Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) by Hugh…

Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

Member:jen.s
Title:Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5)
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:Broad Reach Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 550 pages

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

English (170)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (174)
This mid-read review covers my experience of the first story and half of the second.

I picked this up on a Kindle sale based on word of mouth recommendation and I'm really enjoying it. The author does two things (at least) really well. First, he doesn't go crazy w/ world building exposition. He lets his characters and their stories reveal the setting. Second, he reveals his characters w/ how they move and how they physically act with each other and the environment, rather than through exposition and interior monologue.

These observations cloud my impression of very good post-apocalyptic fiction w/ rich characters and observations about the human condition.

I'm sold and looking forward to the rest of the stories.

The five stories in the omnibus were very well crafted. I was enthralled. Tempted to give it a 5 star rating. I may yet. ( )
1 vote nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |

I'm sold and looking forward to the rest of the stories.

nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Will edit and review later. Placeholder for now.
Needless to say, this book was fantastic writing. An almost perfect short story to begin with and a continuation that does the first part justice.

---

Wool is a fantastic dystopian novel, dark and gritty with the smear of human nature across its words and actions. But beneath it all, a hope for the future. Such flowery words, yes, but somehow this book manages to capture that essence for me.

So apparently Wool is a collection of parts, originally beginning with a stand-alone short story. I thought the first part Silo captured everything I imagined in a dystopian world. Deceit, confusion, uncertainty and the underlying search for meaning. The setting was just beyond the edge of imagination: stairs that go on seemingly forever, that it takes days of endless climbing just to connect blocks of people. A murky world with dark, hanging clouds and gusting winds. I can almost imagine it, the strain of muscle for hours, the fear of toxic air. But I would never want to live there.

The ending of part one was... emotion-twisting. It was the heady feeling for blood rushing to your head, and then suddenly the feel of your stomach falling into your throat. It was a greater ending than I could have hoped for. It wrapped everything up perfectly - the reason why those exiled always cleaned.
One thing though: I thought that the reason Holsten decided to go out was never fully defined. Hinted at, yes, but still uncertain at the very end. I am just not sure if that obscurity was intentional or not.

I was a little skeptical reading onwards because I thought the rest would ruin the greatness of the first part. And in fact, I thought the introduction of the next few characters (Jahns, Marnes, and Juliette) were lackluster. Until we met the "villain". The villain who is not a villain. Suddenly we are introduced into something completely alien. A miniature world all placed in this silo wit power plays and alien customs. The world and these people come to life.

There are beautifully written scenes. I fell in love with the passage where Juliette had to touch her lips to the bottom of the stairs for air, "kissing her salvation" of each precious breath of air. The scenes where Lukas and Juliette watched the stars, where Walker left his room for the first time, when the book was flipped to the section of what happens in the case of a failed cleaning, etc. Heart-stopping. This book is just so well written.

I have no complaints. Mrk, okay. Haha, I would say that Juliette surviving and getting into Silo 17 was improbable. And there was a bit of an open ending - because even though Juliette claims to make everyone work together and know the truth, I find it very unlikely. However, we don't get to see the aftermath, so I'll have to just hope for a continuation or accept that it could work.

But omgah, even the title is so spot-on. It isn't just an allusion to the wool that they use to clean, but the wool over everyone's eyes.

Five stars. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Will edit and review later. Placeholder for now.

---

Five stars. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
I finally got around to reading self-published author Hugh Howey's Wool novel. I really liked it. I think it breaks a lot of molds that you tend to find in post apocalyptic novels. The characters move around a lot in the beginning, with a few surprise deaths and twists, and by the end Juliette is a well conceived heroine. ( )
  karencase | Sep 8, 2014 |
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

117 wanted6 pay9 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,823,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible