Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) by Hugh…

Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

3,5192491,505 (4.12)196
Member:jen.s
Title:Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5)
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:Broad Reach Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 550 pages

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (244)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  All (1)  German (1)  All (250)
Wool is a book made up of 5 short stories. They are all connected and make up a very interesting story. Everyone lives in a silo that is over 100 stories underground. Every so often there is a cleaning. Those who clean are sent out above ground and never come back. Why do they die? Why are they below ground? What happened? All these questions arise and most are answered. There are some crazy twists and turns in the story. I found it quite enjoyable. The world he creates in these stories is so well written. I could picture everything. I also really liked the characters. ( )
  MinDea | Feb 19, 2017 |
Oh, my gosh . . . this is the best book I've read in ages. I like the setting - totally original. I like the characters - layered and real. I like the plot - compelling. What I thought originally was an interesting short story has turned into a multidimensional, complicated, interwoven plot that kept me up. The idea of silos underground is intriguing enough. Most of us have read enough post-apocolyptic stories to know that something bad happened and these are survivors, but Howey makes them so much more than survivors. These characters are more akin to Adam and Eve than to Mad Max - I read this with a sense of promise and hope, knowing and hoping that - even though characters I care about keep getting killed off - the human race will survive the silos. And I want to read the story of how they do!

Be prepared to buy the next book immediately. This is one you can't put down, and can't quit thinking about. ( )
  LLRobinett | Jan 29, 2017 |
Interesting concept, however the writing is not very developed. Could have been a really good book if written by a more experienced and talented writer. ( )
  keithostertag | Jan 3, 2017 |
This book was stunning, but I love post-apocalyptic lit. I gobbled up all five little volumes within days. Howley weaves a wonderful story of a microcosmic society within an underground silo and what happens when the desire for something more is expressed and the wrong kinds of questions are asked. Wonderful world building here along with actually good suspenseful plot writing. ( )
  Virginia-A | Dec 21, 2016 |

Bad writing. On top of that, the book doesn't make much sense to me.

Along with the writing, more reasons to have disliked the book:

1 - Why the staircase?
The silo in which the story takes place has one mode of transportation along its whole one-mile height: a small spiral staircase. There are no elevators - even freight elevators are absent. Why? Doesn't make any kind of sense. Suspension of disbelief ruined.

2 - Dystopia not believable
The author chose to motivate the reason behind it as being both planned and necessary, as opposed to, for example, making the dystopia the end result of a series of well-intentioned mistakes. But any motivation is clearly shown to be false, along with any claims of necessity, when the oppressive system is overcome. Evil overlords? For goodness' sake!

3 - The 5 volumes that comprise the omnibus edition are quite uneven. The first three stories are just mildly boring. The claustrophobia of the Silo is almost noticeable. On the other hand, the last two stories are much more verbose and the previous negligible tension of the first 3 stories is lost.

As a dystopian world it needs developing as much as its characters, and unfortunately it never quite got there for me. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,489,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible