50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girls) by Josie…

50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girls) (edition 2012)

by Josie Belle

Member:RhondaReed
Title:50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girls)
Authors:Josie Belle
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:mystery, good buy girls mystery, retail

50% Off Murder by Josie Belle

1 (1) 1205 (1) 2012 (2) AZ (1) bargains (1) coupons (1) cozy mystery (10) ebook (2) female sleuth (1) fiction (2) gave away (1) Good Buy Girls mystery (2) jenn (1) just okay (1) library (1) Maggie Gerber (2) May (1) murder (1) mystery (14) out (1) paperback mystery (1) ppb (1) read (1) retail (1) romance (1) series (2) shopping (1) small town (1) to-read (3) Virginia (1)

English (11)  Piratical (1)  All languages (12)
Ellie Gerber is a founder and key member of the Good Buy Girls, who get together to share coupons and ideas about saving money. When one of the girls, Claire Freemont -- the town librarian in St. Stanley, Virginia – is arrested for murder, her friends decide she could not have done it and investigate the murder themselves with Ellie in the lead. The police officer investigating the case is Sam Collins, whom the widowed Ellie has a long history with. It seems that he teased her unmercifully about her red hair – and broke her heart, although that’s not generally known.

Josie Belle is really Jenn McKinlay (http://www.jennmckinlay.com/works.htm) who writes several series that are favorites of mine. I don’t know HOW she cranks them out in such quantity AND quality. The tone of 50% Off Murder is a bit different than the others – there’s something about the dialogue that tickles my funny-bone and rings true – the characters use language that real people use.

The Good Buy Girls mysteries are now numbered among my favorites and Jenn McKinlay/Josie Belle/Lucy Lawrence is at the top of my list of favorite authors. ( )
  NewsieQ | Mar 14, 2016 |
Great start to what should be an exciting series! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Jul 24, 2015 |
50% Off Murder is the first book in the A Good Buy Girls Mystery series by Josie Belle. Josie Belle is pseudonym for the enjoyable author Jenn McKinlay.

Maggie, Claire, Ginger and Joanne make up the Good Buy Girls. Normally they like to sit around swapping coupons, planning the next shopping spree and discussing the latest bargains they have found. Those things change when Claire, the librarian at St. Stanley's library and Maggie find a dead man in the basement of the library with Claire's cake knife sticking out of his chest. Once it is known that Claire had dated the dead man before, she becomes a prime suspect and is arrested.

The town of St. Stanley has a new sheriff,Sam Collins, who was Maggie's boyfriend in high school. Their break-up was a bad one and Maggie still resents the nickname of Carrot top that he gave her, she knows that she will have to work with him to free Claire, not something she is looking forward to. The Good Buy Girls soon find out that the victim was known in the area, as he had a business investment business and had provided loans for some of the local business owners.

So the girls put their heads together trying to determine who wanted him dead the most.

I'm looking forward to the next book in this entertaining series. I want to see if Maggie and Sam can out aside their differences, what bargains the Good Buy Girls will find and to see if Max will finis his law degree.

A very enjoyable book. ( )
  FredYoder | May 14, 2015 |
Maggie Gerber and several of her friends belong to the Good Buy Girls a group that meets and strategizes frequently on how to find bargains. They will have to strategize in a different way now - Claire Freemont, one of the members, has been accused of murder. She actually did have a reason to want the victim dead, but so did several others, and Maggie and the rest of the Good Buy Girls are determined to prove that Claire is innocent and find the real killer. The only problem is that Maggie has to deal with pesky sheriff Sam Collins.

"50% Off Murder" is the nicely done first book in Josie Belle's Good Buy Girls cozy mystery series (Belle is the pseudonym for cozy mystery author Jen McKinlay). I admit the book got off to a rocky start for me as, while I love sales, I am not fond of extreme coupon clipping, people who are too frugal, or those that shop just because it is on sale, but I quickly got over that and came to like the characters and set up. What I liked best about the book is the close friendship between the Good Buy Girls (Maggie, Ginger, Joanne, and Claire) and how they pulled together when one of them needed help. I also like the fact that they all, including Maggie, had secrets they were keeping from each other as this made them deeper characters. The one thing I didn't like was the rivalry between Maggie and Summer Phillips, which is way over the top (and reminiscent of the feud between Angie, Melanie, and Olivia Puckett in McKinlay's Cupcake Bakery cozy mystery series). I know it is meant to be funny but a little bit goes a long way. Finally, while the mystery is cleverly plotted, I wish there were more suspects and I honestly forgot the killer was even a character in the book.

"50% Off Murder" is a bit uneven but has a nice set up and some great characters and I look forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  drebbles | Oct 2, 2013 |

A very enjoyable book. ( )
  yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425247023, Mass Market Paperback)

Maggie Gerber-one of the founding members of the Good Buy Birls- loves her quiet life in St. Stanley, Virginia. But all that changes when Sam Collins, her old flame, moves back to town as the new sheriff. On top of that, Claire Freemont, a librarian and the newest member of the Good Buy Girls, starts acting utterly strange.

When Maggie goes to visit her the next day at the library, she finds the body of a very dead man. Turns out the man is someone from Claire's past. As the handsome new sheriff zeroes in on Claire, it's up to Maggie and the rest of the Good Buy Girls to use their bargain-hunting skills to hunt a killer-while making sure they don't pay too much in the process...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:17 -0400)

One of the founding members of the Good Buy Girls, a group of coupon-clipping discount divas, Maggie Gerber, after a fellow member is accused of murder, must repurpose her bargain-hunting skills to put the real killer behind bars.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible