Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley…

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson) (edition 2012)

by Darynda Jones

240None47,965 (4.27)3
Member:STACYatUFI
Title:Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson)
Authors:Darynda Jones
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Reviewed for Publisher/Authors
Rating:*****

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet by Darynda Jones

Love these books. There just isn't anything else to say, those words explain ot all ( )
  arparish82 | Apr 8, 2014 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

Oh how I love this series! I always look forward to reading the Charley Davidson series and this book definitely did not disappoint. Darynda has a wonderful way with words that create a thoroughly enjoyable read. The characters in this series are incredibly lovable... or downright gruesome, depending on the subject, but seeing things through Charley's eyes make everything seem a little rosier, haha! I was laughing so much with this book! It's every bit of awesome! The humor in this book was off the charts, as I found myself laughing out loud in crowded places among people with questioning looks on their faces, and in my room among my cat who just meowed at me to be pet. The constant renaming of Charley's couch was wonderful! I'm seriously deciding on what I'm going to call my possessions. That should be fun task. The point where Charley decides that she should probably name her life became quite existential, and I thought it was a great touch to bring some philosophy to the story.

"Life wasn't a stack of cards that just magically fell into place when dropped. Unless life was named David Copperfield.
That was it. I would name my life. The minute I came up with a name for my sofa, which might or might not go by the name of Sigourney Weaver, I would name my life." (301)

In this book we, as well as Charley, learn more about Charley's ancestry so to speak, and her abilities as the grim reaper. The mysteries and their end revelations were well done and quite shocking, but I love how Charley handles these situations and how these situations help set up anxiety for the next book to come. The ending was awesome! I love me some Reyes and cannot wait for the next book! Besides, he still owes Charley a million bucks...

First Line: "I sat watching the Buy From Home Channel with my dead aunt Lillian and wondered what my life would've been like had I not just eaten an entire carton of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Therapy with a mocha latte chaser." (1)

Last Line: "She nudged me with her elbow and said with a cackle of delight, 'I think you guys should make some more of those brownies, 'cause that boy looks hungry.'" (308)
--------------
Quotes

"Awe swelled inside my chest. 'Did the angels tell you we were coming?'
'No, I saw you pull up.'
'Oh.' That was kind of anticlimactic." (87)

"I wanted to be angry with him, to shake my fists and snarl, but he'd been fighting demons for me. To keep me safe. It was so freaking hard to stay angry with a guy who was secretly fighting a war in your honor. Damn it." (125)

"Damn. I should have told her. It was hard when people didn't know they were dead." (275) ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

--------------
Quotes

"Awe swelled inside my chest. 'Did the angels tell you we were coming?'
'No, I saw you pull up.'
'Oh.' That was kind of anticlimactic." (87)

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
I liked this one but it definitely had its ups and downs for me. The mystery plot meandered a bit and I thought that a lot was made of Charley's PTSD symptoms only to have them pretty much disappear whenever it was convenient. Charley was also a bit more of a damsel in distress in this one. I don't remember her having to call other people to save her as often as in this one. I understand it with the demons but she even needed rescuing from the human "bad guys".

I'm still not sure about Reyes or their relationship. It seems to be based mostly on the fact that he's hot. I have no issue with hot guys but I would think that after 4 books there would be a bit more to it.

Still there was a lot that I did like. For me, the humor has worked better in the last couple of books than in the first ones. Some of the plot lines are actually pretty dark and I found the humor intrusive at times early now. Now I feel like the humor is more natural, and more a break from some of the darkness instead of "hey look at me! I'm so funny!" I also liked that Reyes did cough up a lot of answers about Charley's origins and some of her powers. That part was really interesting and opens up a lot of avenues for the series. And I have to admit that I didn't figure out the mystery part until the end. So that's always good. Overall, it was a very enjoyable entry in a series that I've come to like very much. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Every time I pick-up a Charley Davidson book I know that I’ll find snarky humor, quirky characters and a grade-A cut of man meat inside. Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet delivers all that and more with its jaw dropping revelations, countless twists and impossible situations; definitely my favourite installment to date!

One of my main complaints about this series has been its lack of forward momentum; as much as I enjoy Jones’ wit, the stagnant storyline has been taking its toll. I’m pleased to say that that issue gets resolved with this installment; I wanted answers and boy did I get ‘em! Aunt Lil finally realizes she’s dead, Charley uncovers more about her grim reaper origins and Reyes stops being so wishy washy by finally making a move. This influx of information left my head reeling with the possibilities but also plastered a huge, contented smile on my face. This novel felt like a giant step forward for this series and for once, I found myself enjoying the plot just as much as the wisecracks.

I hated seeing the toll that the events from book three have taken on Charley; she’s not exactly the most stable person to begin with. Her newly acquired reclusive habits have her whittling away her savings on useless junk from the Shopping Channel and spending way too much quality time with Mr. Coffee. I thought the “intervention” organized by Uncle Bob, Cookie and Gemma was a nice touch. They clearly understand their distraught friend’s needs and I enjoyed watching them come up with creative solutions to help an especially unique individual out of a tight spot. Despite all of these challenges, Davidson still manages to dumbfound the FBI by solving four impossible cases in under a day. Her methods may be questionable but her talent as a P.I. is irrefutable.

Reyes is positively fan-freaking-tastic in this installment; there are some great scenes between him and Charley that’ll have you teetering between wanting to jump him and/or punch him. He finally puts his corporeal form to good use in this novel and the result is downright explosive; although, admittedly, I was a little surprised that there weren’t any consequences, especially after all of the ominous predictions made by demon with the English accent. I suspect that there will be hell to pay in the next book.

Lorelei King continues to beguile me as this series’ narrator; her smoky voice and seamless transitions between characters are some of the main reasons why I prefer to listen to these novels. Her timing is, as usual, impeccable and she continues to deliver Jones’ punch lines with skill and class. You can’t go wrong with the Charley Davidson series in audio and Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet is the cream of the crop. ( )
  RabidReads | Oct 25, 2013 |
For Quentin, part-time pimp, full-time ninja, who even at his age, still says things like, "Thank you, Easter Bunny! Bok, bok!"

Sometimes being the grim reaper really is that. Grim. And since Charley's last case went so awry, she has taken a couple months off to wallow in the wonders of self-pity. But when a woman shows up on her doorstep convinced someone is trying to kill her, Charley has to force herself to rise above. Or at least get dressed. She quickly realizes something is amiss when everyone the woman knows swears she's insane. The more they refute the woman's story, the more Charley believes it. In the meantime, the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, has been cleared of all charges. He is out of prison and out of Charley's life, as per her wishes and several perfectly timed death threats. But his absence has put a serious crimp in her sex life. While there are other things to consider, like the fact that the city of Albuquerque has been taken hostage by an arsonist, Charley is having a difficult time staying away. Especially when it looks like Reyes may be involved. Just when life was returning to normal, Charley is thrust back into the world of crime, punishment, and the devil in blue jeans.… (more)

310 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,440,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible