Wool - Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey

Wool - Omnibus Edition (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

Member:jamestream
Title:Wool - Omnibus Edition
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 548 pages
Tags:Have Read

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (166)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (170)
I finally got around to reading self-published author Hugh Howey's Wool novel. I really liked it. I think it breaks a lot of molds that you tend to find in post apocalyptic novels. The characters move around a lot in the beginning, with a few surprise deaths and twists, and by the end Juliette is a well conceived heroine. ( )
  karencase | Sep 8, 2014 |
In an underground silo people work to survive. They have been told the outside world in uninhabitable . To even speak of it is taboo. If caught for talking about it can earn you a chance to visit this outside world. Sent to polish the cameras so the living can look out on this dismal wasteland. But there are many secrets to this world. From the underground to the world outside. This is a story that may answer these questions, or will it just create more?
I really enjoyed this book. It has been a while since I read a sci-fi book and I was really pleased with this story. I look forward to more if the author decides to carry on. For the price you can't go wrong either.
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
It was a 3.5 read, rounding up because it was self published with excellent editing & formatting, as good as any of the Big 6 publishers put out.

Apparently this was published in 5 parts, the first a short story that was haunting. The second was OK & it got better with each episode until the final piece, much longer than the first, was hard to put down.

I've read a lot of post apocalyptic SF & was surprised at how new & different this was in many ways. It actually surprised me at one point. That's unusual. It took a fairly standard trope & twisted it into something new.

I had some issues with the logic of the mechanics of the world. There is far too much centralization & isolation - mechanical can't be that centralized - but they were done that way to further the story, so weren't awful.

The characters were well written, very real. A strong woman is the lead character in the last few parts. While there was an overtone of 'good' & 'bad' in the first couple of parts, the later sections reveal that differing belief systems. Much of this is based on information. I could see both sides very easily. I like it when the 'bad' guys are so easy to empathize with.

Information & the interpretation of it is a major theme of the story. Howey made me wonder just how much I'm missing in my own world that would change my POV.

As good as it was, I'm not in a rush to get into the next compilation. This was good & complete in itself. From the story & the afterword, there is a lot more to this world & it will be interesting to see what else is revealed some day. In the mean time, I'll keep thinking about this, I'm sure. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I can't believe what a big deal people are making about this author and one of his blog posts. You can see screenshots of the original posts on this blog.

I fail to see the misogyny. I read the original post when it was still up and I wasn't offended in the least. It's not like the dude called ALL women bitches.

If I called a dude an asshole or a prick, would I be an automatic misandrist? That's a pretty mild blog post, me thinks. Dude even stated reasons why he disliked the chick. Not because she was a woman, but because he didn't like her bahavior. He also refrained from disrespecting her in person and he didn't call her out by name.

Not jumping on this bandwagon of over-sensitivity. Calling one woman a bitch, because he felt like she was acting like a bitch is NOT misogyny. Calling someone crazy, because he felt like she was acting crazy is NOT misogyny. Look it up, ffs.

The blog post was in bad taste, yes, but it was NOT misogynistic. And that's my two cents.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
This book is an amazing thriller. It is exciting and has just the right amount of romance, a very good read over all. 5Q5P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this to high school students and adults. I chose to read it because my parents recommended it to me. TristonB
  edspicer | Aug 10, 2014 |
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

117 wanted6 pay9 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible