Wool - Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey

Wool - Omnibus Edition (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

2,7742052,113 (4.13)158
Title:Wool - Omnibus Edition
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 548 pages

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

Recently added byabbie_g, rabry7, private library, jonake, tigerzii, ScoLgo, jakechladek, panda0100, INorris, passion4reading

English (200)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (205)
This postapocalyptic collection requires more than the usual amount of suspension of disbelief, but it's interesting nonetheless. Howey is excellent at drawing his characters, and the whole thing gets better as it goes along. ( )
  wanack | Aug 13, 2015 |
Gripping story and interesting (though two dimensional) setting. I immediately want to read the next in the trilogy. ( )
  rlangston | Aug 10, 2015 |
Probably closer to 4.5.

The world of Wool in incredibly vivid. The ravaged and toxic outside is terrifying and the underground world of the silo is fascinating. The story starts out with a bang and left me with a thousand questions right off the bat. And then things slow down and unfold gradually. The farther into this book I got the harder it was for me to put down.

I hope this isn't the end for these characters or this world.

I could say so much more, but I think this book is best discovered on it's own. ( )
  blue_fantasy | Aug 5, 2015 |
This was an odd reading experience. One of my book groups was reading it, and that gave me the incentive to finally read it myself, which I'd been meaning to do. But I didn't finish in time for the meeting and I didn't want spoilers, so I skipped the meeting. Then I found I had to keep forcing myself to go back to it -- it took me almost a month to read, and I kept starting other books! There's a quite slow period in the middle of the book, and I was tempted to give up more than once.

I'm glad I pushed through, because things really start happening the last 100 pages or so. And I liked the ending, although I would have liked a little more assurance that Juliette was going back to get Jimmy/Solo and the kids quickly -- those poor kids, waiting for her! But she's not the type to abandon them, so I know she will go back.

I don't think I intend to read further in the series. I am intrigued by the fact that Howey has given permission for people to publish fanfic through Amazon's authorized fanfic program. I mean, there are (I think) 45 more silos with stories -- more, if you count the three that have been "crossed off." Plus there could be other pockets of survival in this world.

Interesting read. Ultimately I gave it four stars in spite of that lag in the middle, because the set-up was intriguing, I cared about many of the characters (although there were some I had trouble keeping straight), and I liked the ending. ( )
  amysisson | Jul 16, 2015 |
Some stories begin in a brilliant way, then the plot is murdered badly. The ending of [b:Wool|12287209|Wool (Wool, #1)|Hugh Howey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327889474s/12287209.jpg|17263666] the first story had a lot of potential to take the series in so many directions. It is a stand alone story a sci-fi lover must read. Singling that out I give it a 4.5 in 5.
The rest simply killed a good plot for me.

My interest got lost gradually through the episodes. Nothing that unique. The logic behind the single difficult staircase through some hundred and fifty levels is given rather late in the story. I kept wondering from the first story as to why not build elevators to help the silo people who obviously are meant to survive whatever calamity went on outside ages ago. I asked why the technology and knowledge is stuck in the same place over more than a hundred years when they already have the tools and some the knowledge. Why new ideas weren't forming? The theme of segregation didn't quite pay up as such a big surprise to hold back till near the end.

Wool 5 - [b:The Stranded|13425846|The Stranded (Wool, #5)|Hugh Howey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1330545630s/13425846.jpg|18908634], the last story was the worst and the most boring to read. I hope all that underwater description and the descriptions on low illumination, fumbling with the suit, etc. pay up in the later sequels, but I doubt I'll be reading [b:Shift|17306293|Shift (Silo, #2)|Hugh Howey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1379003176s/17306293.jpg|23965619] anytime soon. There was poor logic and explanation on many other things like the power backups and radio communications.

Over all, all 5 books combined, not a bad science fiction - 3.5 out of 5 from me. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,782,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible