Wool - Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey

Wool - Omnibus Edition (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

2,7012022,192 (4.13)158
Member:jamestream
Title:Wool - Omnibus Edition
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 548 pages
Tags:Have Read

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (197)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (202)
This was an odd reading experience. One of my book groups was reading it, and that gave me the incentive to finally read it myself, which I'd been meaning to do. But I didn't finish in time for the meeting and I didn't want spoilers, so I skipped the meeting. Then I found I had to keep forcing myself to go back to it -- it took me almost a month to read, and I kept starting other books! There's a quite slow period in the middle of the book, and I was tempted to give up more than once.

I'm glad I pushed through, because things really start happening the last 100 pages or so. And I liked the ending, although I would have liked a little more assurance that Juliette was going back to get Jimmy/Solo and the kids quickly -- those poor kids, waiting for her! But she's not the type to abandon them, so I know she will go back.

I don't think I intend to read further in the series. I am intrigued by the fact that Howey has given permission for people to publish fanfic through Amazon's authorized fanfic program. I mean, there are (I think) 45 more silos with stories -- more, if you count the three that have been "crossed off." Plus there could be other pockets of survival in this world.

Interesting read. Ultimately I gave it four stars in spite of that lag in the middle, because the set-up was intriguing, I cared about many of the characters (although there were some I had trouble keeping straight), and I liked the ending. ( )
  amysisson | Jul 16, 2015 |
Some stories begin in a brilliant way, then the plot is murdered badly. The ending of [b:Wool|12287209|Wool (Wool, #1)|Hugh Howey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327889474s/12287209.jpg|17263666] the first story had a lot of potential to take the series in so many directions. It is a stand alone story a sci-fi lover must read. Singling that out I give it a 4.5 in 5.
The rest simply killed a good plot for me.

My interest got lost gradually through the episodes. Nothing that unique. The logic behind the single difficult staircase through some hundred and fifty levels is given rather late in the story. I kept wondering from the first story as to why not build elevators to help the silo people who obviously are meant to survive whatever calamity went on outside ages ago. I asked why the technology and knowledge is stuck in the same place over more than a hundred years when they already have the tools and some the knowledge. Why new ideas weren't forming? The theme of segregation didn't quite pay up as such a big surprise to hold back till near the end.

Wool 5 - [b:The Stranded|13425846|The Stranded (Wool, #5)|Hugh Howey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1330545630s/13425846.jpg|18908634], the last story was the worst and the most boring to read. I hope all that underwater description and the descriptions on low illumination, fumbling with the suit, etc. pay up in the later sequels, but I doubt I'll be reading [b:Shift|17306293|Shift (Silo, #2)|Hugh Howey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1379003176s/17306293.jpg|23965619] anytime soon. There was poor logic and explanation on many other things like the power backups and radio communications.

Over all, all 5 books combined, not a bad science fiction - 3.5 out of 5 from me. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
With time, everyone grows cynical.

It's hard to get swept off of one's feet by a book anymore. It's not that all modern books are shit. Not at all! It's just that I've seen it all, read it all...

But I haven't seen Wool.

Two pages in, it was already clear that Howey is Le Carre class.

Two chapters in, and I hung my cynicism out the window to dry for the duration*.

Wool is an abstract post-apocalyptic story. The Silo may exist anywhere, anytime. It is told with great sensitivity and great detail, and is simply mesmerizing.

The book is not perfect, and some of these imperfections become more pronounced in the sequels.

However, the scope of what Howey has come up with plus the level of writing grant him enough "get out of jail" cards that the book is still easily a 5-star for me.

______
* No worries, it wasn't damaged by the sun, it was as good as new when I later picked it up. Some time off was good for both of us. ( )
  meekGee | Jul 6, 2015 |
While it is a scifi setting, this very good story is more about the people who populate it, than about any scifi elements. Definitely worth reading. ( )
  Guide2 | Jul 2, 2015 |
Great world building and a good story, but the writing style is a little overwrought sometimes. ( )
  Astrakan | Jun 28, 2015 |

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,503,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible