Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

Carnival of Souls (edition 2012)

by Melissa Marr

Member:AyleeArgh
Title:Carnival of Souls
Authors:Melissa Marr
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***

Carnival of Secrets by Melissa Marr

This is NOT the next Hunger Games, I don't care what reviewers say. There's not the depth of meaning to the story like there is in Games. The only correlation I can find is there is fighting and selling yourself (much like the tesserea in HG) to get food, but I liked those characters. Even as brash as Katniss was, I cared what happened to her. I don't find myself connecting to any of these people. Oh, he's a curr. She's a witch. I just don't care. It seems like the story is all over the place, but maybe that's just my mind when I'm reading this. I can't focus and I can't make myself interested.
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
This book was really good. I loved the characters. The only thing about this book that upset me was the ending. There was no real climax to me it just sort of ended. But overall a good read. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
I need to star this off by stating that I tried to take my time with this audiobook. I want James Marsters to read to me all the time! *swoons*

Melissa Marr does a great job with the world building. The City seems like a shady place to live, even if you're a daimon. I also loved that the daimons can shift their features. I was wondering if there would be any other supernatural beings since we have witches and daimons. There weren't any though. I was actually happy about that because there's already a lot of information about the hierarchies of the witches and daimons.

The story is told from multiple point of views. I enjoyed this aspect. We are able to see each characters story, and how they all connect to each other. I think Kaleb is my favorite character. He's easy to relate to. Although, he's a tthe bottom of the societal ladder, he tries to remain kind of humble when it comes to his strengths.

Melissa Marr has created a unique world. Nobody is who they seem to be. Everyone has secrets. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Gritty, sexual, intense fighting, insta-mate, torture, belittling of women. I have a hard time thinking of this as YA. it was very original, and has intensive world building, that is never boring.
Mallory is raised in the human world by witches. She was taken from the Daimon world as an infant to save her life. This Daimon world is run by Caste system and our main hero ? Kaleb is of the lowest rank. There is one way up, fighting in this 'Thunderdome" kind of tournament. Many want up and out, some are just trying to prove themselves. This world treasures powerful violence. Meanwhile he is sent to watch/kill Mallory. There are twists on top of twists, it gets dark and then darker.
Mallory, at nearly 17 she training to kill Daimons, she armed, she's fit and she does nothing with all that training. Fairly, she is over protected in this book and I can see her using her training more in the next.
Kaleb, forces marriage, has sex with others, sells himself and it's all ok ? Then there is his pack and the devotion to it. He is a hard character to decide if I like or detest. His world is very different, harsh and does not follow humanities rules. He is a survivor.
There are several other characters that I can't wait to learn more about. They seem as ruthless as the others, but I have no idea which way this story will go.
I was entranced by the world and revolted by some of the actions in the world. Ms. Marr did a wonderful job with this creation, but be warned it is not a feel happy book. It's a dark trial, just beginning to develop. I will read the next book, I have to know how/what happens. Yes, it ends in my favorite of endings A CLIFFHANGER. arguh : ( ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
This book is intense. The world building is seamless and perfect. I really really hope that someday we can entice Ms. Marr to write an adult book in this world because that would be something.

I loved the characters and the people. I adored how this book is meant for teens but it's not sugarcoated in anyway. Some might call it controversial because of a few aspects but I love that it's part of the world and that Ms. Marr isn't afraid to go there.

Definitely will be watching for more in this series. My only complaint is the ending. I hate leave-offs. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |

Is contained in

Carnival of Secrets was originally published as Carnival of Souls in Sept 2012.

"A centuries-long war between daimons and witches sets the stage for three teens caught up in a deadly struggle for power and autonomy in the exotic and otherworldly Carnival of Souls, the mercantile center of the daimon dimension"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,106,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible