Wool - Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey

Wool - Omnibus Edition (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

Member:Benoit123
Title:Wool - Omnibus Edition
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 548 pages
Rating:*****

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

Recently added byRossWhippo, luxamasio, Thedah, Netpilgrim, private library, Beauceron, h3steve, jkrzok, jezlyn26
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (250)  French (4)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All (1)  All (257)
I couldn't buy into the premise of the thing, and the first half was a bit of a slog, but the second half livened up a lot. I enjoyed the fact that engineers were the central characters and came up with plausible solutions for problems instead of just hand-waveyness. ( )
  SChant | Jun 22, 2017 |
Several years ago, I had downloaded a Kindle copy of the first Wool installment, but just never found time for it.

When I finally returned to it, I was overjoyed to be thrust into the masterful universe of the Silo trilogy, already completely written. While a series of books is nice because of the extended plot and time in a fleshed out world, I also commonly find myself losing interest as an author takes the time to produce follow ups and release new stories.

I wanted to horde the story as it unfolded, but relenquished self control to the book demon of addiction. When I completed book one, I was able to immediately move to the second, then the third. With minimal pauses, I could loosely control my consumption. I was a book glutton, gorging myself and fattening on the succulent verbose descriptions.

In the silo series, several hundred years, and generations after the uprising, a man is put out to clean. Cleaning is the action of leaving the safety of the Silo to die. Folding oneself into an environmental suit and step outside onto the skin of planet earth's corpse. With you, you take scrubbing wool, and spend precious moments of your remaining life cleaning the camera lenses that allow insiders to see the external world. You scrape off the grime and grit, leaving a clear image of the apocalypse, a visual reminder to others that the outside is uninhabitable.

Everyone cleans, but noone understands why. Even the most desperate, depressed, and suicidal spend precious moments before death scrubbing the external camera lenses. After completion, they are dead and littering the viewscreens with their still suited body. The world is so poisoned, even a human in a can will only last minutes.

Two years after his wife was sent to clean, Sheriff Holston follows her. His body lay next to hers on the hillside. Juliette from Mechanical has a knack for making complex machines function. She has been, questionably, promoted to fill Holston's shoes. She moves from the lower 144th floor range, where mechanical, water treatment and mining occur, to the upper five. She is an outsider digging into the lives of outsiders.

The Silo trilogy is about these people, living breathing and creating within the confines if a 144 floor reality. New life is restricted to lottery, food/air/water/electricity require the expertise of others, and one dangerous thought can kill everyone. Existence within a snowglobe, buried within a landfill.

The risk of spoilers is high on this novel, so let's leave it here:

This is the best scifi I have read since Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos. Get it. Read it. Thank me later.

The flow of the story was a bit off kilter since each character in the book is strictly rationed. Paper is scarce, and books are relatively inaccessible, air water and food. In the world of the Silo, Howey is careful to portion out characters (both loved and hated) in a well defined balance. Much like a generator out of alignment, Howey was able to take all the parts, mishmash, refurbished elements, and turn it into an engine that purrs like a satisfied kitten. It warms your lap and lowers your heart rate until the little bastard pulls it's claws out as cats will do at whim.

The series was released via ebook in serialized format, so ebookers make sure that you purchase the Omnibus formats rather than the individual serial issues.

Howey was picked up for print distribution so dead tree copies are also available. ( )
  JasonBrownPDX | Jun 12, 2017 |
Wool is a superbly written and masterfully structured character driven story. I couldn't put it down for the first half of the book. Much of the story is driven, similar to the series Lost, by a desire to know what is really going on, and who is pulling the strings. It would have been easy for the author to go into too much detail on how the levels of the silo worked, but instead he created just the right amount to make it feel lived in, real, and plausible. it reminded me a bit of stories like Rendezvous with Rama, where you experience a sense of wonder exploring the environment with the characters.

The story lost its way at the 2/3 mark when I became uninterested in the assorted things characters were getting trapped in, stuck under, or hit by, but it regained its composure for a satisfying (although somewhat unsurprising) ending.
  S.D.Falchetti | Apr 4, 2017 |
After each book from Wool 1-5 the intensity picks up and the storyline keeps you engrossed up until the end. I was a bit disappointed at the end hoping for a bit more of a confrontation to end things rather than the abrupt way it did end. ( )
  capiam1234 | Apr 3, 2017 |
A spectacular first novel of a post apocalyptic world in which survivors live in vertical silos that are buried deep underground. The writing and characters immediately grab you, and you CARE about what happens to each one of them.

I literally couldn't put this book down, and the characters, situation and circumstance ring true throughout the entire book.

The heroine, Juliette, is someone you can cry, despair,worry,laugh and ultimately cheer for. Tremendous. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,152,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible