Letters from Prague by Sue Gee

Letters from Prague (1994)

by Sue Gee

281584,255 (2)None

Letters from Prague by Sue Gee was an enjoyable book. It's about Harriet and Karel, who fall in love in London during the time of the Prague spring. When the tanks from Russia arrive at Wasclav's Square Karel decides to go back to Prague, to become part of the resistance. After 25 years Harriet, now divorced, decides to make a journey to Prague with her 10 year old daughter, hoping to meet Karel again. The journey takes her to Brussels, where her brother lives, Berlin, and finally Prague. When I picked this book I wasn't aware that I'd read about Berlin only 4 weeks or so after I had been there - as I said before I enjoy reading about places I've visited and had a good impression of her description of Berlin of 1994. Sitting at the airport waiting for a connection can in no way be compared to actually walking the streets of the mala strana, or visiting Kakfa's grave. But her descriptions made me remember my trip last December and I still had to smile about the coincidence of reading a book set in Berlin and Prague. And of course I seem to enjoy the plot line of young love lost and found again more now than I used to.
  verenka | Jun 26, 2010 |
To Jamie
And to the memory of my brave and lovely mother
On a wet night in April, 1969, Harriet Pickering sat in the striped armchair by her bedroom window, reading a letter from Prague.

Following THE LAST GUESTS OF THE SEASON(1992), a love story about a woman who falls in love with a Czech student in 1968, just before his country is invaded. Twenty years later, she decides to go to Czechoslovakia to look for him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,435,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible