Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) by Hugh…

Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

Member:jen.s
Title:Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5)
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:Broad Reach Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 550 pages

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (228)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (234)
Nutshell blurb: The atmosphere of Earth has become so toxic that people now live inside a silo that goes deep underground. Occasionally, people are sent outside to clean the cameras that transmit images of the outside to the people who live inside. The cleaning is a death sentence reserved for criminals although sometimes people volunteer. These are usually people who have gotten too close to the truth.

As awesome as I thought this book was, I almost put it down at one point. The first 40 or so pages gripped me completely. Was Holston really climbing to his death or would he be saved at the last minute? What's this book about? OMG WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN???

And then we switch to a different PoV for nearly 100 pages and it sent me straight to Dullsville. Population: Me. Why are we following this person? Where is this story going? I found it to be incredibly tedious and I wondered if I could be bothered to finish it.

If this had been a library book, I might have put it back in the bag to go back. But, I bought it and I felt compelled to soldier on.

I'm so glad that I did.

Once we actually got to the main character's PoV things improved drastically. The action picked up as did the suspense and I zipped through the rest of the 500 pages in no time. (It helped that I was on holiday as well.)

The main character was interesting as were many of the secondary ones. The problems they faced were intense and left me desperate to know what was going to happen.

Once I got further into the book, I realised the relevance of the part which I thought was dull and when I read the book again (and I'm sure that I will at some point) I don't think that I'll find it as boring.

I'm definitely glad that I stuck with it and I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
Wow! This was brilliant! I loved the totally original world of the silo, and while there were some small plot holes, I found the characters (particularly Juliette) intriguing. Juliette is a no-nonsense 36yo mechanic who bucks the system. I loved the non-stop action. This was a real page-turner and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
I have a rule of never leaving a book unfinished, even if it's a bad one, so it's always a risk picking up a book as fat as this one. On this occasion, it was a risk that paid off big time. A few pages in and I got that rare feeling - that you're at the start of something that's going to provide interest and entertainment of a very high standard for a very long time.

Set in the future, in which survivors of some apocalypse have been living for multiple generations in vast underground silos, it's a chilling vision of the future. These silos are so big you have to make an overnight stop when travelling from the top floor to the bottom, and that took a bit of getting my head round. I liked the way the author imagined this world in all its detail, such that it became as plausible as possible, and that he created a really impressive female protagonist. But what impressed me most was the fact that not one single information dump was to be found within the pages of this book. Everything we learn about this future world - and there is plenty to learn - we see through the eyes of the characters, learning as they learn, seeing as they see. Showing not telling at its very finest. Can't wait to read the others in the series. ( )
1 vote jayne_charles | May 19, 2016 |
I can’t recommend this book enough. In a dystopian future, survivors of an apocalypse live in an underground silo community with rigid sets of rules. Did the gods place them here for their own good? Is there really anything beyond the silo – does outside exist? Who knows, because all their history prior to a couple hundred years ago is gone… Or is it? I skipped studying, housework, cooking and sleep until I finished this, and I’m so glad I ordered the other two books in the series before I started, because waiting to read more would have been torturous. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
Un libro sobre gente viviendo en un silo bajo tierra sobreviviendo a un mundo exterior devastado.

Y lo mejor es que no saben nada sobre ese mundo, ni siquiera se preocupan. Estan contentos con su silo y con su vida. Hay niveles con comida, niveles que generan energia, etc.

El libro hace un buen trabajo metiendo la explicacion de como funciona el mundo junto con la accion.

Sin embargo me ha parecido un poco lastrante a veces, como si intentara rellenar paginas con cosas que realmente no van a ningun lado. Por ejemplo hay un momento en que un personaje busca cierta information en un ordenador y hay una pagina entera explicando todos los resultados no acertados que encuentra para luego encontrar el dato buscado, cosas asi no añaden nada de valor a la historia.

Tambien el libro tiene bastante giros que se suponen que son sorprendente, personalmente solo me sorprendieron tres uno al principio, dos al final. Los demas se veian venir desde hacia leguas, y vienen lentamente por la forma esta de lastrar la historia que a veces tiene el libro.

De todas formas en general muy bien, lo recomiendo mucho, es uno de esos libros que no podras parar de leer hasta por fin acabarlo. ( )
  trusmis | Apr 30, 2016 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,730,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible