Victory by Carla Jablonski

Reason for Reading: Next (and last) book in the trilogy.

This is the final installment in this stellar trilogy about the resistance movement in occupied France. This third book brings us up to the last days of occupation and the final liberation of France. Tensions run high in the Tessier household as we see many different ways in which people did their part to survive and resist. The entire household is vocally fed-up with the aunt's collusion with the Germans. Sophie is torn between her feelings for her German "boyfriend" as a person while she uses him to gather information. Paul is frustrated with his inaction and becomes more actively involved in the Resistance with drastic life and death results. The mother is becoming friendlier with the Germans to obtain sources for her family's survival and faces accusations from her children. Marie, the youngest, feels helpless, until an injured Allied airmen falls onto their property and she finally feels fulfilled with her part in the war effort. Everything comes to a grand climax as Paul goes to Paris to deliver an important message from DeGaulle and meets someone from the past. Excellent volume, reads nicely as a standalone as well. Both starts and finishes with short essays on factual events to place the story in history. Fantastic ending to this trilogy. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 13, 2014 |
Solid conclusion to a good historical graphic novel series on the Germany Occupation of France. Solid art and story. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
An exciting and satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
It's the final battle. World War II is drawing to a close and the allied forces are moving to retake France from the Nazi’s. Paul, Marie, and Sylvie Tessier continue fighting for the Resistance in their own way. Paul’s drawing almost land him in jail, but he is saved by Lucille’s father. Sylvie continues to date the young German solider next door and getting information that is saving lives. And Marie...Marie finds a downed place and a young man badly injured. She nurses him back to health and discovers that he has important information for the Resistance movement in Paris. Paul must take yet another journey into the heart of Paris in the hopes of helping end the conflict for once and all.

The entire trilogy is perfect from beginning to end and is great for all ages. Carla has crafted a story that helps the reader understand history, what the time period was like, not only for the resistance but some members of the Nazi party as well and that they too were human. This is displayed even more clearly in this final chapter where we see the conflict within Paul's family that is torn over lost memories, things they've had to do to survive, and choices they made to live. I think what I like most about this series are the memorable characters that Carla creates, especially with Marie. Through the course of three books we see how she grows and matures to help the resistance, and yet...in many ways is still just a young girl wanting her family back again. It’s hard not to connect with the characters and allow us to see the war through their eyes, their reasons for choosing what they do and don’t do.

Leland continues to create beautiful artwork for the series, I especially enjoy the charcoal drawings by Paul that aid the resistance. I love the contrast between the two mediums that it creates to the rest of the story. One of my favorite things about the artwork though is the details that can be found in the lines. The lines around their eyes, they mouths, even their hands that give them character and makes them come alive. I especially like the scenes when they are out in the fields at night. It feels like we’re with them under the starry skies, can feel the wind blowing against us, and the grass rustling quietly beside us.

I highly recommend every book in this series, its absolutely perfect for helping readers understand this aspect of World War II and would also be helpful in discussing conflict in family during war times. 5 out of 5 stars ( )
  zzshupinga | Feb 26, 2012 |
This story of French resistance during the Nazis' Vichy occupation of France puts children in the role of resistors. Partner this graphic novel with Block and Drucker's photographic essays of Holocaust-era rescuers, RESCUERS: PORTRAITS OF MORAL COURAGE IN THE HOLOCAUST. Highly recommended. (41) ( )
  activelearning | Feb 4, 2012 |

In 1944, as Allied forces move to retake France from its Nazi invaders, the Tessier siblings risk their lives once more and journey to Paris, where they are to deliver top-secret intelligence to Resistance workers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,612,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible