Wool - Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey

Wool - Omnibus Edition (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

Title:Wool - Omnibus Edition
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 548 pages

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

Recently added byneurokarma, private library, DeborahJ2016, OneOfDem, Carol_W, Kajola, thyatt, nsenger
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (234)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (240)
“Wool” is another example of a successful novel that started its life as a self-published work. Like Andy Weir’s “The Martian”, it well deserves its success. “Wool” is also science fiction, a gut-wrenching, edge of seat, tale of a dystopian future that takes us on a riveting ride from crushing defeat and seemingly futile death to a place where hope at least has a toehold. As I understand it, this book grew from a short story, which probably explains why the character who becomes the main protagonist doesn’t appear until well into the story. Prior to that we watch two other apparent protagonists die. The story is relentlessly grim at the outset. The system is rigged against the good people, and the “wrong” people are winning. So when it looked as if the third protagonist was also going to die, I confess that I checked the end of the book before deciding I wanted to continue reading. I’m glad that I did.

Howey has invented a very convincing world. A self-contained and rigidly regimented human society living in a “silo”, a vertical underground structure with 144 floors connected by a single spiral staircase. The truth about how this came to be is one of the story’s shocking revelations. Howey is a first class storyteller who creates an array of fully-realized and emotionally authentic characters. I really cared what happened to these people, even as I came to accept that for them to realistically make progress against the obstacles they faced required some of them to die.

Other than the rather odd structure of the story with respect to its protagonists, the main issue that I had was with Howey's tendency to take leaps in his story line at times, leaving the reader to fill in some of the important intervening details. There were some scenes I would have loved to see that just weren't there. All together, “Wool” is a powerful work. In many places it's not an easy read, but it is well worth sticking with it to the end. ( )
  Carol_W | Oct 24, 2016 |
Solid world building, a little too conspiracy focused for me. ( )
  kale.dyer | Oct 18, 2016 |
A fascinating, intriguing, compelling novel, in that the sheer vagueness of the tale drives the reader on. A future America lives in huge underground silos, and it is initially unclear why? Thus begins a thought-provoking dystopian epic.
  cryptext | Sep 9, 2016 |
I was interested in the story, but I'm also one of those people that's kinda put off by books that are wildly popular. I always feel a little skeptical. Wool, however, for not disappoint. This is easily one of the best books I've ever read. 500 pages and there literally was not a single lull in the story. Howey did an amazing job of fleshing out his characters and weaving an incredibly intricate story, full of unexpected twists, gut wrenching emotion and suspense. ( )
  BlackAsh13 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Silo #18 I loved it-it was fantastic! I really liked how Howey sucks you in at the beginning by throwing you little tidbits at a time about the world and the current dynamics. Some authors try to do that but they can't pull it off. You end up completely lost or could careless about what the hell they are talking about. But not Howey- he pulls you right in and makes you want to keep reading until you find out.
Another thing I liked about it was even though the story is about the dynamics of the underground society and the hierarchical structure, well that's not all it's about, it's about survival too but it wasn't crammed full of intricate political systems and stupid distracting lingo that gives you a headache just reading it. Yes they have their own society and rules but it doesn't overshadow the characters and plot at all.
What I didn't care for though was the ending. Don't get me wrong- it wasn't terrible. I wasn't cussing anyone out or throwing things afterwords but I did think it was rushed. I would have liked to hear more about what happened with the society and silo 17 & 18 after the last "big cleaning" but instead it felt like the author probably had a deadline due so just chopped it off in a hurry. Yeah I definitely could have used a few more chapters to fully tie up the end but it was still a great story though!
*If anyone knows of any more good dystopian/post-apocalyptic books similar to this style that you think I might like, please let me know. I would really appreciate it! This one was right up my alley so would love to find some more to read. Thx!  ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,837,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible