger ending?? ( )
  DMPrice | Mar 25, 2018 |
I picked this up in part because I wanted to see how good James Marsters does as a reader before spending money to get Harry Dresden in audio. After the snippet from Dresden and listening to this, OH WOW he does well. While the voice does subtle shifts for various characters, he definitely does characterization as he goes. It's amazing.

I'm liking the uniqueness of this world so far. Magic users are all called Witches, regardless of gender. Daimons are demons, as near as I can tell. Then there are humans. We've not really faced any humans in this story so far, just Witches and Daimons. Some things are just taking from other pieces of history. We have a gladiatorial bout as in Rome, with the mob celebrating death. No surprise. Two main characters are part. Third character has a secret. Evil relatives. Hints and suggestions. Some common tropes, but I'm drawn in because the design is unique.

I always start to worry when a book has this great build, detailed plot, but as I near the end, there is no obvious ending in sight. And this one does to me exactly what I hate. It ends on a cliff hanger! Where's the rest of the book? Where's the series! Don't leave me hanging like that!

Definitely a good read, worth exploring the world more. Darker and much more violent than some books I read, but that is part of its charm.
I'd recommend. ( )
  gilroy | Aug 1, 2017 |
This is NOT the next Hunger Games, I don't care what reviewers say. There's not the depth of meaning to the story like there is in Games. The only correlation I can find is there is fighting and selling yourself (much like the tesserea in HG) to get food, but I liked those characters. Even as brash as Katniss was, I cared what happened to her. I don't find myself connecting to any of these people. Oh, he's a curr. She's a witch. I just don't care. It seems like the story is all over the place, but maybe that's just my mind when I'm reading this. I can't focus and I can't make myself interested.
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
This book was really good. I loved the characters. The only thing about this book that upset me was the ending. There was no real climax to me it just sort of ended. But overall a good read. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |

Is contained in

Carnival of Secrets was originally published as Carnival of Souls in Sept 2012.

"A centuries-long war between daimons and witches sets the stage for three teens caught up in a deadly struggle for power and autonomy in the exotic and otherworldly Carnival of Souls, the mercantile center of the daimon dimension"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,803,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible