dismiss

Wool (2012)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Silo Series (1), Wool (omnibus 1-5)

An epic story of life, love and survival at all odds and one of the most-talked and anticipated books of the year. In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies. To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside. Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.… (more)

English (290)  French (5)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (298)
Not quite a 4 but close. The last 1/4 of the book saved it for me. I almost gave up in the middle and I skimmed alot of pages. Too wordy but good story. I also think killing off the 1st 3 characters made it hard to build a relationship with the rest. ( )
  ReneeNL | Jun 29, 2020 |
This was an exciting read! I am very much looking forward to reading more of [a:Hugh Howey|3064305|Hugh Howey|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1327581631p2/3064305.jpg]'s work. ( )
  JonOwnbey | May 28, 2020 |
[This review is for the full Omnibus collection of 'Wool' novels.]

When I first started the Wool Omnibus authored by Hugh Howey, I found it to be a dystopian future and started liking the characters.

Plots & Plotholes:

Holston, who loses his wife when she desires to go “outside” the Silo. When someone goes outside they “clean” the lenses and other things outside the Silo, and then they promptly die from the atmosphere that breaks down their suit. Yikes!

But I digress. I liked Holston in Chapter One, then he dies.

I liked Deputy Marston too, and his secret love for his mayor, Mayor Jahns, a woman who is looking for a replacement sheriff. We meet Bernard, a guy who runs IT.

Ah, but no IT department you’ve ever worked at!

Servers, computers, and a secret agenda that rocks their world when discovered.

Loved Marston. He dies. Loved Jahns. She dies.

At this point I’m about to give up on Wool. Well, don’t. It gets better.

Though Jules, as a character, is thrown in almost as an afterthought at the start of the book, she soon develops into quite a character. A character that is fleshed out and somehow familiar. Ever known people who just know what to do to fix something? Who are clever with a machine? Who can figure things out conceptually? That’s our Juliette, who finally cracks the secret of the Silo, what IT is doing, the evil of Bernard and the strange ambivalence of Lukas, who thinks he might like Jules and who is the next person in line to continue the Order of the World.

As Jules develops as a character, at first I was afraid Howey would kill her off too – when she survived more than a few hundred pages, I was hooked.

Conclusion:

Wool tells it like it is, how the world is, how secrets and lies though may be better off to remain hidden, they actually aren’t. Revealing the light of truth can indeed set off a freer world, a bright one, a world that no longer is confined to a Silo.

Are we trapped into our own little Silos? What can we do to break out – follow the rat race or break out of it? Interesting concepts.

Can’t wait for “Shift”, the next Omnibus. It’s a prequel. Yikes!

James_Mourgos | May 19, 2020 |
This is a real page-turner of an apocalypse with lots of ideas. The premise is that everyone is living in a silo underground, and even thinking about going outside is the greatest taboo. It's a well realised world, the story unfolds with plenty of twists and turns, and I'm definitely geared up for reading the sequel. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Apr 24, 2020 |
This was a slow burner of a book. It was interesting enough for me to continue after the first section but I kept expecting things to move faster and it would but then it would slow down again. Bernard’s character was also too one dimensional. I liked this enough but it could have been better with better character development and pacing. By the end, I honestly was not invested enough in the characters to want to continue with the series. ( )
  twinkley | Apr 23, 2020 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,598,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible