Let It Bleed: An Inspector Rebus Novel…

Let It Bleed: An Inspector Rebus Novel (Inspector Rebus Novels) (original 1995; edition 2009)

by Ian Rankin (Author)

Detective Inspector John Rebus understands that murder is usually very simple. Passion and greed are the most common motives, but when the bodies begin to pile up - two suicides, one murder, and the mysterious death of an inmate in one of Scotland's largest prisons - Rebus realizes that there's nothing simple about his latest case.… (more)
Member:PhonyGal
Title:Let It Bleed: An Inspector Rebus Novel (Inspector Rebus Novels)
Authors:Ian Rankin (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read in 2019

Let It Bleed by Ian Rankin (1995)

English (32)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (37)
Best Rebus so far. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
One of the better entries in the generally good Rebus series. From the small beginnings of two cornered teenage tearaways throwing themselves off the Forth Bridge, the thread unravels until the very integrity of Scotland seems about to come apart. Especially when Rebus won't be warned off by his superiors. ( )
  enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |
  enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |
I have now read all of the Rebus series books except for the last two. The first book I read in the series was The Falls which is #12. Since then I have pretty much read all the following books when they were published but when Rankin retired John Rebus in Exit Music and I thought there wasn't going to be any more in the series (he has since written 5 more) I decided to read all the books before The Falls. Some were harder to obtain than others so it took a while to obtain the complete list. This was the last one that I bought. It's probably a good thing I didn't read this until I was a dedicated fan because this is my least favourite of any books written by Ian Rankin.

It is winter in Edinburgh. Rebus and other police officers have been working on a kidnapping case, the victim being the daughter of a highly placed Edinburgh politician. Kidnappers got in touch with the father and demanded a ransom. When they picked it up the police were waiting and a car chase ensued ending on the bridge that connects Edinburgh and Fife. The kidnappers crashed their car into the guard rail and when Rebus got out of the car he was in and headed toward them the two young men hugged each other and jumped over the bridge landing on a trawler going out to sea. There was no trace of the supposed kidnap victim. Rebus suspects that the two were cashing in on the publicity about the missing girl and when they realized they would go to jail for their hoax they decided to end their lives instead. So suicide is on Rebus' mind when a few days later a just-released prisoner shot himself with a sawed-off shotgun in front of a city councillor. It's a little slow in the CID right then so Rebus wants to investigate this very public suicide. He has to get permission from his one-time lover, Gill Templar, who has been put in charge of the CID temporarily (the former incumbent was badly injured in the car crash on the bridge). Gill is all business with Rebus and makes it clear there will be no resumption of their affair. Rebus is back in his flat having been kicked out of Patience Aitken's house. So he's back to his old lifestyle of work and boozing until he gets suspended for continuing his investigation when told to desist. Then Rebus keeps investigating and boozing using Siobhan Clarke and Brian Holmes to access records when he needs to. He finds details about some high finance schemes for new businesses which get government funding for providing jobs. And someone doesn't want him delving into those schemes. Of course, this just makes Rebus more determined to find out what is going on. It was all very convoluted and I was never quite convinced of the plot. In addition there was an episode where Rebus went back to Patience's house because his daughter Samantha is living with Patience now which gave me a bad taste as Rebus seemed to be willfully malevolent.

There was one sentence in the book that I thought was pure genius. "The streets grew quieter after the students had slouched home on the wings of blasphemy." That and the homage to The Rolling Stones in the title made me give Rankin a little slack for this less than stellar book. ( )
  gypsysmom | Nov 14, 2018 |
Inspector Rebus discovers the byzantine world of politics and government, rubbing elbows with its mandarins. It's an interesting delve into the multiple layers that exist from municipal to territorial, but it's lengthy. While Rankin keeps us tugging along, I found myself wandering from the intrigue and long cast of characters. Well-crafted but a bit long for my taste. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Nov 9, 2018 |
A winter night, screaming out of Edinburgh.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,842,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible