Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) by Hugh…

Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

Member:jen.s
Title:Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5)
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:Broad Reach Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 550 pages

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (226)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (232)
I have a rule of never leaving a book unfinished, even if it's a bad one, so it's always a risk picking up a book as fat as this one. On this occasion, it was a risk that paid off big time. A few pages in and I got that rare feeling - that you're at the start of something that's going to provide interest and entertainment of a very high standard for a very long time.

Set in the future, in which survivors of some apocalypse have been living for multiple generations in vast underground silos, it's a chilling vision of the future. These silos are so big you have to make an overnight stop when travelling from the top floor to the bottom, and that took a bit of getting my head round. I liked the way the author imagined this world in all its detail, such that it became as plausible as possible, and that he created a really impressive female protagonist. But what impressed me most was the fact that not one single information dump was to be found within the pages of this book. Everything we learn about this future world - and there is plenty to learn - we see through the eyes of the characters, learning as they learn, seeing as they see. Showing not telling at its very finest. Can't wait to read the others in the series. ( )
1 vote jayne_charles | May 19, 2016 |
I can’t recommend this book enough. In a dystopian future, survivors of an apocalypse live in an underground silo community with rigid sets of rules. Did the gods place them here for their own good? Is there really anything beyond the silo – does outside exist? Who knows, because all their history prior to a couple hundred years ago is gone… Or is it? I skipped studying, housework, cooking and sleep until I finished this, and I’m so glad I ordered the other two books in the series before I started, because waiting to read more would have been torturous. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
Un libro sobre gente viviendo en un silo bajo tierra sobreviviendo a un mundo exterior devastado.

Y lo mejor es que no saben nada sobre ese mundo, ni siquiera se preocupan. Estan contentos con su silo y con su vida. Hay niveles con comida, niveles que generan energia, etc.

El libro hace un buen trabajo metiendo la explicacion de como funciona el mundo junto con la accion.

Sin embargo me ha parecido un poco lastrante a veces, como si intentara rellenar paginas con cosas que realmente no van a ningun lado. Por ejemplo hay un momento en que un personaje busca cierta information en un ordenador y hay una pagina entera explicando todos los resultados no acertados que encuentra para luego encontrar el dato buscado, cosas asi no añaden nada de valor a la historia.

Tambien el libro tiene bastante giros que se suponen que son sorprendente, personalmente solo me sorprendieron tres uno al principio, dos al final. Los demas se veian venir desde hacia leguas, y vienen lentamente por la forma esta de lastrar la historia que a veces tiene el libro.

De todas formas en general muy bien, lo recomiendo mucho, es uno de esos libros que no podras parar de leer hasta por fin acabarlo. ( )
  trusmis | Apr 30, 2016 |
I read a blurb on the back cover of Wool by Hugh Howey that calls this book frightening, fascinating, addictive and, in one word, terrific. I fully agree with this statement as I was totally lost in this original story from the minute I picked up the book.

Wool is a dystopian story where the remnants of mankind live in an immense silo. The various professions are grouped together on different levels. The top level contains the mayor’s office, the sheriff’s office and a cafeteria with an outside view. The view, however is rather depressing, showing a brown world with the ruins of a large city in the distance and, numerous dead bodies scattered about. These bodies belong to people who have expressed a desire to leave the silo. These banishments are called “Cleaning” as each person who goes outside, takes some time to clean the cafeteria windows from the dust and debris that has accumulated there before succumbing to the poison in the air.

I didn’t know very much about this book when I picked it up and I think that may be why I enjoyed it so much. The writing is top notch, and the characters were well developed and realistic. Juliette who becomes the central kick-ass character is practical, strong willed and intelligent. I am amazed that this cohesive, detailed science fiction story started out as a novella that the author expanded into a full novel. If you are at all interested in dystopian and post-apocalyptic scenarios, Wool is well worth picking up. For me this was an exceptional read. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 21, 2016 |
This is the first book in a trilogy that was originally published online after being turned down by all of the publishing houses. It is now a best seller online and on paper. I loved this book! This is the book that led me to give science fiction another chance. I have recommended it to everyone I know.
I would use this for a Sci-fi genre unit or as a lit circle choice. I would also recommend it to any student who is a fan of Sci-fi and/or dystopian society lit.
  mtknick | Mar 31, 2016 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible