Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

Carnival of Souls (edition 2012)

by Melissa Marr

Member:AyleeArgh
Title:Carnival of Souls
Authors:Melissa Marr
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***

Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

Recently added byMABoone, ChickensAreBrave, thenerdypuffer, private library, Julieaims, mdconway
2012 (4) 2013 (6) ARC (6) audiobook (2) demons (12) ebook (3) fantasy (33) favorites (2) fiction (19) girls (3) goodreads (3) hardcover (3) Kindle (4) magic (4) melissa marr (3) paranormal (10) paranormal romance (5) read in 2012 (3) romance (4) series (4) signed (5) supernatural (3) teen (8) to-read (63) unread (2) urban fantasy (6) witches (10) YA (15) YA Fantasy (3) young adult (17)

Loved it!!! I love Melissa Marrs Wicked Lovely series. She can tell such an amazing story and this is no different. She has a way of pulling you in to the book. I found myself unable to put it down. This book is told in different point of views. First we have Mallory in the human world and then we have Aya and Kaleb in the Demon world.
Mallory is a demon but she is raised to think she is human. She knows demons exist and that her father is a witch but she is raised to hate and fear demons. She trains every day to kill demons and to be able to defend herself.
Kaleb is a demon who is fighting in a tournament in the Demon world to try and better himself. He is the lowest of the low and if he wins the fights, he will become a rich and powerful leader. Also in this tournament is Aya, the first upper class demon woman who has ever entered. She is hiding her own dark secret which is the reason she entered.
Both worlds intersect in this stunning novel. Mallory meets this mysterious dark stranger who happens to show up when she least expects it. She finds herself having feelings towards Kaleb.
I loved both worlds that Melissa Marr created, The demon world is so dark and the Carnival Of Souls is a place where every bad thing you can think of happens. Its a story that after I read it I found myself still thinking about it and wanting to jump back into the story. i cant wait for book 2. ( )
  BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |
Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Audiobook Purchase
Reviewer: Me

Written in multiple points of view, Carnival of Souls began as a hard listen for me. At first, I wasn’t really into the narrator. And anyone who listens to audiobooks knows, despite if a books is awesome or not, a narrator can make or break the story. However, I am thankful I decided to stick with this insanely fun novel! After around chapter five, I got lost in this wicked tale of daimons and witches, good and evil, killers and thieves.

Though Mallory is the supposed focal point of this story, I think the true heart of Carnival of Souls lies with Aya and the other side characters that actually live in The City. Any time we jumped to the human world and to Mallory’s hidden life, I was wishing, hoping, and praying we’d get back to kick-A$$ Aya or the honorable Kaleb. Aya is one touch woman. Born into the privileged ruling class, she is determined not to be thought of as just another child-baring woman. Not only is she fighting in the competition to prove that women should be in control of their own destinies, she’s fighting for the right not to be controlled by a man. She’s willing to do, kill, steal, and trick whoever to ensure she wins. I loved how ruthless she was. Normally we see male characters take on these types of roles but not in this story. This time we get to see a woman be just as coldblooded as any man. It fit her character well and it gave this story its WOW factor.

Kaleb on the other hand, is from the lowest class in The City. He is fighting simply to earn respect from other members of society. His story was complex, deeply saddening, but at the same time strong and endearing. The twists and turns, ups and downs, Marr creates for her characters is almost unbelievable and unbearable. And once you get to the end and experience that MASSIVE jaw-dropping ending, let’s just say your jaw, mouth, face and other limbs will need picking up off the floor. Overall, if you love stories with non-stop action, fighting, strong female leads, risky violence, and heart-breaking storylines, then grab Carnival of Souls. ( )
  momgamerwriter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Having really enjoyed Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series, I was looking forward to this. I dived into it with the audio version. Listening to the story was a great diversion, and probably necessarily a slower pace to understand all the various kinds of creature/characters and secrets they kept from one another. I found myself often wondering, "Does he know... or does she know...." and thinking the story was kind of a mess - chaotic yet intriguing at the same time. The fight scenes were really intense, and there's a lot of fighting, which would make this a book guys would like. By the end, I did care about the characters enough to want to find out what happens to them. The author's website indicates this story outgrew this book. I'm curious where she'll take it. ( )
  readerspeak | Jan 22, 2014 |
If anyone gets a C&D letter from a comic author claiming copyright to pull the review. PLEASE DONT - he has no right to dictate to any reviewer or reader about a review. He hasn't got a court order. Plus good luck in defending a title (a movie with the same title in 1962) he wants to own that predates his own comic book. Also Melissa's book is not similar at all to his book so he hasn't got a leg to stand on.
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |

Wonderful. Dark. Sensual. Full of amazing lore. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |

"A centuries-long war between daimons and witches sets the stage for three teens caught up in a deadly struggle for power and autonomy in the exotic and otherworldly Carnival of Souls, the mercantile center of the daimon dimension"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,468,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible