No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (221)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (227)
It’s likely that I would’ve read ‘Wool’ some time ago, but for a brain glitch. I had it confused with another novel in a dystopic series, named after a product commonly made out of wool. I’d attended a reading of this other work, wasn’t enthralled… got confused and kinda wrote this off.
I’m really, really glad I managed to get my threads untangled here.
As many people are aware, the ‘Wool’ saga began with the eponymous short story that’s ‘chapter 1’ of this book. It was popular enough to inspire the author to keep going with the world. And I can see why: it takes a somewhat-familiar post-apocalyptic trope and creates a fresh, gripping and horrific story, with some twists the reader can be blindsided by. For hundreds of years, people have lived in the Silo – a huge, self-contained bunker. Life is stable, and people are mostly content – because it’s all they’ve ever known. Rules are strict – and one of the most strictly enforced is the one that states that if anyone wants out; “out” is exactly what they get. And going outside is certain death. This first part is self-contained, from a narrative perspective – and good enough that it got me to overshoot my subway stop on my way to work. That’s high praise.
The subsequent four sections in ‘Wool’ are not so self-contained. They’re all longer, and they’re all really ‘chapters’ rather than independent stories. Chronologically, they follow the events of the first section, and follow a growing conflict within the silo between the Mechanical group and the IT group. As with any story that deals with hidden knowledge and old secrets, there’s a gradual reveal which precludes giving away too many plot points. But rest assured that the whole book maintains a great tension, features engaging characters, and is both thoughtful and fun (in a dark way.) At times, the ‘feel’ of the book reminded me a lot of ‘Metropolis.’ Highly recommended for all fans of dystopic and post-apocalyptic literature.
I’ll definitely be reading the next installment, and I’ve also picked up a couple of the stories written in Howey’s world by other authors.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Currently not linked through whispersync
  nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
Would have been 5 stars if not for the inexplicably obsessive and possessive Lukas. He knew Juliette for 2 seconds and then got jealous about her ex, and all that sobbing! But otherwise, totally addictive reading. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
Now that I've read Shift and Dust, it really changed my initial review of Wool. I think it's pretty fantastic! ( )
  kosana | Jan 21, 2016 |
  kosana | Jan 21, 2016 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,142,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible