SantaThing sign up ends in 5:42 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet by Darynda…

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (edition 2012)

by Darynda Jones

Member:ufreview
Title:Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet
Authors:Darynda Jones
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:**1/2

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet by Darynda Jones

English (52)  Piratical (1)  English (53)
Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet
4 Stars

The characters in this series are so engaging (that Reyes just gives me heart palpitations) and the story arc is very interesting. Nevertheless, Charley's quirky humor is getting old and her habit of naming her body parts (and her furniture) is more than a little irritating.

In this installment, Charley becomes the target of demons obsessed with killing her and also works on three separate cases: a young woman who has been tormented by a stalker since age 5, a series of bank robberies and a serial arsonist. The mystery surrounding Harper Lowell's stalker is the most compelling of the three (the others feel like filler) and the twists and turns keep you guessing.

On a more personal level, Charley is coping with the aftermath of the previous book's events by becoming addicted to the home shopping channel. Cookie thankfully comes to the rescue but Charley must come to terms with what happened and Reyes plays a big part in her "treatment". Speaking of Reyes, the man can be an obnoxious jerk, but when push comes to shove, he is always there when Charley needs him. Charley also has a couple of heart to heart talks with her stepmother and father, and things finally come to a head (that Denise is such a cow!)

The angels and demons storyline is developing in an enticing direction and I look forward to further developments with the whole lock and key agenda.

Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This is the fourth book in the Charley Davidson series. There are currently ten book in the series with the eleventh book, Eleventh Grave in Moonlight, schedule to release in Jan 2017. Each book in this series has been even better than the previous one. I am really loving this series; it’s hilarious, heartfelt, has a lot of great action, some nifty paranormal elements, and is full of action and mystery.

I listened to this on audiobook and it was awesome. King does a wonderful job with narration; she sounds exactly like I imagine Charley would and does an amazing job with all the character voices. I would highly recommend listening to this on audiobook if you listen to audiobooks.

Charley is dealing with some serious issues (after the whole being tortured thing) in some hilarious ways (addicted to Home Shopping Network). When she finally does venture outside again she finds herself with a new case and reason to creep back outside her apartment and join the rest of the world.

As with previous books Charley ends up getting involved in a few cases and mysteries which end up dovetailing together as the story progresses. The broader story also makes some progress; we learn (and see) more about the demons introduced in the last book. Reyes is in the story quite a bit and him and Charley get a lot more...ummm...face time.

I continue to enjoy a lot of the side characters just as well as the main ones. There is a new character in the story named Quentin who I hope we see in future books. I also loved the woman who hires Charley to solve her case. Of course Angel, Uncle Bob, Cookie, and Amber are all here as well and I love them all. Charley’s sister is in the story a lot more this time too. There is also Charley’s new guardian Artemis...what a sweetie!

The book is well written with lots of hilarious snark throughout. There is tons of witty dialogue and completely off the wall observations by our attention disabled heroine. I love it soo much. As with previous books all the excitement leaves Charley to discovering a bit more about her powers as the Grim Reaper.

Overall a wonderful installment in this series! This is quickly becoming one of my favorite urban fantasy series. I just love the characters, the mystery, the paranormal elements, and the writing style so much. I can’t wait to see what book 5 holds! ( )
  krau0098 | Nov 3, 2016 |
Charley isn't doing so well after the last book. Can her group of friends and family get her back the game again?

He raised a flashlight and scanned Misery’s ‘[her car] innards. Sadly, all he’d find was a mishmash of files, a couple of jackets, and basic survival gear that consisted mainly of Cheez-Its and an emergency stash of Thin Mints. Frickin’ Girl Scouts. Those things were way too addictive. They had to be laced with crack.
---Darynda Jones (Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet p 56)
Why kill them with kindness when you can use an axe?
--Darynda Jones (Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet p 73)
Insanity does NOT run in my family. It strolls through, takes its time, and gets to know everyone personally.
-- Darynda Jones (Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet p 101)
Don’t judge me because I’m quiet. No one plans a murder out loud.
--Darynda Jones (Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet p 232) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Oct 24, 2016 |
I so enjoy this series that I had to sit down and read this book cover to cover. Darynda Jones has a wicked sense of humor that keeps a smile lurking on my face. This the 4th book of the Charley Davidson series shifts from action to romance to heartbreak and tears, to laughter and then back again as her many characters interact in a fast-moving, well-scripted pace. This gifted storyteller teller has created a world inhabited by the Grim Reaper busy solving crime after crime, working with the Albuquerque police in her role as a P.I. This is a series that you could read out of order and still understand but I would recommend reading in order as each book builds its relationships upon the book that comes before. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 1, 2016 |
I LOVE these books :) ( )
  Raeadav | Mar 25, 2016 |

Darynda Jonesprimary authorall editionscalculated
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Quentin, part-time pimp, full-time ninja, who even at his age, still says things like, "Thank you, Easter Bunny! Bok, bok!"
I sat watching the Buy From Home Channel with my dead aunt Lillian and wondered what my life would've been like had I not just eaten an entire carton of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Therapy with a mocha latte chaser.

Sometimes being the grim reaper really is that. Grim. And since Charley's last case went so awry, she has taken a couple months off to wallow in the wonders of self-pity. But when a woman shows up on her doorstep convinced someone is trying to kill her, Charley has to force herself to rise above. Or at least get dressed. She quickly realizes something is amiss when everyone the woman knows swears she's insane. The more they refute the woman's story, the more Charley believes it. In the meantime, the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, has been cleared of all charges. He is out of prison and out of Charley's life, as per her wishes and several perfectly timed death threats. But his absence has put a serious crimp in her sex life. While there are other things to consider, like the fact that the city of Albuquerque has been taken hostage by an arsonist, Charley is having a difficult time staying away. Especially when it looks like Reyes may be involved. Just when life was returning to normal, Charley is thrust back into the world of crime, punishment, and the devil in blue jeans.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,645,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible