Wool - Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey

Wool - Omnibus Edition (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

2,6021952,300 (4.14)153
Member:Benoit123
Title:Wool - Omnibus Edition
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 548 pages
Rating:*****

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (190)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (195)
Very good but long (it's original format was as an amazon kindle serial) post apocalyptic story.

Recommend ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
I'd say this was more of a 3.5 than a 4-star for me, but it was definitely too good to round the rating down. The world is intriguing and unique, and more is revealed piecemeal (with some of the pieces being pretty explosive) throughout the book. The protagonist (even to say who that eventually is would give a little something away) is someone whose stubborn tenacity and ingenuity are admirable. But--here is where it leans more toward 3.5 for me--I didn't really feel like I had to keep reading until about 200 or so pages in. I almost put it down before that, and I'm glad I didn't. I haven't read a lot of science fiction lately, so part of my own difficulty at the beginning could be because I was reading outside my usual genre so I'm used to different pacing. It could also be because it takes a while for the narrative to focus on the protagonist's story. But if you can get past the mid-way point, it is definitely hard to put down. It's also the kind of book you'd like to talk with people about after reading it, so you might want to line up a reading buddy. ( )
  judykwalker | Apr 25, 2015 |
I have read a fair amount of post-apocalyptic type sci-fi books over the past year, they are my guilty pleasure. I find that even if the book isn't very good they still entertain me enough to be enjoyable. This one has to be one of may favorites that I have read recently. It is well written and even though it isn't filled with action sequences it is a page turner. I look forward to reading the other books in the Silo Saga. ( )
  MosherKunin | Apr 21, 2015 |
I enjoyed this tale of civilization living in a huge silo buried underground. The first three parts are tight tales of morality and humanity. I found the last two interesting as world-building, but too sprawling compared to the first parts. ( )
  dougcornelius | Apr 6, 2015 |
Really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the rest of the series. I love Juliet, a smart, strong woman. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

117 wanted7 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,148,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible