Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) by Hugh Howey

Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

Member:otikhonova
Title:Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:Broad Reach Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 509 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:scifi, dystopia

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (268)  French (5)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (276)
This is a really good book! I hope it finds a break-away audience outside scifi fans because I think it's really accessible, the characters are very engaging, and the mysteries never stop unfolding. I cannot wait to read the related series. ( )
  rapini | Jul 1, 2019 |
I hesitated between 4 and 5 for the rating but opted for 5 because this book is that dgood. In spite of there being a plot, the story is more character driven and the characters are well written, with qualities and flaws, even the "evil" ones. It's starting rather bleak but there's a hint of hope at the end. Now onto Shift. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
Ich mach's kurz: wer SciFi und Dystopien ohne erhobenen Zeigefinger aber Dreck unter den Fingernägeln mag, sollte hier zumindest einen Blick in die Leseprobe wagen. Ich jedenfalls bin hin und weg! Gut in der Story entwickelte Charaktere zum mitfiebern und -leiden (und gründlich hassen), immer wieder Wendungen, die ohne Vorwarnung um die Ecke kommen, eine in sich schlüssig wirkende Welt, und eingebildeter Muskelkater vom vielen Treppensteigen in diesem unterirdischen Silo einer kaputten Zukunft – mein Kopfkino hatte die letzten paar Tage gut zu tun! ( )
  Horrortorte | May 17, 2019 |
I didn't think I was going to like it but was amazingly surprised! I read all 5 and couldn't wait to read more. The title I think was brilliant! Some people may not have gotten it but think of that saying..."pulling the wool over someone's eyes.". ( )
  Wapil | Mar 23, 2019 |
  Wapil | Mar 23, 2019 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,352,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible