Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) by Hugh…

Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

Member:jen.s
Title:Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5)
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:Broad Reach Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 550 pages

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (224)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (230)
5.22
  johnrid11 | Feb 12, 2016 |
5.22
  johnrid11 | Feb 12, 2016 |
I’m honestly not sure why I enjoyed this book as much as I did. I thought that it was unnecessarily long; redundant is certain aspect; and the characters weren’t exactly memorable, but I liked it. Perhaps, it was the storyline, something that I found rather unique. Perhaps, even though it was a reasonably long book, it kept my interest until the end. I didn’t feel like I had wasted hours out of my life. Perhaps, it’s the possibilities of an expanding plot in the following books. I’m not sure, and I don’t care. I enjoyed the read.

The book begins and ends in a subterranean city referred to as Silo 18. Think of the nuke missile silos buried deep beneath the surface in Nebraska, Wyoming and Colorado. The storyline focuses on the mystery of how the culture and power structure within the Silo came about, and previous events that shaped its history. The mystery is eventually revealed, kind of, by the end of book.
The book was on the long side, 500 plus pages on my Kindle, and could have been trimmed down a bit. I got the feeling that the author embellished certain sections out of an obligation to the reader, to give them their monies worth, as opposed to actually adding anything to the storyline. I’m a firm believer that sometimes less is more.

When I say it was redundant in areas, I’m specifically referring to the seemingly endless trips of the protagonist up and down the Silo steps. Heaven help me, at times I felt that I was trekking through stairwell myself. I wasn’t enjoying the trip. I know that the first trip was to give the reader time to get into the head of the characters. I just think that subsequent trips could have been greatly abbreviated.

When I speak of the characters being less than memorable, I’m being kind. The entire book primarily revolves around the history (such as it is) and background of one character. In most cases this would not make for a good book. But in this one, it works, actually adds to the storyline and novelty of the plot.

The book comes to a satisfying conclusion, but still leaves many unanswered questions. There are no real details of the Silo’s history, only innuendo. The promise of more complex answers to a multitude of questions in follow-up books is rather enticing. I see the author’s game and I’m hooked.
  baggman | Feb 11, 2016 |
It’s likely that I would’ve read ‘Wool’ some time ago, but for a brain glitch. I had it confused with another novel in a dystopic series, named after a product commonly made out of wool. I’d attended a reading of this other work, wasn’t enthralled… got confused and kinda wrote this off.
I’m really, really glad I managed to get my threads untangled here.
As many people are aware, the ‘Wool’ saga began with the eponymous short story that’s ‘chapter 1’ of this book. It was popular enough to inspire the author to keep going with the world. And I can see why: it takes a somewhat-familiar post-apocalyptic trope and creates a fresh, gripping and horrific story, with some twists the reader can be blindsided by. For hundreds of years, people have lived in the Silo – a huge, self-contained bunker. Life is stable, and people are mostly content – because it’s all they’ve ever known. Rules are strict – and one of the most strictly enforced is the one that states that if anyone wants out; “out” is exactly what they get. And going outside is certain death. This first part is self-contained, from a narrative perspective – and good enough that it got me to overshoot my subway stop on my way to work. That’s high praise.
The subsequent four sections in ‘Wool’ are not so self-contained. They’re all longer, and they’re all really ‘chapters’ rather than independent stories. Chronologically, they follow the events of the first section, and follow a growing conflict within the silo between the Mechanical group and the IT group. As with any story that deals with hidden knowledge and old secrets, there’s a gradual reveal which precludes giving away too many plot points. But rest assured that the whole book maintains a great tension, features engaging characters, and is both thoughtful and fun (in a dark way.) At times, the ‘feel’ of the book reminded me a lot of ‘Metropolis.’ Highly recommended for all fans of dystopic and post-apocalyptic literature.
I’ll definitely be reading the next installment, and I’ve also picked up a couple of the stories written in Howey’s world by other authors.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Currently not linked through whispersync
  nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,158,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible