Wool - Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey

Wool - Omnibus Edition (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

Member:Benoit123
Title:Wool - Omnibus Edition
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 548 pages
Rating:*****

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

Recently added byPatNugent, private library, pressta, Lady.of.the.lake, peapea, insighter, j_phillips, jlrosenberger, Rena37, jens08
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (248)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  All (1)  German (1)  All (254)
Wool is a superbly written and masterfully structured character driven story. I couldn't put it down for the first half of the book. Much of the story is driven, similar to the series Lost, by a desire to know what is really going on, and who is pulling the strings. It would have been easy for the author to go into too much detail on how the levels of the silo worked, but instead he created just the right amount to make it feel lived in, real, and plausible. it reminded me a bit of stories like Rendezvous with Rama, where you experience a sense of wonder exploring the environment with the characters.

The story lost its way at the 2/3 mark when I became uninterested in the assorted things characters were getting trapped in, stuck under, or hit by, but it regained its composure for a satisfying (although somewhat unsurprising) ending.
  S.D.Falchetti | Apr 4, 2017 |
After each book from Wool 1-5 the intensity picks up and the storyline keeps you engrossed up until the end. I was a bit disappointed at the end hoping for a bit more of a confrontation to end things rather than the abrupt way it did end. ( )
  capiam1234 | Apr 3, 2017 |
A spectacular first novel of a post apocalyptic world in which survivors live in vertical silos that are buried deep underground. The writing and characters immediately grab you, and you CARE about what happens to each one of them.

I literally couldn't put this book down, and the characters, situation and circumstance ring true throughout the entire book.

The heroine, Juliette, is someone you can cry, despair,worry,laugh and ultimately cheer for. Tremendous. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
Perfectly competent page-turner. I probably enjoyed the prologue more than anything, which would function as a nice little short story divorced from the rest.

Fun dystopian world. The day to day world of the silo didn't feel alien enough to me, or hard enough, considering their situation.

Characters perhaps felt a little too neat, with a few simple motivations accounting for most of their activity. They also commonly exhibited the tendency to sob uncontrollably when experiencing strong emotion. ( )
  extrememedium | Mar 6, 2017 |
This was an amazing series! Can't believe I almost passed this one up. So glad I did not! This is really 5 books in one. The first two are somewhat of the same voice and then last three are of another. They all tie in nicely though. You just get a different vibe from them is all. I am currently reading the 6th and have the 7th as well. I liked the series so much I went to B&N to buy a set so I could let friends read (mine is on my Kindle), but was told it was print on demand and I would have to request a copy. They said the author was not as well known and was with a small publishing company. I was shocked because these books were amazing. In fact I think they would all be a good choice to make into a movie. This is definitely a must read for anyone who likes dystopian or just a great story:) ( )
1 vote annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,369,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible