The Garden of Happy Endings: A Novel by…

The Garden of Happy Endings: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Barbara O'Neal

Collections:2012, Your library
Rating:*****

The Garden of Happy Endings: A Novel by Barbara O'Neal

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Overall I really enjoyed both the characters and the way the book was written, however, I really feel like the book was very misleading on the back cover summary. It doesn't mention ANYTHING on the back about religion and faith and that is what the entire book is based on. Also, I found it to be quite bothersome that this was written and the woman is a "minister" and speaks about sleeping around and has a sexual relationship before marriage in the story line. As someone who is familiar with the Unity religion, it doesn't surprise me, but this book makes it seem that the Bible allows this type of behavior, which is completely untrue. That is something the Unity church "allows" as that religion tends to pick and choose parts of the Bible they agree with. I would have much rather known about this being part of the story so I could have chosen to read or decline to read it based on both Catholicism and Unity being a major part of the story line.
I would be open to reading another book from this author because based on other reviews it seems she doesn't always write this way. But felt almost tricked into reading this one because of the misleading summary. ( )
  booksandbutter | Aug 25, 2014 |
While this was an interesting sorry, I'm glad I read a couple of her other books first. The main plot focused too much on religion and her struggles with her faith. However, her other books don't touch on the subject at all and were a much more enjoyable read. ( )
  patrish | Apr 19, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to agree with many of the other reviews. This was an enjoyable book. It was my favorite kind of books - one where the characters go through a ton, but learn a ton from their experience. It was well written and the characters were real, interesting, and likable. I look forward to other book by this author, because I also really enjoyed, The Lost Recipe for Happiness. O'Neal seems to have a way of creating awesome characters and I can't to find more of them.
  traciragas | Apr 27, 2013 |
I enjoyed it very much. The characters were quite real, and well developed. Usually I don't like switching from character to character, but I didn't mind in this book ( )
  ShannaRedwind | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as a free Early Reviewers giveaway and enjoyed every moment reading it. I think I may have even found a new favorite author. I loved the depth of this book. It explored love and relationship from some very fresh perspectives. It explored young love just beginning, an old relationship that is at the end of the road, a relationship that was lost may years ago and the strength that comes from building a relationship on friendship. While this story tackles some very intense subjects, it was a joy to read. I kept turning the pages hooked on what would happen next. I highly recommend this book! ( )
  jenniandtony | Jan 5, 2013 |

From Barbara O’Neal, beloved author of How to Bake a Perfect Life and The Lost Recipe for Happiness, comes another magical, heartfelt novel—perfect for fans of Kristin Hannah and Susan Wiggs.

But when the going gets tough, the tough get growing. A community garden in the poorest, roughest part of town becomes a lifeline. Creating a place of hope and sustenance opens Elsa and Tamsin to the renewing power of rich earth, sunshine, and the warm cleansing rain of tears. While Elsa finds her heart blooming in the care of a rugged landscaper, Tamsin discovers the joy of losing herself in the act of giving—and both women discover that with time and care, happy endings flourish.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:22 -0400)

After tragedy shatters her small community in Seattle, the Reverend Elsa Montgomery has a crisis of faith. Returning to her hometown of Pueblo, Colorado, she seeks work in a local soup kitchen. Preparing nourishing meals for folks in need, she keeps her hands busy while her heart searches for understanding. Meanwhile, her sister, Tamsin, as pretty and colorful as Elsa is unadorned and steadfast, finds her perfect life shattered when she learns that her financier husband is a criminal. Enduring shock and humiliation as her beautiful house and possessions are seized, the woman who had everything now has nothing but the clothes on her back. But when the going gets tough, the tough get growing. A community garden in the poorest, roughest part of town becomes a lifeline. Creating a place of hope and sustenance opens Elsa and Tamsin to the renewing power of rich earth, sunshine, and the warm cleansing rain of tears. While Elsa finds her heart blooming in the care of a rugged landscaper, Tamsin discovers the joy of losing herself in the act of giving--and both women discover that with time and care, happy endings flourish.… (more)

59 wanted1 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Garden of Happy Endings by Barbara O'Neal was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,336,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible