Wool by Hugh Howey

Wool (2012)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Silo Series (Book 1), Wool (omnibus 1-5)

Recently added byrena75, ANonnyMouse, ccs3, hattan, blackdogbooks
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (273)  French (5)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (281)
I didn't think I was going to like it but was amazingly surprised! I read all 5 and couldn't wait to read more. The title I think was brilliant! Some people may not have gotten it but think of that saying..."pulling the wool over someone's eyes.". ( )
  Wapil | Mar 23, 2019 |
  Wapil | Mar 23, 2019 |
Due to a lethal, uninhabitable natural environment outdoors, all that remains of humanity now lives inside the silo, a 144-level underground community. Series crimes are punishable by being sent to cleaning, whereby the guilty is suited up and sent on a fatal mission outside to clean the silo's external sensors, so that the interior view of the bleak, grey landscape outdoors is once again clear. When Juliette, a worker from Mechanical in the nethermost levels, is tapped to become the silo's newest sheriff, she senses almost instantly that the silo contains many long-held secrets.

Wow, it's been some time since I'd held a page-turner like this in my hands -- one of those books that, during the part of the day when you aren't reading, you're still thinking about it and eagerly awaiting the next opportunity to pick it up again. I would have liked a bit of additional explanation/resolution during the final chapters, but I see now that it is the first in a series. Highly recommended. ( )
  ryner | Mar 21, 2019 |
I needed a long and compulsively readable book for a cross-country flight, and Wool fit that bill, although it would have been a more satisfying read if it was more tightly edited. Even though I was enjoying it, I found myself practically speed-reading through the last 150 pages or so, dying to finish it so I could start another book. I think the length of the story diluted the weight of it. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
This book is set in the post-apocolyptic future where people have been driven into silos due to the air on earth becoming toxic. The silo has 130 levels and holds thousands of people. They have been underground for over 100 years, so the people in the silo have no idea that any other way of life. The Silo is run by a mayor and when someone "gets a little mad" they are sent outside to a "cleaning". These cleanings are to make the outside window of the silo clear for people to see out into the world, and at the same time - the person who is sent out, dies from the exposure to the earth. No one has ever survived a cleaning punishment.

One day, a girl named Juliette is sent out to do a cleaning - sent out for crimes she didn't commit - and she is the first person who doesn't clean the lense. Instead - she walks over the hill and can no longer be seen. Her disappearance starts an uprising among the people in the silo that the people at the top are finding hard to control. Unanswered questions about their existence start to come to the surface and secrets will be revealed.

This was a pretty good book. Warning - it is a TRILOGY - so be prepared for a cliff hanger ending. Most of the characters are likable. There are parts that were a bit technical and drawn out, but overall, the story was unique. I enjoy dystopian/post-apocolyptic future books, and this one was very different from others I have written. I was trying to picture how the silo would work. There was no elevator for the 130 floors - the people walked. The people in the "down deep" didn't go to the top floors more than 1-2 times a year, and sometimes not even that often.

Check it out. I am anxious to read the next two books to see where the story is going.
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,203,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible