Wool - Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey

Wool - Omnibus Edition (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

2,4871902,455 (4.16)140
Member:Benoit123
Title:Wool - Omnibus Edition
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 548 pages
Rating:*****

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (183)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (187)
This is science fiction that works for people who dnt like science fiction. This was a great story, well written, with interesting characters, plot, and continuity. It did however remind me a lot of Logan's Run. ( )
  zmagic69 | Jan 18, 2015 |
The characters were compelling and well drawn. I liked the way the truth about the world was gradually revealed. There were many plot twists I did NOT see coming.

Very occasionally, I thought the writing style itself seemed juvenile and annoying. (For example, in the knitting scene. Also, why was that scene even there? And I say this as a knitter myself.) But it was only very occasional.

I want to read more about this world! ( )
  lavaturtle | Dec 31, 2014 |
I can't even start describing how good it is. Just check it out yourself. And it already has sequel novels, called Shift Omnibus, consisting of 3 parts. Going to read 'em right away!!! :) ( )
  otikhonova | Dec 8, 2014 |
a little slow to start, but once it got rolling it was a fun read! page turner, highly recommend. ( )
  Mrdrewk | Dec 2, 2014 |

This book was recommended to me by a former professional ice-hockey player called Elvis. A good call - it's set in a future where what's left of humanity is trapped in cramped underground silos, protected from the poisoned and corrosive atmosphere, and the worst punishment imaginable is to be sent outside for a "cleaning", to slowly die in the tainted air. Of course, the existing power structure is founded on lies and oppression, and one young woman finds herself with a mission to overturn the existing order. I really enjoyed it - apparently a case of self-publishing going right - and am rather surprised I hadn't picked up much buzz about it from my usual fandom sources. ( )
  nwhyte | Nov 21, 2014 |
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

117 wanted6 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,095,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible