No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (232)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (238)
A fascinating, intriguing, compelling novel, in that the sheer vagueness of the tale drives the reader on. A future America lives in huge underground silos, and it is initially unclear why? Thus begins a thought-provoking dystopian epic.
  cryptext | Sep 9, 2016 |
I was interested in the story, but I'm also one of those people that's kinda put off by books that are wildly popular. I always feel a little skeptical. Wool, however, for not disappoint. This is easily one of the best books I've ever read. 500 pages and there literally was not a single lull in the story. Howey did an amazing job of fleshing out his characters and weaving an incredibly intricate story, full of unexpected twists, gut wrenching emotion and suspense. ( )
  BlackAsh13 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Silo #18 I loved it-it was fantastic! I really liked how Howey sucks you in at the beginning by throwing you little tidbits at a time about the world and the current dynamics. Some authors try to do that but they can't pull it off. You end up completely lost or could careless about what the hell they are talking about. But not Howey- he pulls you right in and makes you want to keep reading until you find out.

Another thing I liked about it was even though the story is about the dynamics of the underground society and the hierarchical structure, well that's not all it's about, it's about survival too but it wasn't crammed full of intricate political systems and stupid distracting lingo that gives you a headache just reading it. Yes they have their own society and rules but it doesn't overshadow the characters and plot at all.

What I didn't care for though was the ending. Don't get me wrong- it wasn't terrible. I wasn't cussing anyone out or throwing things afterwords but I did think it was rushed. I would have liked to hear more about what happened with the society and silo 17 & 18 after the last "big cleaning" but instead it felt like the author probably had a deadline due so just chopped it off in a hurry. Yeah I definitely could have used a few more chapters to fully tie up the end but it was still a great story though!

*If anyone knows of any more good dystopian/post-apocalyptic books similar to this style that you think I might like, please let me know. I would really appreciate it! This one was right up my alley so would love to find some more to read. Thx!  ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I can see why this series won so many awards. Wow.

Plotting:
Well done, with twists and turns I didn't foresee at all!

Prose:
I highlighted several paragraphs - I only do that when I want to go back and reread some amazing stuff, later.

Subtext:
There were threads of social criticism throughout - reminiscent of Animal Farm, or Lord of the Flies.

Only negative:
The ending seemed rushed, and we never find out what happened to the characters elsewhere (don't want to give anything away.) ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
Nutshell blurb: The atmosphere of Earth has become so toxic that people now live inside a silo that goes deep underground. Occasionally, people are sent outside to clean the cameras that transmit images of the outside to the people who live inside. The cleaning is a death sentence reserved for criminals although sometimes people volunteer. These are usually people who have gotten too close to the truth.

As awesome as I thought this book was, I almost put it down at one point. The first 40 or so pages gripped me completely. Was Holston really climbing to his death or would he be saved at the last minute? What's this book about? OMG WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN???

And then we switch to a different PoV for nearly 100 pages and it sent me straight to Dullsville. Population: Me. Why are we following this person? Where is this story going? I found it to be incredibly tedious and I wondered if I could be bothered to finish it.

If this had been a library book, I might have put it back in the bag to go back. But, I bought it and I felt compelled to soldier on.

I'm so glad that I did.

Once we actually got to the main character's PoV things improved drastically. The action picked up as did the suspense and I zipped through the rest of the 500 pages in no time. (It helped that I was on holiday as well.)

The main character was interesting as were many of the secondary ones. The problems they faced were intense and left me desperate to know what was going to happen.

Once I got further into the book, I realised the relevance of the part which I thought was dull and when I read the book again (and I'm sure that I will at some point) I don't think that I'll find it as boring.

I'm definitely glad that I stuck with it and I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible